Pets and camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nozzleman

I was wondering what pets everybody likes to take camping with them. We like to bring our English Mastiff with us. My daughter likes to put his leash on and take him for walks around the park. Has anybody had any bad experiences with pets and camping?

Nozzleman said:
I was wondering what pets everybody likes to take camping with them. We like to bring our English Mastiff with us. My daughter likes to put his leash on and take him for walks around the park. Has anybody had any bad experiences with pets and camping?

We travel with a Yorkie. Haven't had any problems. Just make sure you always clean up after your pet.

Not knowing the size of your daughter, my only concern would be if she could control the dog if other animals came around while she was walking the dog. I was walking our Yorkie once and about a 10 year old boy was walking his large dog. When his dog saw my dog he came bounding over. He just wanted to "sniff & smell" but drug the little boy about 20 feet. The boy's hand was through the leash so he couldn't let go. An eighty pound child can't control a hundred pound dog.

We  have camped with out German Shorthair Pointer (weighs about 70 lbs).  Haven't  heard any complaints.

This does bring up a point..    I've noticed that a lot of CG's have  "Pet Restrictions"  in their listings in Woodall's.
I'm betting the exact  definition is not standard. ???  Anybody know if it does vary from Camp to camp, and what iit was?
Jim

It varies from campground to campground. I've see places that say "no pets over 50 lbs." Others go by breed like "no pitbulls". Nothing is standard. The only way to know is call and ask.

Nozzleman said:

Trixie (the doggy in my avatar, which came from the San Mateo, CA SPCA) and "Reno" the very pesky doggy below that came from the Reno SPCA.  Never had any problems and the doggies are off leash at most stops. They are only leashed where it's required.

-Don-​

Attachments

• RENO.JPG
    RENO.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 35
Jim,

There are certain breeds which may not be acceptable at campgrounds and that seems to be most everywhere.  Rottweiler, pit bulls and possibly Chows.  Although it's a shame to stereotype, but I think it's an insurance issue.  Some homeowner insurance companies will not insure you if you have specific breeds.  That could be the same with campgrounds.

Marsha~ (who has a 70 lb standard poodle)

As you can see in my signature, we travel with three dogs.  The only problem was the time one of the Beagles was constipated.  (We won't go into the mineral oil remedy, or the results of same...... ::))

We always call ahead to make sure a campground doesn't have a problem with our having dogs - or the fact that we have three of them.

We keep a roll of these bags in the rig.

(I don't have any financial interest in that company)

Attachments

• Dogpoopbag.jpg
    Dogpoopbag.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 62
The only problem we have with our ShiTzu is here at the park we are wintering in, people carry treats with them for all the dogs.  Can't walk 50 yards without having to stop and visit  ::)  On the other hand, pets are probably the #1 common denominator for so many that it helps us get acquainted faster, and Hey, that's one of the main reasons for RVing....making new friends :D

The Clean Up After Your Pet rule at this park is enforced.....no warnings...if you're caught not cleaning up you are out of here!!

We travel with three Border Collies. Only trouble we have is the male wants to drive and the two females criticize his abilities. He can't back up worth a darn.

We travel with our old cat and a 110 lb Bernese Mtn. Dog, soon to be 2 BMD's, used to have a Newfoundland (140 lbs) . We always clean up after the dogs, I just wish they made BIGGER poop bags.

SNOWDOGSX2 said:
We travel with our old cat and a 110 lb Bernese Mtn. Dog, soon to be 2 BMD's, used to have a Newfoundland (140 lbs) . We always clean up after the dogs, I just wish they made BIGGER poop bags.

With those big puppies, I would recommend Hefty Tall Kitchen bags (13 gallon)  ;D ;D

Dumb question time ....

Many moons ago, when horses were used to pull heavy wagons in the UK, I recall they used to have a poop catcher, almost like a diaper, slung under their tails. Do such things exist for dogs?

We didn't use poop catchers - we couldn't afford the horse, and used Shanks' pony for transport.

Tom said:
Dumb question time ....

Many moons ago, when horses were used to pull heavy wagons in the UK, I recall they used to have a poop catcher, almost like a diaper, slung under their tails. Do such things exist for dogs?

We didn't use poop catchers - we couldn't afford the horse, and used Shanks' pony for transport.

Your question is timely in that there was a feature on TV (maybe Leno?) this week that showed exactly that, a poop catcher attached to a dog.  It looked ridiculous and I seriously doubt that it would work very well.  Maybe there's an application for us aging folks????

Maybe there's an application for us aging folks?

Denny,

Some years ago I was visiting NASA Ames in Sunnyvale, CA. Our lunchtime speaker was a "live" astronaut who was as down to Earth as anyone I've met. Dressed in his blue NASA ground suit, he used a slide show to punctuate his talk, which attempted to show that an astronaut's job is far from being how most folks perceive.

He explained that there are 3 times when they can't get out of the seat - takeoff, landing, and IIRC re-entry. What do they do when they gotta go? Click - a photo of himself wearing a huge diaper.

He proceeded to explain that "up there" they don't have flush toilets, so the astronauts are taught to "aim" accurately. Click - looking down a commode, with a camera pointing up. Click - a monitor that they look at while perfecting their aim.

We travel with our 75-pound yellow lab Gordon. No problems other than an occasional campground that is prejudiced against dogs over 20 pounds and they have almost always said "oh, ok" when we tell them it's a lab. I have seen breed-specific bans on Dobermans, Pit Bulls, Rotweillers, and German Shepherds. I have seen size limitations all the way down to 15 pounds. Some parks have dog runs or specific dog areas. I always ask when checking in. Usually the only rule is "pick up after your dog" and SHAME ON ANY WHO DON'T (regardless of the size of the poop or your location).

Here are my rules:
1. ALWAYS pick up after your dog.
2. Keep your dog under control. Not every dog on a leash is under control.
3. Remember that not everyone loves your hairy child and don't let the dog run up to greet people unless he's invited.
4. If someone tells you that your dog barks when you're gone, believe them and do something about it.
5. Follow ALL the posted and published pet rules. If you don't, that park may ban all dogs and then I can't stay there.
6. If a campground doesn't want my hairy child, then I don't want to stay there and I find somewhere else that does want the beast.

Wendy
Bakersfield CA

You forgot number 7 which applies to non dog owners:

7: Always carry dog treats for giving to dogs with the owners permission.  Lot of four legged friends that remember you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom