Slide problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rankjo

Hi all. I have an 01 Adventurer with the single 14 foot slide, which has worked perfectly up to now.  Yesterday when we put the slide out, I noticed some carpet bulging out through the lower seal.  It is a few inches from the rear of the slide, and I can see that it is a double layer of heavily worn carpet, the same as the carpet on the floor.  There are marks on the floor inside where the rollers run in and out, and the bulge matches the rear roller.  I'm assuming that the carpet on the floor underneath the slide has got rucked up and forced out through the seal.

The question is, what to do about it?  The slide still works properly, especially if we take it out almost all the way and pay attention to pushing the carpet back in there before extending the final few inches.

I'm basically sitting over the problem at the kitchen table as I write, and I am giving some thought to taking out the plywood of the seat, then the long drawer out, and trying to get a view through the base of the drawer. Then I might be able to fish the offending carpet out, and replace it under the roller with some lino which I would tack down.

Sounds good in theory, don't you think?  But the idea of a 1000 mile trip to the factory sounds a lot worse.

Any experience with this problem would be appreciated.

John Rankin, (presently in Gettysburg for a few days)

I would call Winnebago to make sure the following info is good for your rig, but they told me to extend the slide about half way and lift it up from the inside to gain access underneath.
Once they get it up some they use an air bag to lift and support it.

This was from a conversation I had with them regarding changing the slide "shoes" from plastic to carpet covered ones when I installed laminate flooring.

My carpet has been getting torn up from my big slide from the very beginning when the coach was new.  Some of the adjusting lock nuts were not tight and the slide had dropped about 3/8 of an inch and was rubbing and catching the carpet.  Dealer took care of it on warranty but thru the years the carpet has continued to get torn up a little at a time.  Since it really can't be seen without looking under the couch, I just glued it down.  What seems to work really well to hold it down is Gorilla Glue.  It expands x4 as it cures and is holding up well now for many months of fulltiming on the move.

Good luck,
Bill 

OK thanks for your replies, I think I have the problem fixed for the moment.

It turned out that my idea of gaining access from inside was in no way possible.  And looking at the slide, it seemed that it would not tilt as suggested by Clay, above.

So I put the slide a little way out, and poked around under the seal from the outside. Eventually, I took my courage in both hands and tugged the carpet out through the seal.  It came out without much difficulty, and proved to be only four inches wide and a foot long.  The slide continues to operate perfectly.

I did notice that the lower edge on the inside of the RV is lower at the rear, where the problem is, than the rest of the slide.  But the upper edge seems horizontal when compared with the inside ceiling line.

So for the moment, that's it. I will eventually get the slide adjustment checked, especially since I'm planning to keep this RV for 'ever'.

Many thanks for your replies.
John

Back
Top Bottom