Trik-L Start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a man, Dr. Jordan Kare, who, on occasions writes songs

One such song is "Fire in the Sky" Which was mentioned by Buzz Aldren after the last space shuttle disaster

Another is called. if I"m not mistaken (I will check) " The Designer"

Check it out (Google search "The Designer" "Jordan Kare"

Include the quotes

Kevin,

06' was when Winnie started putting Trik-L-Start in the coaches, but I'm not sure if they put them in all models.  I also have 3 house and 2 starting batteries.  My experience was that the dealer does a lousy job of maintaining the batteries in the coaches.  They beat them pretty hard while showing and moving the coach and really do NO maintenance care.  I had to have both sets replaced in the first year. If your batteries are hammered from not being maintained, and my coach batteries are maintenance free, them no charging system will bring them back to life.  As a matter of fact, my chassis battery EXPLODED  on my first long trip after I had the coach about 3 months.  It is a maintenance free battery and can not be checked.  It most likely was boiled dry by the dealer, and then one night will sleeping, BOOM!  Most likely the battery was gassing a lot and when the Trick-L-Charger kicked on, the gasses ignited.  The moral of the story is, if your batteries are weak and not accepting a charge, replace them before you get stranded.  Your life will be much easier.....

Sarge

After a similar problem I installed a Trik-L-Start and it has cured my ills, however I'd definitely check water in the batteries first lest I encounter a problem like SargeW mentioned.  In my case the chassis batteries were full of electrolyte (water).

John From Detroit said:
There is a man, Dr. Jordan Kare, who, on occasions writes songs

One such song is "Fire in the Sky" Which was mentioned by Buzz Aldren after the last space shuttle disaster

Another is called. if I"m not mistaken (I will check) " The Designer"

Check it out (Google search "The Designer" "Jordan Kare"

Include the quotes

John,

Are you smoking something with twisted ends on the paper wrap?

SargeW said:
Kevin,

06' was when Winnie started putting Trik-L-Start in the coaches, but I'm not sure if they put them in all models.  I also have 3 house and 2 starting batteries.  My experience was that the dealer does a lousy job of maintaining the batteries in the coaches.  They beat them pretty hard while showing and moving the coach and really do NO maintenance care.  I had to have both sets replaced in the first year. If your batteries are hammered from not being maintained, and my coach batteries are maintenance free, them no charging system will bring them back to life.  As a matter of fact, my chassis battery EXPLODED  on my first long trip after I had the coach about 3 months.  It is a maintenance free battery and can not be checked.  It most likely was boiled dry by the dealer, and then one night will sleeping, BOOM!  Most likely the battery was gassing a lot and when the Trick-L-Charger kicked on, the gasses ignited.  The moral of the story is, if your batteries are weak and not accepting a charge, replace them before you get stranded.  Your life will be much easier.....

Sarge
How would I find the trik-l-start in my coach if it has one ??? You just described my first long trip out, mine was one of the 3house batteries, I got 3new interstate ones(dealer replaced them) I check the water on them all the time. The start are mantenance free too(like yours) I guess the best is to do like you said and replace the 2 start first.

RLSharp said:
Tallyo,

I think that New York State has a law that prohibits the use of the Rule of 78s formula in all credit transactions and the U.S Congress passed a law that prohibits the use of the Rule of 78s formula in credit transactions if the term is longer than 5 years and one month.

Has my memory completely failed me or do I remember this correctly?
I just walked in, is this the French class.. ?
;D

kevin said:
How would I find the trik-l-start in my coach if it has one ???

Check the chassis battery voltage while you are on shore power - it should read above 13 volts if you have the Trik-L-Start.

SCVJeff said:
I just walked in, is this the French class.. ?
;D

Well... things were drifting a little  ::)

Very helpful thread, thanks! 

Now a question.  I store my coach off site, for the most part I've had no issues starting as I go out every 30 days in the winter for about a 30 mile run to keep things charged up and working. However this winter as Spring neared I had some battery issues.  I don't have hook up's off site, so while it was at home I used a trickle charger as we were loading.

My question is since I store it off site and bring it home 2-3 days before a trip, would a Trik-L Start really do me any good?

I'd think that 48-72 hours on a trickle charge would be sufficient.  I guess it really depends on how drawn down the battery gets in storage and if it is in good condition.

Y-Guy said:
My question is since I store it off site and bring it home 2-3 days before a trip, would a Trik-L Start really do me any good?

Steve - that's something you would just need to try out - if the drive to your house from storage was a long one, the chassis batteries might become reasonably well charged and the trickle charger could finish them off. 

Thanks for the feedback, since the storage is about 3/4 mile from the house (gotta love that) I really don't get much of a charge, and hooking up the trickle charger the way I have been is a bit of a hassle.  So this might make a lot of sense for the storage months, even if I just brought it home for a night or two.

Ok here is the latest on my rig. I put the ole fluke on my start batteries, it read 10.20volts. I then pluged the mh into shore power. Still  10.20. Then I reached in the coach, and turned on the power switch at the door. 10.21-10.22-10.23 and on and on, up to 10.57 in about 35 mins. I thought it must have the trik-l-start or it wouldn't have moved, but why not up to 13volts?

I called winnie, they looked up my vin, and YES I have the trik-l-start, they couldn't tell me why it wouldn't go passed 10.53, they thought since the start batteries where bad, that maybe the t-l-start wouldn't charge anymore? so I looked at the 2start batteries, and couldn't find the model #, just that they were alliance(freightliner) so I called them and they said if I would get them my vin they would price me the batteries for the unit. I figured that I would just go back with them. any thoughts on that? ;D

kevin said:
so I looked at the 2start batteries, and couldn't find the model #, just that they were alliance(freightliner) so I called them and they said if I would get them my vin they would price me the batteries for the unit. I figured that I would just go back with them. any thoughts on that?

Wouldn't necessarily stick with Alliance batteries unless you happened to be at a Freightliner dealer for other work.  I have used Interstate batteries before and they are okay.

got 2new interstate's on there way. will be deliever tomorrow, just before we leave out, got a great deal. Signed up to be a dealer for them ;D

Damon gave me a pair of Interstate U-2200's in my 2005 MH.  Also a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with charge wizard to baby them.

They are now 4 years old, I"ve added water 3 times, and the following is my list of complaints to date:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom