2005 sightseer winnebago workhorse p-30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brens

OK I need all of your help once again.  I have been looking at the sightseer with the ford. I have stayed away from the workhorse p 30 because of the problems that I have heard of. Well there is a 2005 29r sightseer Winnebago that I'm looking at.It is the 8.1 L vortec 8100 engine with the workhorse chassis P30 My question to all of you is should I stay away from this?  I have heard of problems with the brakes . Just hear that I should stick with the ford. Would really love as much information about this. Thanks once again Brenda 

Brenda, actually it is a P32 Workhorse Chassis.  I owned a 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 30B on a 2005 P32 chassis.  Just keep in mind that the P-32 is discontinued by Workhorse.  The main gripe I had with the chassis was that you had to stand on the brake pedal to stop it, which wasn't necessarily bad, just odd in my opinion.  Also, the front end sat lower than the rear due to the Independent front suspension with the air bags inside the coil springs.  Also, it had the 4-speed Chevrolet transmission, and not that it was bad, I wanted the Allison 6-speed you can get by upgrading to the Workhorse W-22 Chassis.

I never had any problems with the chassis.....my daughter would want to bring her boyfriend with us on our RV trips, and the 30B just became too small for us!  ;D

brens said:
OK I need all of your help once again.  I have been looking at the sightseer with the ford. I have stayed away from the workhorse p 30 because of the problems that I have heard of. Well there is a 2005 29r sightseer Winnebago that I'm looking at.It is the 8.1 L vortec 8100 engine with the workhorse chassis P30 My question to all of you is should I stay away from this?  I have heard of problems with the brakes . Just hear that I should stick with the ford. Would really love as much information about this. Thanks once again Brenda 

I know two people with P-chassis, but are a lot older (1995 Fleetwood Flairs, 25' model) so I assume they are not the same chassis at all. (Neither of the MH's have the 8.1L motor.)

One has approximately 100k miles on it, the other approximately 80k miles on it. Both have had good luck with them, no major engine or transmission problems to date. Both did have to have the front and rear suspensions totally redone, if I remember correctly, the leaf spring suspension collapsed and everything had to be replaced. The chassis had almost no ground clearance and no visable gap between the tires and fenderwell. After the repairs, you cannow see daylight from one side to the other, so it raised the chassis back up where it belonged. Very expensive and all the work was done by Camping World, who claimed that it was fairly common on these chassis. Again, the model year was 1995...

The 05 Workhorse P30 is a pretty good chassis and far superior to the old Chevy P30 or even the models a few years older. You won't have the brake problems you may have read about - they apply to the W20/W22 chassis. It is, however, prone to having problems with the Auto-Park system, which is what holds the coach in place when the transmission is in P (Park).  It works by applying a special brake shoe against a drum on the drive shaft and some owners have had  a problem getting the Auto-Park to release when they shift out of Park.  I'd probably rather have the Ford chassis in 05, but don't know if I would let that stop me from buying the rig if otherwise it was just what I wanted. Every coach you look at will probably have some thing that is less than optimal about it.

Back
Top Bottom