Generator Won't Start on Minnie Winnie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

My father has a 1994 Minnie Winnie.  He cannot get the generator to start.  At my suggestion I told him to get a new coach battery.  He needed the replace that battery anyway.  That didn't help.  He says when he pushes the start switch he hears a sound like a fuel pump pumping.  Any ideas?

How long since the genset was last run?  I would start out by checking for corrosion on the electrical connections and once the genset turns over confirming fuel is being delivered and replacing the fuel filter.  Gensets do not like to set for long periods of time without exercise.

Ron,

Thanks for the input.  Yes, the generator has sit for at least two years and I suspect that is the problem.  Can you be more specific about the electrical contacts?  Where are they located?

The connections I would check would be at the battery, then at the starter relay and at the starter.  Having set that long it could be the engine has become logged up but lets hope not.  One quick test would be to measure the voltagew at the starter while trying to start it. Be very carefull while taking this measurement.

LK23 said:
He says when he pushes the start switch he hears a sound like a fuel pump pumping.  Any ideas?

Does this mean that he does not hear the genset engine turning over? If the engine is indeed turning over, I think he would be hard pressed to hear the fuel pump operating. Cleaning the battery terminals at the battery and the genset "might" get the proper voltage/current to the starting motor and the genset will crank over. Whether it starts depends on the condition of the carburetor, fuel pump, gasoline availability and the ignition system.

If a genset has set for two years, the chances are that the carb is gummed up and he will need to remove and rebuild it or have it done professionally. Gasoline forms a gum or resin when it sets for long periods and the very small ports in the carb will be blocked or partially blocked. Sounds like he needs professional help.

RLSharp said:
If a genset has set for two years, the chances are that the carb is gummed up and he will need to remove and rebuild it or have it done professionally. Gasoline forms a gum or resin when it sets for long periods and the very small ports in the carb will be blocked or partially blocked. Sounds like he needs professional help.

My guess as well...

Back
Top Bottom