Driving habits vs performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's try to eliminate some of the confusion. There are engine brakes, exhaust brakes, and transmission brakes.  Jacobs make both engine brakes (the Jake brake) and exhaust brakes (the Jacobs Extarder that I, and many other, have on their motor homes).  Pacbrake also make both types of brakes.  Allison makes a retarder that works within the transmission, but very few of us will have that feature.  There is also a electromagnetic brake that works on the drive shaft, but again, very few of us will have this.

All exhaust brakes work basically the same, as do the engine brakes.  So, to avoid the rampant confusion, please just refer to engine brakes, exhaust brakes, or transmission retarders when asking about these systems.  The manufacturer is irrelevant until discussing the actual details of the specific device installation.

Ned said:
The manufacturer is irrelevant until discussing the actual details of the specific device installation.

Point taken Ned.

Bernie:

Ned... My brake is labeled engine brake but I do not think it is a Jake.? I believe, after reading the manuals, it is the Allison retarder.? This may explain a lot of my confusion in understanding the replies I am getting in this thread.

Bernie, the slider on my stick increases cruising speed.? My engine brake does not work as you describe for either exhaust or PAC.

TOM, IT IS INAPPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS PRIVATE MESSAGES ON THE FORUM,? and your comments take my message out of context.? What you have done here in your last message to me is wrong.? I sure hope when we meet in person we can get things back on track.? ? :mad:

If I am not welcome on this forum, and am causing trouble, I will graciously leave.? Though I really have not intended to be taken this way.? I will really really miss the valuable information available here.? and even more the friendships.

Edited to remove duplicated message - Smoky

Smoky said:
My brake is labeled engine brake but I do not think it is a Jake.  I believe, after reading the manuals, it is the Allison retarder.  This may explain a lot of my confusion in understanding the replies I am getting in this thread.

Smoky

The only brake being used on engines at the Kountry Star level is the exhaust brake. The only coach builder using the Allison retarder is Foretravel.

Bernie, the slider on my stick increases cruising speed.  My engine brake does not work as you describe for either exhaust or pac.

You have the manual, I don't. I was stretching my memory back to 2002. IIRC pushing the slider the other way decreases speed, but there is an on/off somewhere. RTFM.

As Ned said, exhaust and Pac are the same and it does work as I described. The exhaust and engine brakes are activated by the accelerator pedal being in the -0- position (no fuel feed). As you crest a hill the fuel feed backs off to -0- activating the brake. Like it or not, that is the way it works.

Smoky

You're always welcome here and I can't imagine why you'd think otherwise. As I've told you both privately and publicly, things would be quiet around here without your questions.

Since the private message/comment I referred to was addressed to me and described me, I don't see any reason I shouldn't discuss it, especially when I have to explain (again) that I no longer tease or joke with you about anything. I clearly went overboard in my prior joking and I believe I've apologized for that.

Bernie:

You are correct about the slider.  I went and examined the coach and as plain as day, one way accelerates, the other way turns cruise off.  Never noticed that before lol.  It must be made by the same company that makes Tom?s air thermostat.  (Tom this is just good natured ribbing!)  At any rate, thanks for the tip.  Really appreciated.

I guess I will call Newmar on Monday.  My brake switch is clearly labeled engine brake, and the only discussion of it is in my Allison manual.  And it does not appear at all to work the way you describe.  Maybe something is wrong with it?  Maybe something is wrong with me?  I hope not as I really like the way it and I work.  :D

Tom:

?Since the private message/comment I referred to was addressed to me and described me, I don't see any reason I shouldn't discuss it, especially when I have to explain (again) that I no longer tease or joke with you about anything.?

Well if you want to justify your public interpretation of MY private message to you I cannot stop you.  I would never publicly discuss your private communications to me.  I take private communications seriously,and now I fear the security of private messaging here.

I also fear now that people will judge me by a comment I cannot respond to..

No one here should be subjected to this kind of discussion.  I look forward to mending fences with you when we have an opportunity to meet in person.

I look forward to mending fences with you when we have an opportunity to meet in person.

I can see it now.  At the talent show at Moab instead of seeing Wally and the "girls" we willl have a 3 rounder so Tom and Smoky can get to know each other better.  Will betting be allowed?

Jim Johnson said:
I can see it now.? At the talent show at Moab instead of seeing Wally and the "girls" we willl have a 3 rounder so Tom and Smoky can get to know each other better.? Will betting be allowed?

I will not produce that show!  ;D

Betty Brewer

LOL Jim and Betty!  :D

I am not going into the ring with Tom because I would need to upgrade my body first, and I have been unable to find a body dealer.  Instead, I will try plying him with a selection of single malts or something along those lines.  ;D 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom