What Spares Would YOU Take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

We have decided depending on shipping dates ( and I-539 application) to return to the UK with our RV & Jeep car in July or August this year.

I completed and submitted our I-539 using e- Filing several weeks ago and the $300 was zapped out of my bank account within seconds, written conformation has been received since the application but nothing since and our visa ran out on the 7th Apr :p

So here is my question for you guys out there.

Imagine that you were shipping  YOUR RV to the UK in order to tour for two years, what spare parts for your RV would you stock up on?

Just a start, and depending on what you could source in the UK ...

Water pump.
Black & gray dump valves.
Engine & generator belt(s).
Fuel & oil filters, including water separator(s).
Fuel pump.
Miscellaneous fuses.
Interior and exterior light bulbs.
Cabinet/drawer latches.
Fresh water check valve.

Not knowing what you can get in UK, here are just a couple of suggestions:

Windshield wipers and wiper motor
All sorts of lightbulbs (I'm done to my last bullet bulb and when it goes, I'm in the dark for reading)
Extra sewer hoses or two or three

Wendy
Grand Canyon NP

Tom said:
Just a start, and depending on what you could source in the UK ...

Water pump.
Black & gray dump valves.
Engine & generator belt(s).
Fuel & oil filters, including water separator(s).
Fuel pump.
Miscellaneous fuses.
Interior and exterior light bulbs.
Cabinet/drawer latches.
Fresh water check valve.

Every single item on this list is easily available (within a couple of hours if not days) from various companies in the UK such as ABP leisure, Star spangled Spanner, West Midlands American Motorhomes, Daves Motorhomes etc., etc., etc.  Not quite so easy to get hold of are Tyres (Tires)!

Dick from the BPG

I would take no spares of any kind except for maybe a few red light bulbs ;D. The Internet makes ordering most parts a pretty easy and quick task. I see no need to waste money and storage room on parts you may never need. Don't forget, if you buy a spare belt or hose and store it, the rubber is going bad on you just sitting there doing nothing. I would prefer to buy parts like that when I need them so they are brand new when they are installed.

I carry a few spares.. Light bulbs, I mean these things are always needing replacement so I keep a few handy, assorted numbers, I need o buy 4 just now that I don't have spares for.

Hen's Teeth (Stuff that's hard to find) such as the specific filter for my generator (Air and oil)

1/4" by 1" hex head bolts, NYLOC nuts and washers, grade 5  I buy 'em by the dozen, (Slide out shear pins, any suggestions for one that will take more shear I will READ)

OIL, and other "Vital fulids" like ATF for the jacks.

Then there i$ one more thing you $hould carry lot$ and lot$ of $pare$ of... Etching$  Retangular Green one$ with Picture$ of Pre$ident$ in the middle on one $ide

Good to know Dick, thanks. It might therefore make sense for Mick to buy his spares when he gets his coach back to the UK. However, I'd be sure to buy them (there or here) rather than wait for something to break. I wouldn't want to wait two days for a water pump or engine/generator belt.

Back
Top Bottom