"boondocking" in the cold? Water tanks, sewage, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpcmbw

Hello All - I recently inherited a 29' fifth wheel.  It was previously in a RV park in Southern Cal.  I'm planning on parking it on a friends land in Tahoe this spring and summer. In May and June, it's possible to get down to 15 degrees. 

I won't have any hookups - so will have full water tanks and probably semi full black and gray water tanks, and have a couple batteries and will have to get a generator. I'll be up most weekends, but not every weekend. I'm concerned that anything holding water will freeze and crack my holding tanks. Any ideas how to avoid this? I thought of leaving the heater on set at 40 degrees - but figure the heater fan will kill the battery after a few days. 

Any and all ideas and possible addtl issues is appreciated.

I suppose 15 degrees in Tahoe in May and June is possible, perhaps an occasional 'overnight' but it wouldn't be the norm, certainly not for June.  I've lived there during those months and I don't recall those kinds of temps on a regular basis.  Mid 50-60 degree days in May and 70s in June are pretty typical.  If you just insulated the tanks with a couple of straw bales and drained the supply lines each time you vacated, you should be fine. 

BT

I agree with buddy.  Having lived most my life in the mountains of Utah which are not much different than the Sierras, I doubt you will find temps under 30 in May.  And for sure in June rare to find any temps lower than 40's at night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom