Mammoth Cave, KY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimrob

Looking for suggestions about the best place to camp near Mammoth Cave, KY.  Have a 29 ft. fifth wheel, need at least water & 30 amp power.  Will also have three grandchildren.  Need stuff for them to do.

Steer clear of the Jellystone there.  Just got back from there in late July.  Not very clean, the sites are not level and no shade.  It was also 105 degrees every day we were there with the heat index!!!  :'( 

The National Park campground was very nice, but the only 2 sites that have electric are the host sites and those book up quickly.  We didn't stay there, but drove through it one afternoon.  I don't know if you can use generators either.  There were plenty of motorhomes and trailers there, but I didn't hear one generator running.  It was nice and quiet.

We stayed at a COE park north of the park.  I will have to do some looking to give you the name and suggested site numbers.  Will get back as soon as I can.

Just found it.  It is the Moutardier COE park and is listed under Leitchfield, KY.  It seems the site we were in was 56, right on the water.

There are about 3 or 4 COE campgrounds on Nolin Lake, about 30-45 minutes drive north of the cave. All the COE campgrounds there are very good. The have large sites and quite a few water front sites.  We like Mouterdier Campground.

Chet18013

We stayed at this Jellystone over Labor Day weekend ('05) and it was fine.  The new owner took over around Memorial Weekend '05 and it takes a while to turn a place back around..  The new owner has been working hard to fix the place back up and had it looking good by the time we stayed there. 

We're planning on staying there again this year and we plan on bringing some friends along.

We stayed at the National Park once and the campground was rather basic.  I'm always looking for something more for my family to enjoy.

jimrob said:
Looking for suggestions about the best place to camp near Mammoth Cave, KY.? Have a 29 ft. fifth wheel, need at least water & 30 amp power.? Will also have three grandchildren.? Need stuff for them to do.

Have recently received a request to install my RV park reservation software in a new park in Cave City, KY. Their grand opening is May 12. Here's their web site:

http://www.cavecountryrv.com

Bob Buchanan said:
Here's their web site: http://www.rvcavecountryrv.com

Bob,

That link doesn't work, but this one will: http://www.cavecountryrv.com/

Hope they get the construction complete in time for the big day. FWIW the individual who requested the info hasn't been active here since 8/24/2005, but hopefully others will benefit from the reference. I might even check them out myself next time we're en route to visit the kids in KY.

Tom said:
Bob,

That link doesn't work, but this one will: http://www.cavecountryrv.com/

Hope they get the construction complete in time for the big day. FWIW the individual who requested the info hasn't been active here since 8/24/2005, but hopefully others will benefit from the reference. I might even check them out myself next time we're en route to visit the kids in KY.

Thanks, Tom. I should never type a URL vs. doing a copy/paste. :(? Have also modified my post . . .

This new client is my first from Kentucky -- as opposed to the other 66 parks around the country now using my software. As I grew up in central Kentucky, am pleased to now have a park in that part of the country. My Georgetown, KY high school (about 100 years ago now? :)) did a 10th grade class trip to Mammoth Cave each spring. An awesome experience for a 10th grader. Will never forget it.

After my Navy days, I did my Civil Engineering at UofK in Lexington -- and recall the Geology classes leading to that degree. Kentucky geology and all of that limestone certainly produced some interesting state topography (e.g. the rich bluegrass soil in central KY vs. the coal in the mountains of Appalachia). I thought of this when viewing the entrance to Arches National park in Moab a few years back at the forum rally. In that case, rather than a cave forming, the surface just sank a ton. The attached photo I took displays how the surface sank over 2,000 feet. Note the insert diagram in the upper right hand corner showing the shifting of the bedding planes downward. The ground level where the roadway entrance to Moab now exists far below was at one time at the same level as the display sign in the pic.

Attachments

• MoabFault.jpg
    MoabFault.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 18
Hi Bob,

I wasn't sure if you'd mistyped it (which is my usual trick) or if you'd copied/pasted it from an email they'd sent you. In case it was the latter (and they were inadvertently sending out incorrect URLs), I figured I'd best let you know rather than merely edit your post.

I knew you grew up in KY and figured you must be tickled to death to have an opportunity to work with a park there. Kinda like "local boy makes good" (a term often used in the UK).

Thanks for the geology lesson and the photo. I recall seeing that display when we visited Arches with some friends last year. Quite fascinating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom