1997 HR Navigator 40WDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewAtIt

I am about to pull the trigger (first of next week) on the purchase of the subject vehicle.

A repo with 87K miles.? My head is spinning a little (mileage, age, unknown maintenance, fuel costs, the unit is certainly less than prime) however I THINK those uncertainties are covered in a low entry price.? I am also new at this, obviously, my other experience is with pop-up camping.

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or encouragement.? It would be great to hear from you...

I would say slow down.  First, a repo is likely to have been neglected in the maintenance area since if the owner couldn't make the payments, they probably didn't take care of the rig either.  It would be worth the money to pay an experienced RV inspector to thoroughly examine the rig before committing to any deal.  A low price may end up in significant and expensive repair bills in the near future.

I agree with Ned on this one.? Too many unknowns with a repo.? I.E why did the owner default on the loan?? Was it a lemon and they just gave up, was it financial problems?? In either case it is very unlikely the Coach was taken care of and maintained.? Poor maintenance can mean big big problems.? I would strongly recommend walking away from something that has questionable background.

Ned said:
I would say slow down.? First, a repo is likely to have been neglected in the maintenance area since if the owner couldn't make the payments, they probably didn't take care of the rig either.? It would be worth the money to pay an experienced RV inspector to thoroughly examine the rig before committing to any deal.? A low price may end up in significant and expensive repair bills in the near future.

I think the inspection route is good, with walking away second.

How do I find such an RV inspector?

Ron said:
I agree with Ned on this one.? Too many unknowns with a repo.? I.E why did the owner default on the loan?? Was it a lemon and they just gave up, was it financial problems?? In either case it is very unlikely the Coach was taken care of and maintained.? Poor maintenance can mean big big problems.? I would strongly recommend walking away from something that has questionable background.

Ron,  I think most things bought second hand have questionable backgrounds.  And yes, a repo even more so.  If you are able, please let me know what may be the issues in a "worst case" of say: No maintenance for 30K miles.  No oil change, filters, adjustments etc.  I know this is not good but what is the measurable extent?  What other items should have been addressed in that time span that "can mean big big problems."

Thanks Again

I think the inspection route is good, with walking away second.

I would be inclined to reverse that order.  Especially since you say there are NO maintenance records.

How do I find such an RV inspector?

Yellow pages?  Try some of the mobile RV service places, they may offer inspection service.  And I would have the engine checked by a good diesel shop, Cat if it's a Cat, Cummins if it's a Cummins.  The engine and transmission are the most expensive items to repair/replace on a motor home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom