100A Shore Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

The military RV park we are in just opened 40 new sites. On their layout map, 4 sites are marked "100 amp service."  The layout has utilities "shared" between sites. The other 40 sites each have a power pedestal with 50a, 30a, and 20a outlets on both sides for use by the two sites. Between the last two rows of sites there are two pedestals rather than one. One pedestal has the normal 50a, 30a, 20a outlets. The other pedestal, for the designated 100a site, has two 50a outlets. 

I know there are coaches that do use 220v power, but I just assumed they got that 220v power (are they 50a or 100a??) from the same 120v/240v 50a outlet that we get our 120v 50a power from.  I also know that my 120v 50a power is actually providing me two 120v 50a power legs for a total available 100a.

I did a quick google, and did find a couple of civilian parks that advertise "20a/30a/50a/100a service available". Can someone enlighten me on what is meant by "100a service available" ??  Are there indeed RVs that require TWO 120v/240v 50a outlets??  [/i

There are "all electric" coaches, so it's conceivable they'd need that kind of hookup.

Can you imagine what it would be like, trying to haul that power cable out of the basement and dragging it over to the pedestal, to plug it in?  :eek: :D :D

Ray,

We have something similar on our (all electric) boat, and I use the Glendinning power cord system with a wireless remote to extend and  retract it. That cord is way too heavy for me to manhandle.

Ray,

That's why you have a "toad". ;)

You simply unhook the toad, attach the power cord to the rear bumper and drag it over to the pedestal. 
That's probably not correct either because it would become a "toader" at that point. :D

Tom said:
Ray,

We have something similar on our (all electric) boat, and I use the Glendinning power cord system with a wireless remote to extend and  retract it. That cord is way too heavy for me to manhandle.
That's gotta be a heckofa' cable. Stay really close to shore do ya?    ;D

I've seen coaches with residential style electric stove/oven combos and even a Jenn Aire electric grill. Couple that sort of load with 3-4 roof a'cs and a stacked washer/dryer and you might want more than one 50A hook-up. However, I checked on Newell, the premier builder of custom coaches, and they still use only one 50A shore power cord (12kW max), even though they supply a 20kW generator with each coach. They even have dual  inverters.

I also checked Parliament Coach (Prevost conversions) and theirs is similar - one 50A power cord and a 20 kW generator.

oops, topic was a 100 amp Shower!  Wondered what sort of towel you would use.  It was Shore!  OK, I am OK now.  (G)  (Not that I EVER typo...)

Good catch Bill. Just goes to prove what we've said for many years, i.e. that folks participate in discussions without necessarily looking at the subject line. I went ahead and changed it anyway  ;D

Back
Top Bottom