Hydraulic levelers on Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlene0819

We have a 87 Suncrest Class A motorhome that we purchased a month ago. It has 4 hydraulic levelers but we cannot find a brand. The controller by the driver door works, or at least the lights come on when you power it up, but the levelers do not come down. We searched and searched but cannot find the pump. We see a set of valves and wires but no reservoir. The rv place we go to thought it might be the solenoid but we can't find that either. A friend told us there would be 3 large red wires from the battery, 1 to the starter, 1 to the generator and then one to the pump on the levelers. We traced out the wires and it seems the one that goes to the levelers has nothing hooked to it and taped off. We assume the pump went out and they took it off.

My question is does the pump have to be for the specific brand of leveler or is there a generic one? How do I find the brand of my levelers. The control unit just says Hydraulic Leveler no name.

Many of the hydraulic pumps used by various lift manufacturers are made by Haldex.

It will just depend upon what brand the leveling system is, or the pump. You need to first find the pump. But to just start buying parts and putting them in with no real knowledge of what the problem is could get very expensive. I suggest that you should do some testing before you buy any parts. Basic trouble shooting is not difficult and can save a lot of money.

As I said there is no pump. The wire that would go to the pump has nothing attached to it. How would you suggest I find the brand? The control box just says "Hydraulic Levelers" there is no model number, brand or other information. Yes I could get into a lot of money just adding parts and hoping to fix it. I thought maybe some people here might have an idea of what brands were popular in 1987 for levelers. The company that made the motor home is long gone. I have the manual but it says nothiing about the levelers so I guess it is an aftermarket part.

An experienced RV tech or owner might recognize the brand of levelers by the look of the components, especially the ram leg and "foot" components.  The HWH brand has been around a long time, so that's a possibility.  Or you might send pictures of the leveler leg/ram/foot to RV salvage yards and ask if they have anything similar. There is a list of salvage yards in our Library.  Finally, a visit to a shop that does hydraulic repairs might elicit some ideas for a replacement pump.

Since the pump & reservoir seems to be missing, it sounds as though a previous owner also went on a search for a replacement and was unsuccessful, for whatever reason.

Another brand was Big Foot from Michigan.  They are distinctive because they have rather large bases, about 8 inches by 8 inches square.  Others had smaller bases, about 3 or 4 inch squares.  If the "feet" are large, then they might be Big Foots.

ArdraF

I did find a company on the lever control panel. I should of looked instead of letting the spouse....anyhow it is A&E brand. Yes the footprint on the lever is big I would say it is close to 8x8. I will do a search on A&E, hope that brings us some answers.

You know the hydraulic lines are not hanging down, I don't believe. Guess another trip under the motor home is in order. Gosh I wish I could just take it and have it fixed but I am sure that will not be a cheap trip!

Charlene

Hubby says that there are hydraulic hoses that are taped up and wired up. I did a search on the brand and it seems they were bought out by Dometic. When I go to Power Jacks, they bought the company from Dometic, they give details on the 3 different models. I have the control unit I think from Mark II or Power Jacks, both descriptions fit. The jacks are either Mark V or Power Jack, they are rectangular. Will place a call to HWH, they are still servicing A&E, and Power Jack, they also have parts. Someone should know something................Thanks for the help so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom