Where to buy 22.5" tires for coach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarabelle

I live in the Houston area and connot Google up anywhere advertizing that they sell (and mount) motorhome tires.  I need to get all 6 replaced on my 2003 American Tradition.  They look pretty good, some checking, but they are 7 or 8 years old.  Also, if you have any suggestions between Michelin and Goodyear (or whatever?).  Thanks.

Try the truck tire places - they sell and install tires in the size you need. Camping World does also. Get quotes from several, including any fees, mounting and balancing (what they call the "out the door' price. Also ask about getting a credit for the old tires, which are regroovable and often re-sold to truckers.

Michelins seem to be the tire of choice among American Coach owners now, but they are the most expensive tire by far. The Goodyears suffer from "riverwear", a pronounced wear along the outer edge of the front tires. Generally, though, this does not cause a problem before the tire wears out from age or miles. Some AC owners have complained about badly out of round Goodyear G670's. A severely out of round tire is difficult to balance properly. Other choices popular are Bridgestones, Yokohomas and Toyos.

On the other hand we insisted Michelins not be installed on our American Eagle when delivered and it cam with Goodyear G159 tires.  These tires were replaced at 95K plus miles only because they were approaching 7 years old.  We replaced them with G670RV tires, balanced with Equal and have not had a problem.  Never have had success with Michelins even on cars or pickups.  While we are not considering replacing the Eagle if we did the new one would not have Michelins on it.

I like the Michelins but there was an issue with blow outs on the XRV.  I have the Michelins because they came with the coach but I will have to see what's out there when my tires need to be replaced. I bought a hawkshead unit to monitor the tire pressure and temperature. I have the brakes and tires everyone is complaining about. Thanks Winnebago.

Ron, I have seen many of your posts where you say you you don't like or would never have Michelins, just wondering why ?    Mark

We had Michelins on two vehicles they all required replacement with less than 30K do to problems with them was not a good experience.  Since that experience I will not have another Michelin on any vehicle I own.  Get to me once but not twice.

slovewell said:
I like the Michelins but there was an issue with blow outs on the XRV.  I have the Michelins because they came with the coach but I will have to see what's out there when my tires need to be replaced. I bought a hawkshead unit to monitor the tire pressure and temperature. I have the brakes and tires everyone is complaining about. Thanks Winnebago.

Are you complaining because you have a problem or because others do and you don't?  I also have XRVs and will replace them in the next two years with the same.  All of us with the W22 chassis made between 2001 and 2006 (47,055 of us) have potential brake problems that Navistar is going to repair via recall.  I fail to understand your complaint regarding the brakes not being supported by the manufacturer.  As far as tires, everyone seems to have an opinion, but there are basically only a few manufacturers that make trustworthy RV tires for the 22.5" crowd.

The only thing I don't like about Michelin is that they are French!

I've had XRV's on one coach and the XPS Rib on another and no problems. 

Getting back to the original post, the Michelins that many are buying for their American Coaches (to replace the Goodyear G670's) is the XZ series, e.g. XZA or XZE. I have no personal experience with those models.

Will probably be looking at Bridgestones for mine.

We drove our first coach on Michelin XRVs for over 60,000 miles without incident. Our second coach came with Michelin XZA2s which we drove for 5 years and 66,000 miles. Those were replaced due to onset of age with the decision triggered by nail damage destroying one tire. We now have over 20,000 miles on the XZA3 replacements. Other than the nail incident, we have had excellent service from the Michelins and are very pleased with the performance.

I never had a problem with michelins on any of my cars, and with 6400 miles on my coach, I would not expect to have any issues now, but so many people have complained about XRV issues that I am constantly checking them and I keep them covered so they don't get sunburn. Michelin did the same thing that workhorse is doing, claiming the owner has total control over the failures. If our equipment fails on your unit you did something wrong.
I enjoy reading everyones posts. I have learned a great deal by reading the different threads. I have only been doing this for five years so I have a lot to learn.

RV Roamer said:
I've had XRV's on one coach and the XPS Rib on another and no problems. 

Getting back to the original post, the Michelins that many are buying for their American Coaches (to replace the Goodyear G670's) is the XZ series, e.g. XZA or XZE. I have no personal experience with those models.

Will probably be looking at Bridgestones for mine.

Gary,

As one who is happy with his Michelins, I'm still looking at other brands as well.  Why, specifically, are you considering Bridgestones over the other brands?  I love their golf balls, just have no knowledge of their RV tires.

Denny

Last I checked the Bridgestones are about $250 apiece cheaper than Michelins and $100 less than Goodyear G670.

I just put two new G670's on the front - didn't have any choice of brand at the time cause it failed on the road.  When I do the rears (hopefully planned replacement rather than emergency) I'll be shopping for best price among the top brands.

FYI,

When it came time to replace our Mitchelins on our Tiffin Allegro Bus, we called Tiffin to ask what they recommended.  There has been LOTS of discussion on here about tires.... :D and we were thining about putting Goodyears on the caoch.  Tiffin told us they had suspended putting Goodyears on their new off the line coaches because it was difficult to keep the tires balanced and they were seeing unusual wear.  Tiffin was no longer using Goodyear, and had gone back to Mitchelins.

We put new XRZ Mitchelins on the coach and have been very pleased.

Marsha~

slovewell said:
Michelin did the same thing that workhorse is doing, claiming the owner has total control over the failures. If our equipment fails on your unit you did something wrong.

That story sounds very familiar. Like I said I don't plan to be taken twice.

RV Roamer said:
Last I checked the Bridgestones are about $250 apiece cheaper than Michelins and $100 less than Goodyear G670.

I just put two new G670's on the front - didn't have any choice of brand at the time cause it failed on the road.  When I do the rears (hopefully planned replacement rather than emergency) I'll be shopping for best price among the top brands.

Gary,

Can you point me in the right direction on the 'net to check out Bridgestone tires reviews from those who have them?  For some reason, my search efforts haven't been successful.

Denny

[edit]fixed end-quote location[/edit]

A note on that web page says:

"Due to the high torque requirement for RV and large truck tires, tires 19.5" and larger can not be installed by Costco tire centers. A refund for the installation charge and disposal will be refunded at the time the tires are picked up."

That means that you have to figure out how to get them to an installer of big truck or bus tires.

I hadn't even looked until you asked, because I don't put a lot of stock in those anecdotal reports - you get all kinds of opinions, mostly uninformed even though they may own that particular brand.

Here's one thread on RV.Net that has the usual mix of opinions, all the way from "wonderful" to "garbage"

http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20534245/gotomsg/20535649.cfm

Or here on the RV Forum:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=21893.0

Or this one...
http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RVAmericaForums/tabid/79/forumid/1/postid/357955/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Bridgestone is a major producer of commercial grade tires for heavy trucks and busses.

Kumho is another brand that is mainly commercial in nature, dealing mostly in the larger sizes.

Like a poster above, it seems that Costco is a good place for the 22.5" tires, and then you take them to a truck tire installer to be installed.

We have Michelin XRV tires on our unit, and will definately look at replacing these with the same brand in a couple of years.  These are really good tires!  :)

Back
Top Bottom