HELP !! !! ?? ?? OBDII connector under dash?? ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

O.K. just got my ScanGaugeII in mail. Good so far. Called local Workhorse mech to ask location of plug-in. Gave me inst how to find plug. Felt around - turned upside down - crawled under dash- got stuck -swore a lot - saw lots of likely looking plugs BUT all had mates joining them. Any hints OR gotta call my mobile repair guy $$$$.  2007 Itasca Sunova 26P W-series 8.1L Vortec V8 340hp - 4L85-E 4-spd overdrive trans.  THANKS,  Kate

Kate - OBDII will be about the size of a half-dollar (the coin, not a dollar bill cut in half  8)) and will probably have a black cap covering the connector pins.  Mine was easy to find, but we have completely different chassis'.

maddog348 said:
O.K. just got my ScanGaugeII in mail. Good so far. Called local Workhorse mech to ask location of plug-in. Gave me inst how to find plug. Felt around - turned upside down - crawled under dash- got stuck -swore a lot - saw lots of likely looking plugs BUT all had mates joining them. Any hints OR gotta call my mobile repair guy $$$$.  2007 Itasca Sunova 26P W-series 8.1L Vortec V8 340hp - 4L85-E 4-spd overdrive trans.   THANKS,  Kate

AFAIK, by law, it has to be fairly close to the steering column.

-Don-

Thanks Guys, Thought I saw it -- will go out again tomorrow in daylight and look again.  MH 'lives' in side-yard.  K

See here.

"The 16-pin DLC is usually located under the instrument panel (dash), within 12 inches (300 mm) of center of the
panel, on the driver?s side of most vehicles. It should be easily accessible and visible from a kneeling position outside the
vehicle with the door open."

-Don- SSF, CA​

Don I take it that it is a 'mounted' connection rather than a 'hanging' one.  My MH only has one door and it is center coach passenger side. I really can't see much from there. Thanks for link. Kate

maddog348 said:
Don I take it that it is a 'mounted' connection rather than a 'hanging' one.  My MH only has one door and it is center coach passenger side. I really can't see much from there. Thanks for link. Kate

That's where I have seen them, always mounted. However, I never looked for one in a Class A and the rules could be different. The idea is that it should be easy for the service tech to find and get to. Perhaps the law I was referring to only refers to cars. But if you have a car that's newer than 1996, look for it in the car first so at least you will know exactly what you're looking for.

And if you find it's located someplace strange in your RV, please mention it here so we will all know.

-Don-​

"Might be a good idea -- at least all my cars/trucks have driver side doors."

Yeah, one five  second look near the steering column should find it, usually to the left.

One of the things I don't like about Class A's is the fact that they only have one door. That could make the rules different. But you should not have to look too hard to find it, as it is supposed to be easy to find and access ever since OBD2.

BTW, did you get a MIL? IOW, did your check engine light come on?

-Don-​

This isn't the best photo, but this connector is identical to the one under the dash in our Class A DP. This one happens to be in a forward side compartment, is mounted vertically, and has the cap removed and a plug inserted. The one under the dash is mounted horizontally facing the driver on the left of the steering column.

Tom - that doesn't look like any OBDII connector I've seen.  When Kate posted a thread about ScanGaugeII, I wondered if class A rigs have OBDII ports. 

When I got my ScanGauge, I had trouble finding the OBDII port's location in our class C.  Turns out it was tucked under a compartment door (here).  I did that page for another forum.

The OBDII port shared the compartment with a fuse block.  I didn't want to leave that block uncovered, so I cut a hole in the compartment door with a Dremel tool.  Not great craftsmanship, but it works......

The round connectors on diesels isn't an OBD port but a diagnostic connector to the engine ECU.  It can't be used with an OBD display like the ScanGauge but does work with units like the Silverleaf.

OBD II is required only on passenger cars and light duty trucks, so medium & heavy duty diesels such as Tom's are exempt. They mostly use a different standard data bus, SAE J1939, IIRC.

Gas chassis motorhomes usually use the OBD II standard because their engines and trannies are slight variants of the light duty truck engines and trannies.

Apologies, didn't mean to confuse the situation by not realizing that OBDII and diagnostic connectors weren't the same thing  :-[  Ill go stand in the corner.

FOUND IT !! !! Thanks All. If I knew how would take pic and post here for future ref. About 8"-10" back from outer edge of dash 3"-4" toward driver door from column. Thanks Again,  K

Glad you found it.

If I knew how would take pic and post here for future ref.

Click the Resources button above, and scroll down to Forum navigation tips. Be sure to let us know if you need help.

maddog348 said:
FOUND IT !! !! Thanks All. If I knew how would take pic and post here for future ref. About 8"-10" back from outer edge of dash 3"-4" toward driver door from column. Thanks Again,  K

Hey - good for you Kate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom