Runnin' With The Boy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On my way back up I 75 from Florida just this weekend I was pretty much running around 70 mph - yeah I know a little fast compared to what I usually run but.......gas is cheap and just about every other RV was running close to or over that speed.

I noticed a couple of coaches catching up to me and then blowin' my doors off - one was an Infinity, not towing, the other was a Dutch Star, towing a Jeep Wrangler. Since the DW was sleeping the little boy in me came out - I wanted to see how fast they were going - yeah I know pretty stupid but the devil made me do it. I harken back to the good old days of CB's and convoys - was ready to run with the "Big Dogs" But the Big Dogs didn't wan't me - they ran off and left me in their wake.

Found out some things I didn't know about my 07 Suncruiser with the 8.1 Engine - it won't go over 80 mph!! There's a governor on it and a message that comes across your speedometer that say's "You have reached maximum speed for this vehicle" and that's all she wrote. Not that I really needed to go that fast in the first place but now I know what happens if I do.

Also found that the cruise control doesn't work for beans at 68 mph and above - just makes the whole coach vibrate like it won't stay in gear. Both in 5th and 6th gear. Manually drive it and it's pretty good - just an occassionnal in and out of OD.

Realistically must have seen 1000 or more MH on I 75 last weekend coming home from Florida - not anywhere near that many this weekend. It was fun and I am glad to be home once again.

At 80 MPH my knees would be knocking so hard, the engine knock sensor would probably detect it and shut down.  Some people a just in a bigger hurry than me.

I hope you were not towing at the time.  From experience and automotive knowledge its recommended you never tow over 65 mph.  90% of wrecks with any rigs towing whether it was a trailer, car, or anything else was traveling over 65 and having something happen whether it be a tire blow, something drop, or even tow hitches breaking.  If you look at the tow guides for most our toads the list recommend or says not to tow over 65 as well.  Those that tow faster have got to be rich and insane.  LOL 

Yes I am aware of the speed rating - no they don't disenegrate when and if you do reach 80 - just to let all you Michelin users know - no I wasn't towing. If you read the post closely I stated I got up to 80 - didn't stay there - ran the most part of 1260 miles at 65 - 70 mph. Got to know the limits of your coach - I also took it out to check panic stops  - different handling situations and generally put it through it paces - to me it's important to get an idea of what to expect in different situations.

I am an excellent driver with over 1,000,000 miles under my butt with cars, trucks and MH's - no accidents no tickets.

Loved the story, but have to admit that I might be one of those guy's you were tryin to run with ;D I know that it isn't smart at all, so please don't beat me down.. I'm pretty sure though that most of those limits on the truck tires are to cover their ..well you know, have been passed way too many times by big rigs loaded down 80,000 plus runnin way faster than I do.

and about the towing thing, I'm sorry but if your hitch breaks loose at 80mph vs 65mph, your pretty much up a creek either way.kevin

Tom "Rocket Heart" Emahiser

Myself I like to get down the road.

I have a  F-350 Dually with a 36 ft 5th wheel. But when the wife is  napping she calls it thinking. I drive it like I stole it. LOL ;D

So that a boy Tom get down the road and run with the big boys or at least try  8)

Sorry  :(      not trying to Hi-Jack

Pat

The electronic speed governors have been around for a while.  I believe our 01 Adventurer on the Ford chassis is limited to 84 mph.  In our case there's no electronic message comming across the dash.  Those who have hit the limit (I've never tried) say it feels like someone shut off the power.  Regardless of how hard you try it just won't go any faster.

Yep....our Workhorse Chassis' have a govenor that activates at "approximately" 80 mph.  I've hit that alot.  I noticed the "top speed" on my chassis was hit on the way from Winnebago to the dealer in Denver! 

Tom, you can check your "top Speed", and "Top RPM" on your Atica diagnostices display.  ;)

Ever since we got the NUVI that records, among other things, "highest speed attained this trip" it has pretty much taken the fun out of "Running with the Boys" when the DW is asleep, er, deep thinking! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom