Pulling up & down Hy. 17 In az.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

free2

Those That Have Travel That Road Too & From Phx. With A 1Ton Truck & 5er, 36 ft. With standard Eq. No Jakes, How Is the Going, Low Gear All  Of The Way??? any Problems???  Thanks jim

We've done it many times with a 1 ton truck with manual transmission and a heavy 5th wheel.  No problems, but you'll spend a lot of time in low gear.

Jeannine

Bottom line is that IF you are within your weight limits you should be just fine.  If the weight limits are exceeded then all bets are off and you are taking chances.

Any Problem With Overheating, Or Brakes  Getting Hot??? Thanks Jim

free2 said:
Any Problem With Overheating, Or Brakes  Getting Hot??? Thanks Jim

No problem with overheating, and brakes never get hot, because Dan won't let me use them :p.  We had trucks with manual transmission and downshifted a lot until we bought a GMC with the Allison transmission last year.

Jeannine

thanks jeannine for the imfo, has anyone else had any experiences on hy 17????? thanks jim..

I-17 right?  Been there, done it a number of times with the rig in my signature block.  Nothing special just a lot of downshifting going down to lock into 2nd and 1st.  Same in reverse going up following the old rule of going down in the same gear that you go up.

We've driven I-17 numerous times both ways and if you manage your speed it's not a problem.  Keep the RPMs up on the up grades for cooling and keep the speed down on the down grades with occasional application of the service brakes.  An exhaust or engine brake is a big advantage, however.  You don't say if you have a diesel, but if you do I strongly recommend you get an exhaust brake if you're going to do any towing in the west.

Ned said:
We've driven I-17 numerous times both ways and if you manage your speed it's not a problem.  Keep the RPMs up on the up grades for cooling and keep the speed down on the down grades with occasional application of the service brakes.  An exhaust or engine brake is a big advantage, however.  You don't say if you have a diesel, but if you do I strongly recommend you get an exhaust brake if you're going to do any towing in the west.

Oh yeah!  I would not move in the west without a engine brake on a diesel -- especially on those long, long interstate grades like on I-17, or 5, or 70, or 90, or 80 or.... 

We are still kinda new to the diesel thing, having a Ford F250 6.0L towing a 38' fifth wheel....when going down a steep grade the engine automatically shifts down, providing a "braking like" sensation.

My question: Is this considered an engine (or exhaust brake)?? Or should we be looking for an after-market add-on of some kind?

I didn't catch what year your Ford is.  If it's a newer model you may have what they call a tow/haul mode.  It will be a button on the dash.  If you have that and put it into the tow/haul mode then yes you have something like an engine brake.

We have a 2007 Chevy with a tow/haul mode and I LOVE how the thing works.

If you don't have a tow/haul button, then yes, you may want to consider putting in an after market exhaust brake.  The diesel engines don't have the compression that the gas engines do.  In a gas engine that compression really helps to keep the speed in check when going down hills.

Marsha~

Thanks Marsha & Tom for your input.  Marsha, we do have the Tow/Haul button on a 2004 F250 Crew Cab...from what I read on the Telma type brake or the others, the RPM reduction kicks in before braking is usually necessary.  Going to get the manual out & see what it has to tell me.

Whatever it's called, it's great and sure reduces braking requirements during downhill grades or abrupt slow downs. :p

can you put the engine brake on a auto trans. diesel??? I have a 2000 3500 dodge... thanks jim

sorry for the dumb question, found out a engine brake can only be put on a manual trans...thanks jim

Depends on the torque converter.  If the torque converter is a lock up type it will work if not a different TC will also need to be installed.

free2 said:
   sorry for the dumb question, found out a engine brake can only be put on a manual trans...thanks jim

I'm not so sure about that.  I had a friend who has a Ford Diesel automatic, I think it was a 2005.  She had the dealer put a 'jake" brake on it and it worked great. 

Now my problem is that I can't remember if a "Jake" brake is an engine brake.  (hummm)

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom