Zmax oil treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S J Strait

How dose every one feel about ZMax oil treatment?  My 99 Suburban gives a little rattle on start up sounds like wrist pins . need to make it last a little longer?

S J Strait said:
How dose every one feel about ZMax oil treatment?  My 99 Suburban gives a little rattle on start up sounds like wrist pins . need to make it last a little longer?
I am sure that some will disagree with me on this. That any additive for "modern" lubricants [probably] will do more harm than good, or at least no good at all. With that said; Two things come to mind. 1 - many GM engines have had that problem right out of the box, and the "1999" era was about the beginning of such problems. 2. Though there is certainly some wear in the engine, if the wrist-pins are truly "slapping" you probably won't solve the problem with anything but replacement of mechanical components, and something that worn will continue to "geometrically progress". But considering the fact that your problem is at cold start, and synthetic oils have better "cling" properties when compared to their same-rated conventional lubricants, you may benefit from the switch. If you are already using synthetic oil, then study your owners manual and look to the next higher viscosity.

One other area to consider in the diagnostics is; if your "cold start" sequence-of-operation is amiss for some reason. (component or controller) then you could have a situation of improper timing or fuel delivery etc,  causing the engine to knock. A little "far-fetched"  but not too. Example can be anything from a worn timing belt to weak fuel delivery, to a failing sensor causing radically advanced [ignition] timing.

I agree with regularguy. There was a thread on another rv forum recently about a guy who was having all kinds of problems with water in his fuel. After a lot of questions and answers we found out he was using additives in the fuel. When we finally convinced him the additives were the cause of the problem he stopped using them and the water in the fuel problem went away.

Yep I have to agree adding additives to oils is just a waste of money and in some cases could cause more spending to correct what the additives have caused.

There's only one additive I would use, a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil.  I'll use it in my gas tank too.  Never in large quantities.

Steve

I still recommend against adding any additive to the oil. It just isn't needed and can very well do more harm than good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom