Mysterious activity with Air Conditioner today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AA4WP

Hello all....

This afternoon while I was installing a 32" HDTV in my 2004 Journey (36C), I noted that air began to flow through the overhead air vents; seemed cool, but was probably not.  After a few seconds, the air stopped flowing and found that the AC/Heat Pump was turned off; instead the setting was for Gas heat on the thermostat control.  I further noted that the green lights on the One Place control were not on.  I checked the panel for the Xantrex inverter/charger, and noted that the operation was for charge, yet no current was indicated to be flowing.  I checked all the breakers under the bed; they were all up; I reset them (down and up) and nothing was different.  The bedroom overhead lights were off (12 V lamps), yet the bedroom TV would come on (on AC).  I checked the AC on the surge protector; both lines indicator lights were lit.  I pulled the plug, to reset the AC (is that possible?) and after 136 seconds the AC power came back on.  Yet no Air Conditioner would come on.  Nothing else had changed; same absence of power in some places, same presence in other  places. 
I thought back to what I had been doing when I noticed the air flow from the overhead vents.  I was fastening the tv, reaching behind the left side and leaning against the switches on the right side of the driver's position.  I heard the windshield fans going, also an electronic beep from back somewhere in the coach.

To make the longish story a bit longer, I fiddled with the switches (off, on, off, on) and then checked the One Place panel and noted the green lights were on (you know, the shedder lights).  I turned on the Air Conditioner, and it came on.  Everything seems normal now.  Why?

Wendell

Oh boy Wendell  ???  Did you accidentally cut off your 12V house by leaning on the switch? (Don't know where yours is located)  Maybe somebody smarter than me can piece this together.

Wendell,

I have a 2005 Meridian, and I bet you leaned against the AUX Battery switch.  I only done it twice.  The first time, I almost cancelled a trip, before I figured out what happened.  I was cleaning the inside windshield when I must have hit it.  Second time was just enough time after the first time for me to forget what I did the first time!  I hate the CRS Syndrome!

Tom

John, I don't know what a 12 volt house switch is.  There are 5 switches on the dash; aux/main at the top, something about battery is second down (I'm going from faulty memory here), fans hi/lo, air horn on/off, and something else in the middle.  I think I know where the air from overhead vents came from; not the air conditioner vents, but rather the windshield fans.  The fact that I found the air conditioner not working caused me to think the a/c vents were the source of the moving air.

And Tom, what is the CRS Syndrome?  Does it have anything to do with retirement age?  Stands to reason.

Thanks, guys.

Wendell

Wendell, CRS stands for something like, Cant Remember Stuff, but I cant remember exactly what it stands for LOL

It has been noted to have a great similarity to the KRAFT Syndrome ;)

CRS - Other than misspelling the last word, Ian has it right!  ;D

The something about a battery switch is the house battery on/off switch.  It much to easy to inadvertently turn off.

THutch said:
CRS - Other than misspelling the last word, Ian has it right!  ;D
Yep, must admit that I have a very selective memory when it comes to things like that in a family forum  ::)

And so far nobody has asked me about KRAFT Syndrome, hopefully they can recall the meaning of that one  ;D

John...

I further investigated the switches on the panel today.  The second switch down is labeled "Aux batt/on/off" (or something like that).  I did not know that this switch controls the 110/220 AC circuits (at least those not controlled by the inverter circuits).  I should have remembered because this last long trip, I had to take house batteries out and swap them out, since the old Dimension charger wouldn't charge them up.  When I disconnected that battery bank, the air conditioner would shut off.  I erroneously perceived that the aux batt switch only controlled 12VDC circuitry.

Hopefully I will be able to further understand this recent mystery without need to revert to dubious acronyms.

Cheers,

Wendell

The A/Cs require 12 volts for the thermostat and will not run without 12 volts as is true of a lot of things in an RV like the Refer, water heater, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom