Coracle - a boat from the 1st century AD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Folks who have been to our house may recall seeing photos and scaled replicas of the coracle, a small boat used for netting salmon on rivers such as the Teifi in Wales. This WiKi on the coracle claims it was "noted by the Roman invaders as early as the 1st Century A.D."

Licenses for netting salmon died with the license holder, so this form of salmon fishing was literally dying out when I was a kid.

From the 1st Century to a 21st Century one person fishing boat.

We watched Hank Parker's fishing show on VerSus last Sat and he had the whole show about the the new Hobiecat Pro Angler. It is amazing! Since my 18' Sawyer Guide Special canoe, this is the first tool that's caught more than a glance.

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_proangler.html

That's a nice boat Bob, and you got me all excited. I figured you'd found the solution to my dilema of taking along a boat with the coach and the Burb. I just called a Hobie dealer, and similar models without the fishing package cost $1,749. Ouch! Guess I'll have to stick with my float tube  :(

Attachments

• Float tube3.jpg
    Float tube3.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 43
It's not cheap --but it really is loaded. Hank had 5 rods with room for a 6th, and lots of gear including a rain suit. It slides over logs and draws about 3". Maybe one less salt water trip and you buy one for each of you? or, alternatively, another trip up to the sierras?

I've a Welsh priest friend, Gareth Lloyd Jones, who was sub-dean of the School of Theology at Bangor. With a brother that was an unmarried BA pilot, Gareth made Sep trips to TX almost every year. We hosted him 4 of the 5 yrs we were in west central [ranch and oil country] Coleman TX. He fell in love with rural TX. His first program for us was on Wales and the pre-Roman Celtic Church. That's where I learned about the Coracle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom