Trip to Mt Rushmore area.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

My family which consist of 2 adults, 3 kids 11 and under and my mom and dad are planning a trip to Mt Rushmore and Deadwood area.  We are going to have about 7 days to spend there.  I was wondering if  you guys could give me campground info (a place the kids would have fun) on places that are close to these areas.  Also, if there is anything that we just have to see that would be fun for the kids and the family.  Thanks

Don't miss Custer State Park. There are a few dozen wild burros there hanging around next to the main road. When you stop to take their photos they will stick their head in through your car window.

I really love Badlands National Park (I am a National Park junkie), but it is not everyone's cup of tea. Not much for the kids there.

We've enjoyed our stays at Rafter J in the Black Hills.  There is something there for all ages.  Pool for the kids, hot tub for adults, hiking, snack bar, etc.  It's makes a good home base to explore the area.

http://www.rafterj.com/

Margi

Torchbearer said:
My family which consist of 2 adults, 3 kids 11 and under and my mom and dad are planning a trip to Mt Rushmore and Deadwood area.  We are going to have about 7 days to spend there.  I was wondering if  you guys could give me campground info (a place the kids would have fun) on places that are close to these areas.  Also, if there is anything that we just have to see that would be fun for the kids and the family.  Thanks

Make 100%  certain you do NOT go doing the Sturgis rally unless you like the sound of LOUD Harleys 24/7 and paying more than a $100.00 per night at the dumpiest RV park you can find for at  100 miles in any direction.

We made that mistake a couple of years ago. Crowds everywhere. Not a single place to park in all of Deadwood.

-Don- SSF, CA

I second Rafter J Bar Ranch... we stayed there for 9 days last summer (while hurricane Ike was battering our neighborhood in Houston). Great place to stay and centrally located. Nice people and beautiful surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom