12V Portable Tire Inflaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GaryB

Hello All:  I'm buying a Jayco 5er with 15" D-rated tires.  I'd like to get a small portable inflater just to top off the tires.  It has to be 12V capable since the unit will be kept in a storage lot without 110V power access.  Preferably it can also run off 110V when power is available.  Although I realize a 12V model won't be as powerful as a large 110V compressor with tank, I only plan to use it to top off the truck & RV tires up to a max of 80psi - not to fill tires that are completely flat (I'll probably call ERS for that). 

I hear some 12V models are available that plug into the cigarette lighter receptacle, and others clip directly to the battery.  I found a couple in the links below.  Any recommendations or feedback would be much appreciated since I've never bought an inflater/compressor before.  I'm trying to avoid pulling a 35 ft 5er into a gas station just to add 5psi of air to the tires.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IE0YIQ/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3027754649&ref=pd_sl_4y75exwt52_b

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93186

Thanks!
Gary

GaryB said:
Hello All:  I'm buying a Jayco 5er with 15" D-rated tires.  I'd like to get a small portable inflater just to top off the tires.  It has to be 12V capable since the unit will be kept in a storage lot without 110V power access.  Preferably it can also run off 110V when power is available.  Although I realize a 12V model won't be as powerful as a large 110V compressor with tank, I only plan to use it to top off the truck & RV tires up to a max of 80psi - not to fill tires that are completely flat (I'll probably call ERS for that).

"Topping off" at above 65 psi or so is what you need the better compressor for. The first part of filling a very low tire is the easy part. You will find it will take a long time to fill a RV tire from 75 to 80 psi on a cheaper air compressor. The better air compressors will have a CFM rating at 90 psi. Cheaper ones won't even mention any CFM rating.

"I hear some 12V models are available that plug into the cigarette lighter receptacle, and others clip directly to the battery.  I found a couple in the links below.  Any recommendations or feedback would be much appreciated since I've never bought an inflater/compressor before.  I'm trying to avoid pulling a 35 ft 5er into a gas station just to add 5psi of air to the tires.

Don't even think about the ones that use a cigarette lighter. The more powerful ones will NOT have such an option because they draw a lot of current and would  blow the fuse for your lighter. Clip on direct to the battery and if you must get a 12VDC one get the best one you can find. The one that draws the most current  out of your battery will most likely be the better one.

Do NOT make the mistake of thinking a higher PSI rating is better. There are a lot of 12 VDC air compressors that say they are good for 275 psi that are really junk. All you should care about with the PSI rating is that it will got to the PSI that you require, 80 psi in this case.

If you must have it run from 12 VDC, I like the specs of this one.

But think of this option:

Get a very good 120 VAC tankless air compressor such as this one. Also buy a portable air tank. Fill up the air tank wherever you have 120 VAC. Bring the portable air tank to your tires where there is no ~120 VAC. Get the biggest portable air tank you can take with you and fill it to it's max rating. This way, you can top off your tires fast with no AC and you have the 120 VAC compressor when you need it.

-Don- SSF, CA​

The ones that hook to the battery are more likely to do the job well. The lighter socket is often limited in its amp capacity - maybe 10-15 amps.

You should be more concerned with air flow than pressure. It's simple to make a compressor that will produce 200 psi, but it only moves an infinitesimal amount of air and takes forever to add 5 psi. It's not just your time that is wasted - the compressor overheats and shuts down or blows a fuse.

I'd go with the Harbor Freight unit - they give meaningful specs and they didn't spend money making the covers pretty. That is more likely a working tool than a pretty toy. Harbor Freight stuff is not the best quality made, but neither is Black & Decker.

Back
Top Bottom