Planning on purchasing - just thinking ahead...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandon722

Hi everyone - found this forum and there is tons of info in it, but I couldn't find the answers to these questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Background:
We live in Denver, CO - and plan on exploring the Rockies more in the coming years.  We are avid campers - tent camping about 6 times a year, but we are tired of sleeping on the ground.  We have rented a Coleman Santa Fe for a week and we loved it - although it felt pretty large (more than we absolutely needed).  So, in the next month or so I am planning on buying a smaller popup tent trailer - I figure I'll take advantage of people not wanting to store these over the winter and those rental agencies looking to get rid of their rentals - so I should get a decent deal.  I am thinking an 8 or 9' box trailer - I only have myself, wife, dog and new daughter - and I have to be able to pull it with my 2002 Isuzu Rodeo - so the lighter the better.

Questions:
1.  I live in Colorado - how do I go about registering and getting plates on the tent trailer?  I assume the DMV has more information - but they have nothing on registering campers and they consider trailers non-motor vehicles - so what does that mean?
2.  If I buy a camper without a furnace - how hard are they to install?  How much should I be looking to spend to heat the small area?  Can I get an electrical one that runs off the battery (less worries about fumes)?  Any suggestions on brands?
3.  Do you have any warnings for me?  Anything I should be weary about?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate all your advise - hopefully I don't sound too dumb.  Brandon

Hi Brandon and Welcome to the Forum.  I'm sure someone will jump in here who has had experience with a popup type camper.  We have not had such experience since we went with the old Shasta Motor Home as our first purchase and now have a Road Ranger Travel Trailer.

I myself would think it would be better to buy the popup with the furnace already installed instead of trying to put it in later. However, that is just my opinion.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon to help you out.

Regards,

John

1.  I live in Colorado - how do I go about registering and getting plates on the tent trailer?  I assume the DMV has more information - but they have nothing on registering campers and they consider trailers non-motor vehicles - so what does that mean?

Nothing.  You may assume that you will have to register and get plates for any trailer you haul.  I can think of no state that will miss the opportunity to hit you with fees.  Just hi yourself down to your local DMV.

2.  If I buy a camper without a furnace - how hard are they to install?  How much should I be looking to spend to heat the small area?  Can I get an electrical one that runs off the battery (less worries about fumes)?  Any suggestions on brands?

Hard.  Do it yourself jobs with the safety implications of proper furnace operations is not a good idea.    There are portable heaters, catalytic.  However, the idea of an unvented, not bolted down furnance makes me nervous.  Especially if I am sleeping in the same room with gadget.  If you can get a factory or dealer installed furnace, get it.  Otherwise go without.  Just like you did in your tent.  Remember the fun of getting out of a warm sack with frost on the tent? ;D 

3.  Do you have any warnings for me?  Anything I should be weary about?

Be wary of RV salesmen.  Same breed as car salesmen, just a different line of patter.  Assume no technical knowledge, just BS. 

I assume that your Izuzu is the Rodeo with the 3.4 V-6.  If so, you have a tow rating of 4,500 lbs according to Trailer Life's 2002 tables.  Since you are towing in the high country, keep your trailer weight to about 80% of that rating:  3600 lbs.

Most importantly, enjoy.

Brandon,

We camped a few times a year in a Coleman Taos until I retired and we graduated to a 5th wheel.

The Taos was an 8' bed.  With just the two of us we wound up moving everything whenever we wanted anything.  I'd think 10' if you have the two capacity and it sounds like you do.

And like Carl said, look for one with the furnace already installed.  A) It will be cheaper that way, and B) The options are not good.

Well actually, if you usually camp someplace with hookups, an electric cube heater is great.  But without hookups all the options have some risk of killing you.

I remember one cold night in upstate NY!

Brandon,

We camped a few times a year in a Coleman Taos until I retired and we graduated to a 5th wheel.

The Taos was an 8' bed.  With just the two of us we wound up moving everything whenever we wanted anything.  I'd think 10' if you have the two capacity and it sounds like you do.

And like Carl said, look for one with the furnace already installed.  A) It will be cheaper that way, and B) The options are not good.

Well actually, if you usually camp someplace with hookups, an electric cube heater is great.  But without hookups all the options have some risk of killing you.

I remember one cold night in upstate NY!

The furnace question you ask can be simply answered. Buy a small portable space heater. A small 6 inch box type is very sufficient for heating a pop-up. Keeps it toasty warm inside. Small, effective and easy to use and store.
Also, The difference between an 8 ft. box and a 10 ft. box are unbelievable. It's like going from a compact car to a luxury model. In my opinion, in an 8 ft. you need to go outside to change your mind. A 10 ft. at least you can stretch out a little more and not constantly bump into something or somebody.

One thing to consider before buying a space heater is your little daughter.  Is she old enough to touch it but small enough not to understand not touching it?

In Texas, trailers and non-motorized things you pull are registered and tagged in your county's tax office.  I would check there.  HTH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom