Yes I'm a NOOB - Should I choose a 20 or 30 AMP site?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Path07

This will be first summer camping...

We are going to a campsite where they offer 2 choices for electricity... 20AMP or 30 AMP

My RV comes with a 30AMP cord (and I believe they are giving me an adapter - I have not picked up my RV yet).  I have A/C, Microwave, 2 slide-outs.

SHould I be going for a 20amp or the 30 amp site...it's only a 3$ difference between the 2.,... but if I don't really need 30AMP!!!!!

Thanks

If you are going to use the a/c then get the 30 otherwise save your money and get the 20.

Take the 30 AMP site. You might need air conditioning and one can never have too much electricity, IMHO.

Regards,
Liz Pearce

The answer depends partially on where you're going to be located.  If in a hot area, then you'll definitely want the A/C and 30 amps.  If you're going to be in cool mountains or maybe along a coast, then you might be okay with 20 amp, but I'd still go for 30 amp.  Running a microwave takes quite a bit of power and if that's your primary cooking mode you'll be happier with 30.  Also, if the RV has been sitting in the sun all day, you might want the A/C on for a while to cool it off when you return after a day of sightseeing or whatever.  It takes a while for RV walls to cool off.  Sometimes if there's a cool breeze, just opening the windows is enough, but I wouldn't count on that.  Also, if you're in a dusty area the wind and people driving on dirt roads can really pick up dust so leaving the windows open sometimes isn't a good option, especially if someone has breathing issues.  I'd go for the 30 amps myself.  The downside is that if you only get 20 and find you need 30 you may have to change sites which might not be easy if you're in a popular area.

ArdraF

In making decisions about site amenities, I weigh what I want to be able to do with the RV (run the A/C) with the location of the sites.  If the "better" sites are 20A, it would play a factor for me.

Where are you going to be? If you're somewhere where you'll need the A/C, go with the 30-amp. If you can live without A/C, go with the 20-amp.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Thanks everyone

We will be going there in the middle of July, so that's the hot and humid season.... and we will most certainly be running the AC, especillay when my youngest will be having his afternoon nap.

I looked at the campground and most of the "travelers" sites are out in the open, some shade but not that much... so the RV will be getting lots of cooking time during the day!!!

I'll reserve a 30A site!

Be aware that once a MH gets hot it is very difficult to cool it down when it is 90(+) degrees outdoors.  The secret is to turn the A/C on in the morning before it is needed.  It is much easier to keep it cool.

Thanks my friend..... That's baiscally the plan... turn it on in the day to keep the TT cool and then close it for the night.... cause those things are pretty noisy!!!

Path07,

I think you've made the wisest choice, especially in a hot humid environment.

ArdraF

I have found that the 20 amp sites are more condusive to smaller Pop up camper sites, and sometimes have a bit more privacy.  :)

We seek out the 50 amp sites that are available for larger units, as we tow our car, and appreciate the availabilty of running all our appliances at the same time if needed.  We do take 30 amp sites if there is no 50 amp sites available.

This is sometimes a problem.... availability!

Newer campgrounds have a wider choice....either 20-30 or 50A

While older campgrounds often only have 15A, although my father said that he runs his AC on his house 15A plug without a problem, but then again he's not actually camping there, so nothing else is working at the time!!!

OK this brings up another question. I have been to sites that have both 20 and 30 amps on the breaker panel. My motorhome is 30 amps. A couple times both were on. This did not cause problems, but I turned the 20 amp switch off when I noticed both were on.

What are the potential problems if any. I assume having 50 amps can't be good for a 30 amp system.

shavergator said:
OK this brings up another question. I have been to sites that have both 20 and 30 amps on the breaker panel. My motorhome is 30 amps. A couple times both were on. This did not cause problems, but I turned the 20 amp switch off when I noticed both were on.

What are the potential problems if any. I assume having 50 amps can't be good for a 30 amp system.

You only get what you are plugged into. It doesn't matter if the breakers for the unused receptacles are on or not.

shavergator said:

Actually the best practice is to turn the breaker off before you plug into it and turn it on again when you have plugged in.  An RV is always under load and you can get arcing at the plug if you plug into a live circuit.

shavergator said:

There are NO potential problems.  You can't get to the 50 amps unless you are plugged into the 50 amp receptacle. 

If you have a 30 amp system on your coach with a 30 amp plug it will not fit into a 50 amp plug on the campground pedestal.  However, if you get a "dogbone" which is a short electrical cord with a 50 amp plug on one end and a 30 amp female receiver on the other end, then you can safely plug into a 50 am plug on the campground pedestal.

And having a 50 amp plug along side a 30 amp plug on a campground pedestal will not do anything to your coach.  It's like have two receptacles in your home.  If you don't plug into it, it doesn't do anything.

However, like Carl, we turn all circuit breakers off before we plug into the campground receptacle.  And, we have a surge guard system on the coach so that if something is not right, it warns us so that we don't do any damage to the electrical system in the coach.

Marsha~

To answer the question you choose the site that matches your plug. If it's a 30 amp plug, get a 30 (or 50) amp site, NOTE: good idea to carry adapters (50-30 and 15-30) just in cuss. yes, cuss (What you do when the site only has the wrong size outlet and you don't have the adapter) :)

Page 2:

Leaving both, or all 4 (50 amp has 2 breakers) breakers on:  There are two answers here

1: IF there is no lamp in/on the box, then it makes no difference cause power runs someting like this

Park -Breaker-Matching outlet (20)
Park-breaker-matching outlet (30)
Park-breakers-matching outlet (50)

the 30 amp breaker feeds power ONLY to the 30 amp outlet,  The 20 to the 20 and the 50 to the 50

However if there is a light in/on the box.. It is hooked to the 20 amp breaker (normally) unless you are in one of the rare parks that provides a special breaker just for the light.

Turn the breaker OFF before you plug in, (Whatever breaker fits) and on once connected

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom