What type of glue to use on walls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkklett

I did a search for the last 45 minutes. Was not able to find what I need. I apologize if it was out there. I am replacing the wall in my MH that were water damaged due to a person leaving the MH out for a year with out checking on it. What type of glue should I use?  The old walls were glued in and it was done very well. (trust me I sometimes wondered if I was going to ever get parts of it off.) I could use a normal construction adhesive, however It sometimes melts the foam. I hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Brian

What make/model/year of RV is this? Are you talking about the outer wall or the inner wall? Companies like Fleetwood used to pressure bond the roof and ceiling together, which required specialized equipment. I don't know how they "glued" the sidewalls, inner or outer.

The original walls were undoubtedly vacuum-bonded using industrial adhesives. I've watched the sidewall construction process in several different RV factories and they differ only in the details.

Are you laying up a complete new wall or just the inside or outside layer?  Or perhaps patching an area?   

I would think contact cement would be a good adhesive for this application, but it has the disadvantage of not being able to move the layers once contact is made. But if you  can line up the layers properly before making contact, the strong, thin bond you get with contact cements would be ideal for this application.

I am replacing the inner layer pieces of the wall. I have used some 1/8 inch plywood with a veneer on a TT that I had to re due for the inner walls before, but I just used small nails and did not glue it. I have a Overland Motorhome. It was made in 1985. It was a very strong glue. I just wondered if anyone have used any glue to fix inner walls before.

Most of our motorhomes have had pressure bonded interior wall coverings that look similar to wallpaper but are not.  When they put the walls in place, they're already covered with this bonded material.  They generally do the entire wall so even the inside of the cabinets has the same pattern.  If that's what you had, I'm surprised you were able to get it off.  Must have been one heck of a big job!!

ArdraF

We have used Liquid Nails and other construction adhesives with great success on any project you can think of. The adhesives these days have great bonding properties. If you can add a little pressure to the area affected, that will make the bonding even better. I have a hand held linoleum roller that makes surface to surface contact a breeze.

I had a similar problem in my TT, in that the wall panels had seperated fm the wall. Since I have always had good success with Liquid Nails "Heavy Duty," I used that and also used a penumatic stapler with 1'' staples to secure the panel to the studs, sorta double protection. I ran the staples as close to vertically straight as I could, used the matching "seam tape" to cover the line of staples and it looks good.

BTW, I always use the heavy duty Liquid Nails as it is waterproof, whereas the regular Liquid Nails is only ''water resistant." It's worth that extra dollar per tube, to me anyway.

Thanks that helps! I have spent many hours tearing out the old wood walls. What do they cover the walls with in newer MH. Is it like Ardra F stated a type of wallpaper like material? In the past, to have the new walls match the old I had to stain it and then lightly sand all the walls and apply tounge oil to all. It blends fairly well. If you know what you are looking for you can tell a difference. But I replace the entire bedroom so it does not have to match the rest.

Reference the wallcovering, what I have seen mostly is that the wall panel is a luan with a wallpaper bonded to its surface. Yeah, very hard to match up if replacing. While I woukln't want to do it, you can paint over the wallpapered board/panel using a special primer first.

As herd says, most RVs have interior wall panels that have a factory-bonded veneer that looks like wood grain, wallpaper or whatever effect they were aiming for.  The material, which is usually a vinyl of some sort, is vacuum bonded to the backing (typically thin luan plywood) using industrial adhesives.

What is it you are gluing back up? Plywood? Wall paper? Some kind of finished wall board?

Water based construction cement will not ?melt? the Styrofoam insulation, Solvent based construction cement will melt it. Neither will melt fiberglass insulation.

I used spray contact adhesive out of my spray gun  but, you can't apply too much or it will eat into the styrofoam quickly. There is instant bond construction glue that could work, might be worth a try

Marine epoxy works best for the foam (score/scratch the foam lightly for best results and make sure there isn't a foil or plastic outer layer, then apply pressure enough to keep its form flat) .  Liquid Nails is great for the gaps. 

bkklett said:
I did a search for the last 45 minutes. Was not able to find what I need. I apologize if it was out there. I am replacing the wall in my MH that were water damaged due to a person leaving the MH out for a year with out checking on it. What type of glue should I use?  The old walls were glued in and it was done very well. (trust me I sometimes wondered if I was going to ever get parts of it off.) I could use a normal construction adhesive, however It sometimes melts the foam. I hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Brian
Brian
PL 300 Foamboard Adhesive is a premium grade formulation for bonding foamboard insulation to a variety of surfaces, interior or exterior. It is compatible with all other foamboard insulation products.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk0137_U2gSeZBcWY9CmmD274Vi5oCg%3A1592070490561&source=hp&ei=WhHlXvnnH5uDtQbmsLeQBQ&q=foamboard+adhesive+pl+300&oq=foamboard+adhesive&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgCMgIIADICCAAyBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeMgYIABAWEB4yBggAEBYQHjIGCAAQFhAeOgQIIxAnOgUIABCDAToFCAAQsQM6BwgAELEDEAo6BAgAEApQmQZY9G5g2bgBaABwAHgAgAHaAYgBjQ-SAQYxMi41LjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom