Going to look at 95 Adventurer Any tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeep07

I'm gonna go look at a 1995 Adventurer that seems reasonably priced (within 1k of wholesale but still negotiable).  I've read up that these can have soft floors which is a downside but doesn't affect the function of the motorhome.  Anything specific I should look for?  It has a new generator. The coach has 49k on it. Tires have around 10k on them.  It's the 24WQ model with the L shaped couch.  Has 454 Chevy motor in it.  Backup camera has been added. Satellite Dish. 19" TV's.  2 Ducted AC's.

In my price range I've ruled out any coach with a slide as it seems to put me into a less quality unit that will be harder to maintain.  The main reason I'm interested in this coach is because its a winne and from my reading they have the quality part in the bag.

One thing I'm concerned about is the fridge.  How long do these things usually last?  Anything I should look for on it?

Thanks for any advice. 

Jeep07 said:
I'm gonna go look at a 1995 Adventurer that seems reasonably priced (within 1k of wholesale but still negotiable).  I've read up that these can have soft floors which is a downside but doesn't affect the function of the motorhome.  Anything specific I should look for? 

In my price range I've ruled out any coach with a slide as it seems to put me into a less quality unit that will be harder to maintain.  The main reason I'm interested in this coach is because its a Winnie and from my reading they have the quality part in the bag.

One thing I'm concerned about is the fridge.  How long do these things usually last?  Anything I should look for on it?

Several years back I bought my current rig, a '96 34' Adventurer with a 15' slide.  Prior to that I had a 29 ft. Class C. One of several reasons I was anxious to go with a larger coach was I needed more room to live and work in.  A 24 footer without a slide is "not" a very big coach. Are you by yourself and will you have need for much storage? Why do feel a slide would get you into a less quality unit? I would suggest at least checking out some '96 Adventurers with slides. I traveled from NCal to Austin Texas for mine and found one that was well under the book price.

'95 was the first year for a slide in the Adventurer - and that's why I opted to find a '96. The only problem might be the solenoids for the slide and levelers. So for that coach or any you are looking at, I would, for sure, have both a Chevy truck garage and an RV dealer check it out from bumper to bumper prior to purchase. With only 49k miles, it should be in good shape -- but OTOH, someone may have been living in it full time year after year using all the appliances while it was just sitting somewhere.

Not sure how long a frig should last -- probably 10 years or more if cared for properly. Be sure to place a ref. temperature thermometer in the freezer as a test prior to the sale. Is should read around zero degrees. Also check for a lime green kinda residue around the coils in the rear. That would indicate a leak and indicate it is going downhill. I looked into appliance insurance when I bought my used coach but the prices were outrageous.

Yes, the floors in that vintage may be soft. Winnebago floor design in those days was really dumb. The sections of flooring met half way "between" the floor cross beams vs. on each beam. So it didn't take much traffic to make them give at each joint. And if they aren't soft, they will be over time. The only fix is to replace the top sheeting and insulation under that sheeting with plywood that extends and joins over the cross beams as they should.  Not sure what year they fixed the floors - but in my '94 Winny Brave - they were really bad and had to be replaced. Have not noticed any soft floors in my '96 Adventurer. Don't know about '95.

Finally, FWIW, I really love my Adventurer Motor Home.  :)

There are no moving parts in an RV fridge and so they don't wear out.  Some fail do to corrosion in the refrigerant tubes, but that is unpredictable. Some last 5 years and others last 25.  And basically they either work or do not - no in between.

Thanks for the reply's. I miss typed the model.  Its a 34WQ so a 34' not a 24'. 

I plan on going up today around lunch to take a look at this thing.

It's priced at $10,500 right now but seems negotiable.  We shall see if it's worth negotiating on or not. :)

OK I went to look at it.  The roof had a limb fall on it on the rear pass side near the bedroom.  It was repaired by someone with some Tape looking stuff.  It doesn't leak and looks as if its never had any water come in it at all (been that way since ~2000 he said)    The interior was dirty but wasn't that bad at all. Motor fired right up with no problems at all and ran just fine.  The Fridge is good.  He said the front AC unit on the coach and the engine AC were weak. Recharge or convert the motor home to R134a maybe? 

The generator was replaced 4 years ago with a smaller 2.8kv unit so it can't run both AC's at the same time.. It has a 5k unit.  The microwave is done and needs to be replaced.  Tires are good.  He had the AutoPark replaced in 2004 as it went bad on him and he put it in park with no function at all and had to chock the wheels.  He had an RV place replace/fix it. Said it cost him $900.  I did talk him down to $8500 on the price which is pretty darn good I think.  My only real concern the AC units.  The body is in good shape with just a small spot on the front bumper and 1 spot on the rear in an alum thing on the corner that sticks out. 

The more I think about the condition and how it was repaired over the years gives me the willies  :eek:  Obviously everything was done on the cheap, or not done at all.  Maybe it doesn't bother you, but it sure as heck does me.

If you like to have things in order and repaired properly, you are looking at maybe several thousands of dollars to put it back in pristine condition.  If you want something to live in a few times a year at your hunting lease, by all means, go for it.

My buddy has an older (circa mid-later 90s)  Workhorse P30 chassis and he (like most likely everybody else) has had problems with autopark.  (So much so that he carries spare parts for the autopark with him.)

I'm still up in the air about it. I'm going to go back tomorrow and take another look and fire up the generator and pull the dog house off and take a look around.  $ wise this unit is about 1/2 the price of what I see else were as most people want 19-20k for this same model.. And from the pics of the other units they don't stand out as pristine.  Thanks for the tips and more are certainly welcome.  I need all the help I can get :)

NADA says $14,900 is top dollar for a 95 34WQ and $12k more likely. In the condition you are seeing, $10k is surely no bargain.

Like John, I would be very concerned that this rig has had a lot of  repairs done based on the cheapest way to get the job done. That does not bode well for future use, nor does it make me confident that routine maintenance was kept up either. 

Did you check the age of the tires? 10k miles means nothing if they are several years old.

I actually passed on the rig after some thought and prayers.  I'm going lot shopping tomorrow in Knoxville to see whats available. Most of my hunting has been online until now.

Thanks for the advice.. the search goes on. :)

thx
Wes

Welp after my search on saturday I've came to the conclusion that 15k won't buy anything I like or trust.  So Now I'm contemplating a budget change as everything i like is ~25k wholesale.  Now to convenience the wife...

"Penny wise, pound foolish" .. sometimes it doesn't make sense to go for something at a certain price level.  Getting out (water or camping) is healthy, invigorating, and satisfying, a most wonderful use for disposable income.

Back
Top Bottom