Pets and camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
Dumb question time ....

Be careful, or you might just want to bring back that section. ;D

I have been saving up all my dumb questions for when you do.  ;D

But I can't believe this thread turned into a discussion about doggy do-do. ;D

But while we are at it, anybody want to discuss a good way of how to pick up doggy diarrhea?

-Don- Reno, NV

DonTom said:
Be careful, or you might just want to bring back that section. ;D

I have been saving up all my dumb questions for when you do.  ;D

But I can't believe this thread turned into a discussion about doggy do-do. ;D

But while we are at it, anybody want to discuss a good way of how to pick up doggy diarrhea?

-Don- Reno, NV

As a professional pooper scooper with over 40 years experience, I've found that the best way to scoop up diarrhea (note that I didn't say "pick" up) is to put a little sand or dirt both over the offending substance and a little in the base of your scoop (if you only have a bag and no scooper this becomes a non-issue!), and pull the stuff into the scoop.  Works every time and doesn't leave the scoop nasty looking!

sheltie said:
As a professional pooper scooper with over 40 years experience, I've found that the best way to scoop up diarrhea (note that I didn't say "pick" up) is to put a little sand or dirt both over the offending substance and a little in the base of your scoop (if you only have a bag and no scooper this becomes a non-issue!), and pull the stuff into the scoop.  Works every time and doesn't leave the scoop nasty looking!

Thanks, just can't wait to try it! ;D

-Don- Reno, NV

Some one mentioned seeing a woman walking her dog in the local Dog Park wearing a sweat shirt with her name emblazoned across the front.

Across the back, it read:  My Indian name is.... WALKS WITH POOP

Wendy, your rule #4 is right on.  We've been in parks where the people have left their dog(s) inside and outside barking like mad.  We stayed at the KOA in Salt Lake City in March.  While I was walking our cat (on a leash)  three little yippers from a long term site came racing over.  They were not on a leash.  Plus, there were two of three other long term residents that had dogs outside in a wire fenced area.  They were barking all the time.  I'd like to see a list of campgrounds that DON?T take pets.  People think their little dogs barking are cute but it sure irritates me and others I am sure.  I DO NOT recommend this park if you don?t like barking dogs.

wackymac said:
.... I was walking our cat (on a leash)...I'd like to see a list of campgrounds that DON?T take pets.....

Keep in mind that your cat is also a "pet." We know someone who was told they had to park in the pet section in a campgound because they had a bird which is also a pet.

Wendy

We do not travel with any pets, but we do  camphosting and workcamping in various parks.  The biggest thing we have notice or have been told is that some people do not pick up after their animals or they are left alone for long periods of time.

When we do get to our various destinations, I offer pet sitting so they are not left all day while people are out sight seeing. 

FIBRO said:
or they are left alone for long periods of time.

That's one reason we have two doggies. They help keep each other company for when we are not with them. But our doggies get a lot of running around every day.

-Don- SSF, CA​

I camp with my 10 lbs cat Ernest. He's an inside-only cat, so I've never had a campground care about him. I also have a golden retriever and a 35 lb mutt. These two only come when the wife and kids visit me (I work on the road and fulltime in my camper). I always make sure the campground is okay with them coming along. The only two rules I've run into are the leash rule and clean up after doggie rule. However, Wendy's rules are much better and should be posted at all campground that accept dogs.

DonTom said:

-Don- Reno, NV

That is easy, don't let the dog get diarrhea in the first place. If you are feeding your dog anything but solid dog food then stop feeding them all the extra stuff (human food). It is not good for a dog and lots of dogs will get diarrhea from it. If you don't feed them anything but solid food and they still get diarrhea then switch brands until you find one that coexists with your dog.

seilerbird said:
That is easy, don't let the dog get diarrhea in the first place. If you are feeding your dog anything but solid dog food then stop feeding them all the extra stuff (human food). It is not good for a dog and lots of dogs will get diarrhea from it. If you don't feed them anything but solid food and they still get diarrhea then switch brands until you find one that coexists with your dog.

Your response, while basically correct and well-meaning, is however unrealistic.  Dogs, like humans, can suffer from gastrointestinal problems that are unexplainable.  As a breeder, raiser, and show person of many years standing, we have never fed our dogs anything but high quality dry food with no supplements.  They were properly exercised, saw the vet regularly (I feel that I built a wing on his hospital!), received innoculations when required, etc.  STILL, on rare occasion, a dog would get sick.  It happens.  Switching brands frequently will do more harm than good.  Ask your vet (or do a complete research online) for a good quality food and then stay with in unless the vet feels that it has caused a problem.

Take an active dog with you to Alaska and (unless you can watch him every minute) see how fast he can get Giardia infection.

You've never seen diarrhea like that can cause.  I can give you the name of a good vet in Fairbanks. ;D

There are a lot of places a dog can get giardia. Dogs can also get into things they shouldn't even when you're watching them. And some dogs just barf occasionally. As for picking up dog diarrhea, you can use a couple of bags and scoop. Sometimes, if you have a bottle of water with you, you can rinse off the residue. If all else fails, a big rock can usually cover up the ick.

Wendy
Cortez CO

seilerbird said:
That is easy, don't let the dog get diarrhea in the first place.

Yeah, I will tell my doggies to never get a tummy virus. ;D

BTW, a couple of years ago, both my dogs did got very sick from the dog food tainted with melamine (from China). They both got diarrhea and puked a lot. I had no idea what was wrong at first. A little later I heard about the problem with the Chinese  wheat gluten. Anyway, we took both doggies to the vet and had their kidneys tested and they are now okay.

There are many reasons why your post is unrealistic, that's just a couple of them. And BTW, I wish I did feed them "human food" instead of the dog food that contained melamine, which was in countless different USA brands.

-Don- Reno, NV​

Glad to hear your pets pulled throug the taint... many did not.

Our guys were lucky -- food not on recall list -- still it was a worry. 

But as for the dreaded DoggyD....... used to have (long ago to the RainbowBridge) a 50# girl who we had to walk on a 3' lead with head up any Spring trip to the Mtns.  Just loved the 'new' standing/running mel****er.  She was FAST.  Not fun in a truck camper.  It definitley NOT just the product you buy to feed them -- it is anything the can stick their noses/tongues into.

Back
Top Bottom