Dangerous tire valves - Heads up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buddy Tott

I researched the archives but didn't find anything specifically related to this, so if this issue has been posted before, I apologise.  It is new to me, anyway...

Last year my Toad sufferred a flat tire on its maiden towing voyage.  No big deal, fortunately, and I took it to a tire place (Big Brand) in Goleta, Ca.  They did a good job.  I was in and out in about 30 minutes with all four tires replaced for around $200.  I have had no trouble with the tires nor any inflation woes since then. 

This past week, while out on a short camping trip, with the toad, I discovered a flat tire, which (fortunately)  occurred overnight.  On checking the tire I discovered the valve had almost completey rotted through.  I have never experienced that with numerous other cars and over many decades of driving.  I took the tire and the toad in for repair.  The service tech told me there had been a recall in Sept. or so 2008 of 30 million valve stems, made in China and distributed by Dill Valve Stems' throughout North America.  The suspect stems had been manufactured without UV protection between August and November 2006. 

The problem is that the stems have to be examined on the inside, which means taking the tire(s) into a shop for examination.  The model numbers are on the bowl of the stem which is inside the wheel rim.  I had all four valves replaced for $40 and considered it money well spent.

My tire went flat at a convenient time and without hardship.  I can only imaging what might have occurred while under tow. An even greater consideration is if you have TPMS devices attached to the stem, which might even exacerbate the problem. I just Googled Tire Valve Recall and came up with more information.

BT

Thanks BT. Lots of reports on various forums. I wonder how we missed that one  ???

Tom said:
Thanks BT. Lots of reports on various forums. I wonder how we missed that one  ???

Tom

I'm pretty sure that I had mentioned problems with Chinese tire valves.

It has been discussed.. Ford, always ready to save a buck where tires are concerned and then spend a million or two fixing them, did the single largest recall in the history of the auto industry due to those valve stems if memory serves.

I am slowly,  (Too slowly) switching to all metal valve stems, Got the trailer done, Motor home came that way, car is next.

Oops, must have had CRS. Didn't recall Rolf's original post or Bernie's warning. I should have looked back at earlier posts here, and I would have seen it.

Well, in light of the fact that it took my valve(s) about a year to turn to mush, anyone that had tires replaced around the time mine were, could be adversely and imminently affected.  30 million valves on about 8 million vehicles, I doubt they were all changed out.  Don't forget to check the spare...some folks may have just had the spare repaired with, unknowingly,  one of the suspect valves used.  Of course if the spare hasn't been used, then the valve may not have been exposed to UV light so it may take a little longer to deteriorate.  Nevertheless, it's not something I would want to rely in in an emergency.

BT

Back
Top Bottom