Magna Dyne/Sirus Radio - Anyone replaced it with the new 2009 Radio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Snipe

Well, I believe I've toasted my Magna Dyne/Sirus Radio on my 2007 Journey.  I got a 1(888) Call Sirus on the display.  Called them and they trouble shot their end and found all things working correctly, so it has to be the radio.  It has done strange things before like when I press the CD eject button, the volume goes up and down, etc.  :eek:

I've had two previous failures of the Sirus adapter, both replaced under warranty.  :-\

I understand WB has introduced a much better radio for the 2009 models.  Has anyone installed one?  Is it worth the trouble or should I just buy a good Sirus ready radio from an electronics store?  ???

Best Regards!

Paul  - somebody (I think it was on another forum) has replaced that radio, but I can't remember with what.  I think the radio is a standard din or double-din size, so your options are limitless.  I've heard with the XM-Sirius merger, they will be looking to introduce new radios, so maybe hold off for a while, or buy a cheap portable until they get it sorted out.

The big question is which (satellite) fleet are they going to keep flying... ?

John Canfield said:
Paul  - somebody (I think it was on another forum) has replaced that radio, but I can't remember with what.  I think the radio is a standard din or double-din size, so your options are limitless.  I've heard with the XM-Sirius merger, they will be looking to introduce new radios, so maybe hold off for a while, or buy a cheap portable until they get it sorted out.

Thanks, John!  I can wait a while to see what new radio will be introduced.  My Bonnie Bride, however, is getting tired of my singing! ;D

Best Regards!

your radio should be a din 1/2 unit, which can be replaced by most din units(that is the most common) there are very few good din 1/2 units out there. XM and Sirius have already done all they are going to do as far as the programing is concerned. They have made it more worse for choice options(too many) than it was before.

any JVC,Kenwood,Pioneer,Alpine unit will work in your MH along with the reciever and ant. you will not be able to use the existing reciever or ant(magna dyn loves that) They were making new recievers that would allow both xm and sirius to be recieved, but when they merged that was kinda a dead point. My dads factory chevy is xm , but now he gets some xm, and some sirius stations too.

Thanks for the info, Kevin!  I guess I have to do some comparison shopping at Best Buy.
And don't waste your money on that lottery ticket, I already bought the winner... ;)

Best Regards!

Old Snipe said:
Thanks for the info, Kevin!  I guess I have to do some comparison shopping at Best Buy.
And don't waste your money on that lottery ticket, I already bought the winner... ;)

Best Regards!
well atleast someone can make some good use outta it ; :D hey I got a great Idea, why don't you bring some of that lotto money to arkansas, and stop by my car audio shop and I'll sell ya a sat ready radio ;D we have a great selection just in for that newly crowned lotto winner!!!!

The Magna Dyne in my Voyage is trash! It has one of my CD,s in it and it refuses  to give it back! Art

Art In Mobile said:
The Magna Dyne in my Voyage is trash! It has one of my CD,s in it and it refuses  to give it back! Art
Hey art, does it make a noise like it is trying to eject? if so, take a business card, and put it half way into the cd opening, then hit eject, sometimes they get out of sync and they raise the cd too high, and at a angle, the card will help center it and let it come out. kevin

I replaced my Magnadyne Radio/CD/DVD with a single (1) din Pioneer Radio/CD and a .5 din Audio Vox DVD player. They fit almost perfectly in the 1.5 din hole the Magnadyne came out of. Great sound quality and with XM Radio too.

KEVEN & John
Thanks for the tips. Keven no it does not make any noise. John I have put in a dollars worth of quarters already & still it will not give me back my Cd. Art

Kevin, good point. My Radoi/CD player would start cycling even without a CD in it, Vary random with absolutely no detectable sequence detectable. It would shut of the radio when doing that.

I took the radio out and cleaned all the connectors; no dice.

I finally took a credit card and put it into the slot, wiggled it around a few times... has worked flawlessly ever since. Don't ask me why.

FWIW, I did not use an Amex card.. ;D

carson FL. I guess it pays to have a great credit rating.  ;)

I've had some experience with Kenwood double DIN radios, and they are great. I haven't used the single DIN set ups like the KVT-514, but I imagine it is the same high quality as the bigger ones. One thing I really like with these is that with a few adapters, you can have state of the art audio, including DVD, nav, ipod, XM or Sirius radio and bluetooth, all in a single unit. They are somewhat pricey, but I've never heard a major complaint about them.

How bout it Kevin, would you agree?

jrshall said:
I've had some experience with Kenwood double DIN radios, and they are great. I haven't used the single DIN set ups like the KVT-514, but I imagine it is the same high quality as the bigger ones. One thing I really like with these is that with a few adapters, you can have state of the art audio, including DVD, nav, ipod, XM or Sirius radio and bluetooth, all in a single unit. They are somewhat pricey, but I've never heard a major complaint about them.

How bout it Kevin, would you agree?
we sell a few kenwood units, usually the single din, and entry level. They still make good stuff though. You gotta watch some of these units though, they will have alot printed on the box, Sat ready radio,bluetooth,Ipod ready, so on and so forth, BUT you have to have a reciever for the sat, a cable for the Ipod, and a bluetooth unit that plugs into it also.(not all are this way,but alot of the "Good Deals" end up costing more) and not only do some of these units require all the extras, but if they do come with them you have to remember that they are plug ins which requires more space.

Jvc has a new unit out with the bluetooth built in, but requires the sat reciever, all units will require this....for now, but I think in the future you will see true sat radios with everything built into the unit.

my problem is that most rvs still use the din 1/2 style radio's instead of single or double(the most common ones out there) which makes it more work to replace that magna dyn stuff. I cut the rest of the dash out of ours, moved the camera moniter out alittle and put in a pioneer double din unit I had sitting around at the shop. kevin

Well I have come to realize that I am a "Din Wit" when it comes to the technical talk on the radios.  Would someone be so kind as to educate me on what a "Din" is?  ;)  And then what is a "half Din", a "single" and a "double" Din? 

Thanks!

Old Snipe said:
Well I have come to realize that I am a "Din Wit" when it comes to the technical talk on the radios.  Would someone be so kind as to educate me on what a "Din" is?  ;)  And then what is a "half Din", a "single" and a "double" Din? 

Thanks!
don't feel bad, if you don't deal with something everyday then you may not know the lingo, I tell customers all the time"This Headunit will cost you this, and this one this", they look at me and say "I don't know what your talkin about I said I wanted a radio" :D

I didn't look at the link john left, but I'm sure it tells you that 1/2 din, din, din 1/2 and double din all refer to the size of the radio, and face plate of the radio.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom