Do all Travel Trailers have brakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1boltzfan

Forgive this newby question, but I'm about to buy a KZ TT Toy Hauler, and nowhere in their literature do they mention trailer brakes.  I would assume a 32' trailer would, but I'm only guessing.  Does anyone know if KZ toy haulers have brakes, and if so what kind?

Thanks,

Scott

I would be very surprised if a travel trailer didn't have electric brakes.  Best to confirm.  You will need a brake controller too in the tow vehicle.

State laws in every state require a trailer to have brakes if it weighs over a certain amount. That amount is in the range of 1000-2000 lbs, so a 32 trailer will certainly come factory-equipped with brakes.

Poke your head behind the tires. If you see wires running into each hub then you have ele. brakes and you will need a brake controller installed on the tow vehichle to operate. As stated it is law that trailers exceding i believe its 2500 lbs require brakes. If you see a hydraulic resevoir behind the hitch then you have surge. I doubt that you will find this though most likely ele. brakes are installed.

For those who say "It's the law"  Law varies from state to state

Many (not all) it's 2,000 pounds

At least one says 1500

At least one says 4,000

But yes, it is the law.. at some point

Here in Supernatural British Columbia, trailers with more than one axle are required to have brakes and on both axles. Yesterday I looked at an old single axle travel trailer with brakes, a heck of a good idea. The beast was 2100kg, about 4400lb, dry.

As John says, it's not the number of axles that dictate brakes. It's the gross weight and the specific weight requirement will vary by state/province. Most any 2 axle trailer will also exceed the weight threshold, though.

Connecticut says 3000 on their registration papers, so all the states have varying thoughts. My truck says the trailer needs brakes of some type if it's over 1000.

egdeaile said:
Connecticut says 3000 on their registration papers, so all the states have varying thoughts. My truck says the trailer needs brakes of some type if it's over 1000.

I think the truck manufacturers recommendation should be the controling factor if they give a weight lower than the state regs.

And when you're doing your annual wheel bearing repack (if you don't have sealed hubs) it's a good time to take the drums off, clean everything, check for wear on shoes and drum, and then reassemble and check for proper operation.

1boltzfan

When you buy a brake controller for your vehicle, make sure you get a good one.  Hayes are well known.  Avoid the Tekonsha Voyageur like the plague (though some other Tekonsha units are fine).  Do your homework well before buying one.  You have no idea how important a good brake controller can be.

Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom