Touring the USA... HELP!...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMAN

In a little over a year form now I will be retired, after 35 years. The big question I have been asking myself, is how to tour this wonderful country of ours? Has anyone done this before, in this forum? I live in Florida and will be hitting the roads sometime in Aug or Sept. Any ideas about equipment needs for the road. How far should I plan maximum lags of trips 400, 500 miles per day. Any ideas on places to visit and points of interest RV parks, National Parks.I know that our interest are different, but I would like some ideas. What questions should I be asking? Anyone written a book about doing this? Whatever you think would be of interest let me know and thank you in advance for your help. Also the input you provide I'm sure will be helpful to others.

? :)Thanks.....................

Many folks here have travelled the USA, some have done it many times. Check the Trip reports, journals and logs message board for some of their reports. You can also read some reports in our library. Click the Library button above and select Trip reports.

After reading these, you may have some specific questions we can help with.

After several years of retirement, I am still learning to SLOW DOWN! 250 miles/day is more than enough. When I'm in full tourist mode, I will often move only 100 miles and then stay for a week to fully absorb an area. Stay off interstates to see more. Chat with others at CGs to pick up interesting destinations. Be sure to follow all dotted roads. Follow in the footsteps of famous explorers. I pursue hobbies...dinosaur museums, astronomical observatories, all seacoasts. My friend Lorna is visiting every state capitol building...

My friend Lorna is visiting every state capitol building...

And that's after we have visited all of the lower 48 states.  Now we get to do many of them again :)

A good start is " The Great American Wilderness: Touring America's National Parks (Great American Wilderness) (Paperback)
by Larry Ludmer"

This book has suggested tours.  I have used those tours to plan mine.
r

rhmahoney said:
After several years of retirement, I am still learning to SLOW DOWN! 250 miles/day is more than enough.

Hear, hear!  For some reason there is a feeling that one is failing in life if one does not make 500 miles in a day.  Pack up in the wee hours, do the speed limit (or worse) all day, and fall into a campsite after dark.  Unless you are making your living on the road, and punching in at your destination, this is ridiculous.

Keep it down to 200-300 miles.  Set the cruise control to just under the speed limit.  Look at the scenery.  Stop for lunch in a nice spot.  Get into your destination with the sun still in the sky.  Set up camp while you do not have to grip a flashlight in one hand trying to light the water heater with the other two.  Have a nice dindin while watching a nicer sunset.  Life is too short to do otherwise.  ;)

RVMAN said:
In a little over a year form now I will be retired, after 35 years. The big question I have been asking myself, is how to tour this wonderful country of ours? .... Any ideas on places to visit and points of interest RV parks, National Parks.I know that our interest are different, but I would like some ideas.
?

My experience is with the western states, but that is pretty good.? ?Lets take must-do's by states:

New Mexico

Taos, Santa Fe, Fort Union.? This is best in the warmer months.? Carlsbad Caverns any month.

Arizona

Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Kingman, all in the warmer months since all are at? 6000+ elevations.? (Flagstaff gets serious snow as do the Canyon rims.)? Tucson, Phoenix, and Quartzite are winter spots -- unless you are into 100+ temps.? ?Bisbee,Tombstone, and Kartcher Caverns are either season.

California

Ah California, the mountains in the summer, the valleys in the winter.? ?The coasts and the cities anytime.? ?
Mountains:? Bishop and the Owens Vally;? Mammoth Mt., Mono Lake and Bridgeport;? ?Sequoia/Kings Canyon;? Yosemite; Lake Tahoe and Donner Pass (get off the freeway for a bit); Mt. Lassen Volcanic Park -- who would want to? miss Bumpass Hell?; Mt. Shasta.? ?

Coast:? in the summer only the redwood parks in the north and Big Sur and Mendicino coast CA-1 (drive the lonely sections northbound only);? Monterey and Pt Reyes -- summer only.?

Valleys:? Death Valley and Anza Borrego Desert State Park (Nov. thru March only); Gold Rush Country on CA-49 summer or winter;? the Central Coast of Solvang, the wine country, Los Olivos, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, and the Hearst Castle, summer only;? Sacramento.? Napa, Sonoma wine country, summer or fall while you visit SF.

Cities:? San Franciso any season but you will want/have to stay outside the city -- I like Petaluma across the Golden Gate which is near Napa and Sonoma.? ?San Diego any season, some nice RV parks in the city -- I like Chula Vista RV Resort.? ?LA?? LA is really, really big.? ?There are RV parks in Orange County, in Van Nuys, and in Valencia.? Avoid LA in September and October as hot and dry.? ?

Oregon

Ashland and the Shakespeare Festival combine with the Peter Britt Music festival in nearby Jacksonville and allow a week.? ?The Oregon State Parks on the coast are all jewels:? Cape Blanco and Honeyman are my favorites.

Washington

Mt Ranier NP; Black Lake RV Resort near Olympia; Sequim and the Olympic Peninsula. Try La Push over on the west side for a spectacularly sited RV CG.? Take in Mt. Helens on a day trip.? Duck across the border to tour Vancouver and Victoria.? ?If you don't want to haul the RV there, leave it at Bainbridge WA. which is within day trip reach of Vancouver as Victoria is of Sequim.

Utah

Not to miss Zion NP.? Take in Salt Lake City, there is an OK RV park in the city.? ?Capitol Reef NP is a true gem, stay in the park at Frutia or just outside at Torrey UT.? The back country ride of the Cathedral District tour is absolutely stunning and lonely country.? ?Since there is a river to ford, 4WD or, at least, a centered vehicle is recommended.? And then there is the nearby Arches and Canyonlands NPs around Moab UT.? ?Moab is a good base for touring the area.? Late Spring is recommended for all the Utah parks.

The Rest of the West

Yellowstone by all means.? ?Galcier NP, stay at the West Glacier KOA and use the public transport in the Park.? ?

Nice one Carl. I'll be adding that to the library.

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom