Anyone up for Utah fishing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Our plan (hope) is to do some fly fishing for trout in Utah streams, either before or after the hop, skip and jump rally.

Since the last rally stop will be at Torrey, just 20 miles from Loa, I'm thinking that will be a good stepping off point for fishing. Continue through Loa and you're heading up Boulder Mountain towards FishLake. Along the way you'll follow the Fremont River, a great trout stream that is home to five different species of trout.

A great fishing guide can be found at The Quiet Fly Fisher in Loa.

If you didn't yet see it, here's a brief video of yours truly taken by fishing guide Mike while I was fly fishing the Fremont.

We could arrange a group deal with Mike if anyone is interested. He'll take groups of 3 for half or full days, and will provide all the gear if you don't have your own. A Utah fishing license will be required.

I am trying to make ast least the start in Zion, we have to head up to Ogden next, so the other stops won't work for us.  Maybe then? 

Hi Bill. I'm searching my fishing books and online for some good fly fishing near Zion. The Virgin River (east fork?) runs right past the Zion River RV Resort (our first stop), but everything I'm reading says we need to be up on the north fork for decent trout fishing. I'll continue researching, but could use some local knowledge.

Here you go Tom this should help ya.  http://www.utah.com/fish/flyfishing.htm  Personally I have not done any  fishing down around Zion, I have fished all over the areas around Boulder, Fishlake, and Ottercreek.  There are some great little flyfishing streams after you pass fish lake and before you go past Johnson to the fremont.  Have you tried UM and Seven Mile Creeks?  The rivers coming into and going out of Ottercreek used be be great as well but have not been down to that part of the country fishing in some ten years now.  I will be fishing the northeastern part of the state this summer, Moonlake, Yellowstone Creek, East Fork of the Bear to name a few.

Thanks Lee. I checked that site before my last posting, and their entry for the Virgin River shows:

"Virgin River - Contains rainbow trout along Highway 22 between U-24 and U-12. Near Zions National Park it gets muddy and only contains some endangered suckers from then on. The North Fork contains trout north of Zion National Park and south of Navajo Lake."

I'll check out your other suggestions. Should keep me busy for a while  ;D

Some useful information on licenses and regulations at http://wildlife.utah.gov/guidebooks/2009_fishing/

That was an interesting post.  Thanks for sharing.  I dont think I have fished Panquitch lake in about 25 years now.  Used to fish a lot more lakes in my younger days with dad.  But when I went off on my own I developed more of a love for river fishing and that great fight when you hook one.  I do plan to hit the Moonlake and Yellowstone Creek area in June this year.  And its been two years since my last visit to that area of Utah.

Anyone interested in using the services of a guide in the Boulder Mountain area, here are the rates he's quoted:

1 person, half day $150.
2 people, half day $230 ($115 each).
3 people, half day $300 ($100 each).

Anyone interested, let me know if you'd like to fish in a group of 2 or 3. There are currently openings. If you'd prefer to fish alone, you can book your guide at The Quiet Fly Fisher. Owner Mike James will do his best to accommodate you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom