I want to live in a 5th wheel !! Please help a young lad to to RVing out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZRVCOPPER

Hello everyone!

Heres my story, 25 years old, just moved to Arizona, Scottsdale area, and I don't want to buy a house or pay 10 grand a year in rent and utilities to rent a condo or apartment.

I have a good job and want to buy a pre owned 5th wheel. I dont have a a truck (yet) but the RV would be stationary 99% of the time. I just started to look at trailers and am a bit overwhelmed. My criteria are first off, at least 25ft, nice big bed and would like double slide out. I dont want to spend more than 15k. Anyone have experience with phoenix area dealers, or know of anyone that has one for sale?

I suppose i would like a few suggestion on what to stay away from and any advice that you would think is helpful to start the conversation. Many of my friends think i'm crazy, but i just moved here, dont know very many people and thought this would be a good idea since i dont want to waste my money on rent. I dont have a lot of possessions, but something with lots of storage would be great. I think i could definitely live in a trailer..

Also, having a place to keep the trailer is something else i need to start considering. Anyone know of places in, or around Scottdale AZ. Oh ya, what am i looking at to pay if i decide to keep my trailer at an actual park that would include rent and utilities...

that should be a good starting point.

thanks all, Paul

No experience with the Scottsdale area, but with a 15K budget, 2 slides, and live in permanently, it definitely sounds like you're going to be going pre-owned.  They can be had, especially in the current market situation, and you can probably even get into a pretty nice one.  Since you don't have a truck yet to haul it, keep on the current track and get the trailer first, that way you'll be able to match the proper truck to it later.

Good luck.

Paul,

You might think about investigating places first.  Take a look at RV Parks close to where you work, or where you want to play.

Visit, walk around, feel the vibes.

You might stumble on someplace you like and a "for sale on site" RV.

Joel

My only concern would be the summer heat! Summers in the Phoenix area are brutal. May is the start of the triple digits on the thermometer and it does not come down till late in September.The airconditioning is going to work "overtime", due to the limited insulation on any RV.

Mariekie

will that be bad on the AC unit if it is ran continuously for that that long? would a decent unit be able to handle that kind of load

Are you sure it is a 5th wheel you need/want.  If it is to remain parked 99% of the time, why a 5th wheel.  Park models provide more room, better insulation, and may better serve your needs.  5K for a decent pre-owned park model is not uncommon, especially now that the snow birds are heading home.  Frequently, the elderly snowbirds will decide not to return next year and want to get rid of their park model.  Lot rent can run from $300 to $600, or maybe even more.  Year round rates are discounted heavily.  Unless you find someone with a few acres who wants to rent out a little space (doubtful) you will end up in an RV/trailer park anyhow.

geodrake, good points.

when i say 99% stationary, i mean for a while at least. I eventually want to buy a truck and be able to move around and travel with my unit. I absolutely love the idea of being mobile if i need to be. Plus just in case i change jobs or do something different i can just pack up and go. But your right, i might end up being in a RV park for a while until i can find a better place to park.

The heat will be a big problem.  It can be brutal in Phoenix/Scottsdale.  If you have not spent a summer there, it will be an eye opener for you.  We have friends who live there and have had them tell us, more than a few times, that it was close to 120 degrees during a heat wave.  A 5th wheel is just not insulated as well as a house and you may have difficulty keeping the temps below 80-85 inside even with the Air conditioners working; and you might not even be able to get it that cool.  Many 5th wheels come with only 1 A/C which will most likely be inadequate for the AZ heat.  You'll for sure need 2 A/C.  Getting A/Cs that are 15,000 BTU will provide better cooling than ones that are 13,000 BTUs.

I think the idea of a park model is a good one.  It's better insulated, gives you more room.  But besides purchasing it, you'll have to pay "space" rent which can vary from campground to campground. 

Marsha~

I live in a 2002 30' Forest River TT full time. The built in AC does me fine in TN, AZ is a bit warmer. I dont like all the noise from my onboard ac unit, its right above the couch and drives me nuts when I watch tv. I put a small window unit in the bedroom and it gets very cold throughout. I like having $99. invested in the window ac, if it wears out just get another.

I pay the private campground I live in a little extra every month for using alot of juice. Each site is metered. For me its worth it. I get a free berth for my boat, and free storage for 2 trucks, the camper and the boat when I'm out of the country, (in the Army). Look around long and hard, renting can be cheaper. Im like you though, I would rather own the camper than line some slumlords pockets. And if my camping neighbors are unsavory, I just hitch and drive ;)

summer in Scottsdale definately will be brutal in a fifth wheel. I've spent two and
a half years in mine, and at least twice during each summer the circuit breaker tripped on the a/c and it was way hot inside when I got home from work. There
are not too many rv parks in Scottsdale, you would do better to look at Mesa, lots
of parks there, family oriented, in fact one comes to mind right off 202 at McKellips.
There are a few in Scottsdale but they are senior citizen communities.
Living in a fifth wheel full time is definately doable, but don't forget to budget in
your propane, although our winters are mild you will still go through a fair amount
of propane in the winter. I've got one of the tall skinny tanks set up where the
propane delivery truck comes though the park and fills it up, cost me $87 each
time and I did that I think about 3 times during the winter. Hope I've helped and
good luck. btw, I don't have a truck to go anywhere just yet either.

Welcome to the forum.  You're not crazy for thinking along these lines, you just have to figure out what you want!  You may want to look for a unit with the four season package - including thermopane windows - to help with the heat.  You may also want to invest in a window unit as well as a roll or two of reflectix insulation for your windows and vents.  I have a permanent site in a seasonal campground and do suggest you find a place first and then think about your camper.  There are several package deals going in my campground now and there are some campgrounds that have rules about what kind of unit you can install.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom