Slide Lock Drain Hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Snipe

Had a severe rainstorm with high winds for a couple of days and noticed some water on my table.  Upon closer inspection, found the overhead cabinet was soaked right under the slide lock unit.  I remembered hearing about slide locks having drains.  Got out my ladder and looked at a little dime sized button like hole mid slide just below the slide awning.  I took a piece of wire and stuck it in and out came a bunch of water. 

I checked the other side, too, but it was open and dry.  I think a lot of dust and debris that collected under the slide awning was washed into the drain by the water and wind which clogged the drain hole.

I'm putting a check of the drain holes as a regular maintenance item.

Best Regards!

Paul D
2007 Winnebago Journey 39K

Paul, welcome to our circle of friends!  Pull up a chair!

I do have to find out what slide lock you are talking about...are you talking about a drain hole in the rain gutter?  I dont think I have slide locks on my unit????    ???

Hi Paul - nice to see you over here!

Mark - Paul has one of the new hoity-toity rigs with electric locks for the slides (like a 2x4 and nails aren't good enough!)

Seriously.. Paul - can you post a picture of the drain holes?

As I understand it, the electric slide locks were added in the 2007 model year to models with large slides.  I have a triple slide unit and the two living room opposed slides have them, the bedroom slide (smaller) does not.

I am not tech savvy enough to post a picture, but for a description, the drains are located in the middle of the slide just below the awning, about the size of a dime and have a tiny "nose" that sticks out just a bit with the drain hole.

On top of the slide, under the awning is a depression where the slide hook is located.  When the slide is in and the lock is engaged, the hook latches onto a part in the ceiling to keep the slide secure.  Unlocked, the hook sits down in the depression so it clears the slide seal.  Because of the depression, there is a drain to the outside of the slide to let any water that gets in to drain out.

My little drain hole got plugged by some dirt/dust that must have built up over time and with the heavy rain and wind, water that blew in couldn't drain and eventually leaked inside to the overhead cabinet.  In the cabinet, up on the ceiling, there is a plastic, shoe boxed size cover that hides the lock mechanism.  I removed that and there was still a little water in there, too.

So I let it all dry out and now it's all back together.  I do like these locks, you hear a positive engagement click when they hook together.  A much better system than the straps my previous WB Adventurer used.

As for the 10 penny nail locks, I'll let John Canfield engineer that system! ;D

Best Regards!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom