What transmission do I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

As you can see in my sig. info.. I have a 1995 Adventurer, built in late 1994.

I have searched all my manuals and cannot find anything on the auto-transmission. It has the standard PRNDL  shift lever arrangement.

How do I find out? I'll bet someone knows.

carson FL

I guess I didn't get much of an answer.  Here is the real story...

The transmission lever indicator show P R N D D 2 1.  The bold D is the fourth gear, but it has an auto-overdrive in it as well (a small one). Essentially it is a 5 gear transmission. I suppose it is the generic  GM transmission for my RV.
   Can't find out if it has another exotic name.   :eek:

carson FL

Richard, I know that that would have been my last resort. I think they must have built hundreds of these things, maybe thousands. I just thought that someone on this forum may have a quick answer.

We are not talking about an antique vehicle here, just Oldies but Goodies.

Thanks for your input;

carson FL

Carson,
Maybe this site will help (and give you something to do as well!)

http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-transmission-identification.php

http://www.chevcarclubvic.org.au/technical/gm_transmission_identification.htm

And THIS page says that the 4L80E was used in Chevrolet motorhomes from 1991 on. The 4L80E is consistent with what you described - a 4 speed overdrive tranny.

carson said:
   As you can see in my sig. info.. I have a 1995 Adventurer, built in late 1994.

I have searched all my manuals and cannot find anything on the auto-transmission. It has the standard PRNDL  shift lever arrangement.

How do I find out? I'll bet someone knows.

carson FL

See if you can see the tranny from under the rig. That's how I discovered mine is a "GM Hydra-Matic 4L80-E". It has a large metal tag right on the bottom right side of the tranny. See if there's such a tag on yours.

BTW, my 4L80-E goes PRND321, so that's not yours.

-Don- SSF, CA​

The configuration of the PRNDL display/lever is not part of the transmission and to some extent independent of it. PRND321 and PRNDD21 could both be used on any 4 speed transmission.  I suspect  Carson's two "D" positions represent one "Drive" in which overdrive is enabled while the other D locks it out. That is the same as having a "D" and  "3".

RV Roamer said:
" PRND321 and PRNDD21 could both be used on any 4 speed transmission.  I suspect  Carson's two "D" positions represent one "Drive" in which overdrive is enabled while the other D locks it out. That is the same as having a "D" and  "3".

Of course it's only  a difference in labeling, but I thought I read somewhere that the 4L65E tranny was labeled  PRNDD21 and the 4L80E was labeled PRND321.

-Don- SSF, CA​

I thought I read somewhere that the 4L65E tranny was labeled  PRNDD21 and the 4L80E was labeled PRND321.

That may be true for some particular line of chassis, but the PRNDL display/lever is selected by the chassis builder separate from the transmission itself, so you cannot make that correlation unless you are talking about identical chassis models.

I finally found something to do.  ;D  I crawled underneath in search of finding info on the elusive transmission.

By the way, thanks Gary and others for taking up the cause. 

I found writing and numbers on the casting such as " Hydromatic Transmission" and "242022226-4".

The there was another small blue label riveted on showing "Turbo Hydromatic Transmission",  " DP P" and " 95 4307".  Also "General Motors Corp.".

I will vote for the 4L80 version, at least pretend it is. I do not have a problem with it, so the point is moot.

Sure learned a bunch from this conversation....  Thank you.

carson FL

carson said:
I finally found something to do.  ;D  I crawled underneath in search of finding info on the elusive transmission.

By the way, thanks Gary and others for taking up the cause. 

I found writing and numbers on the casting such as " Hydromatic Transmission" and "242022226-4".

The there was another small blue label riveted on showing "Turbo Hydromatic Transmission",  " DP P" and " 95 4307".  Also "General Motors Corp.".

I will vote for the 4L80 version, at least pretend it is. I do not have a problem with it, so the point is moot.

Sure learned a bunch from this conversation....  Thank you.

carson FL

Mine clearly has the numbers, "4L80-E" which can be read from under the right side of the rig withOUT getting under it.

-Don- SSF, CA

Thanks, Don... don't know what to do now. Where was your label attached? A picture, please.

Maybe we can put this thing to rest.  Crawling underneath is not pleasurable, even though I am  slim guy.  :)

I hesitate to call WBGO  for a minor  item like this. They have better things to do.. like keeping the company alive. I don't believe in using up unnecessary resources, only if it is important.

carson FL

WBGO may not be able to tel you anyway.  Call the Chassis manufacturer and have the Chassis Vin nbr available.  It is also possible a dealer for the same chassis may be able to look it up on their computer for you.

Thanks , Ron

I really don't need to know, since I don't have a problem. At least I know I don't have a fancy Allison. That's ok with me.

Thanks , Ron

I really don't need to know, since I don't have a problem. At least I know I don't have a fancy Allison. That's ok with me.

carson

carson said:
Thanks , Ron

carson

So now you don't want to know?   Or did you originally want to know?    ::)

Back
Top Bottom