This one is a real Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

I found something to pour money into faster than I do my Bounder.

It's a real DOG........  I mean it's a REAL dog.

My faithful old pure bred Pound Hound rescue dog (Reddog) destroyed the ACL in his left leg in January. 

One $2550 operation, and three months of careful late night neighborhood walks, has had his rehab progressing quite well...   Until last evening.

About 7:30pm the doorbell rang and he bounded (as well as a 12 year old dog with cancer and a bum leg can bound) down the hall to greet Jane.  Jane is my best friend and Reddog's true love.

Reddog must have Bosch brakes because when he reached the stone foyer they locked up and he slid spread eagle all the way into the living room.  Actually, it was more of a tumble as the ACL in his right leg snapped mid stride and left him with only 2? good legs.  I'd give him about an 8.5, out of 10, on his landing.

Today he is back in the Vet's for xrays and surgery prep.  I've been promised a discount on the operation this time.  $1800 plus add ons.  There is no such thing as a free dog......

Meet Reddog (we were in Hope Alaska when he asked me to take his picture)

Attachments

• 100_1631a.JPG
    100_1631a.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 83
I can relate, our yellow lab, Maggie, had it done 2 years ago this coming August.  She had the metal brace put in as opposed to the fishing wire.  So far, so good, but it was very costly $3700 here in Canada, don't know what that was in US $ at the time.  But as you say, worth every penny and we'd do it again in a blink.

ruthandken CDN said:
I can relate, our yellow lab, Maggie, had it done 2 years ago this coming August.  She had the metal brace put in as opposed to the fishing wire. 

Ruth, I had never heard of the metal brace alternative surgery. (I'll google it)  I guess that's not surprising, since I never knew about the fishing line technique either, until it happened to Reddog. 

I certainly hope the fishing line holds until the second leg heals, since the bad leg is now the good leg and must support his entire weight for a while.  I guess I should refer to his legs as his wheels  to keep the discussion legal on an RV forum. ;) :D

Yep...We've spent $1,750 on each of our Maltese' Buddy rear legs as each had the dreaded Luxating Patela problem.....and just had his teeth cleaned for $300...but I can't imagine not having him!  As Lou knows, it's well worth it!  :)

Lou it's called TBLO surgery and here is a link to what it looks like..  Click here and yes they say with the fishing wire the body will form scar tissue long before the wire eventually breaks.  The scar tissue will keep the knee in place after that.

Back
Top Bottom