Yamaha DC cord for Generator???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailor

Howdy,

I have a Yamaha EF1000is portable generator, and can no longer find the DC charging cable.  I checked with the local dealer and they quoted $65 for a replacement!  The cable is just a short one with alligator clips on one end, and the plug is a pair of slanted connectors.  Is anyone familiar with this style plug, is it proprietary or can I find it elsewhere and make my own cable?

It kills me to pay that kind of money for such a thing.

Here is a crummy photo from the website.  You can barely make out the DC connector near the bottom.

PHOTO

From the picture that I see here here it looks like a regular plug for ac, but the blades may be a little longer than standard. IF that is true, then it shouldn't be a problem to duplicate for less than $10.

John In Detroit said:
Why bother, the DC output is kind of anemic, and not all that DC either
Hi,

Because I need DC to keep a battery bank charged which is running a transmitter, and the generator is also providing AC for other items.

regularguy said:
From the picture that I see here here it looks like a regular plug for ac, but the blades may be a little longer than standard. IF that is true, then it shouldn't be a problem to duplicate for less than $10.

I believe that IS the cable, but the blades are not the same as a 2 prong AC cord.  They're sloped outward at the bottom i.e. closer at the top, further at the bottom.

RV Roamer said:
Since that ad says the price is only $15, why not buy it there and be done with it?  Even with shipping it should not be too expensive.

I live in Canada, which to US retailers is no different than being at the Arctic Circle.  No shipping, and if they do, it's by UPS which inflates the price by 500 - 1000%.  I'm trying hard to find a local solution if at all possible.  Thank you for the help.

sailor said:
Hi,

Because I need DC to keep a battery bank charged which is running a transmitter, and the generator is also providing AC for other items.

Ok, that is the standard answer, Here is what is wrong with it

Unless the load is exactly balanced with the generator's 12 volt out you will either over charge or run down the batteries  Both of these options are not good

A better option is to use a proper 3-stage charger to maintain the batteries,  In fact considering the capacity of htat 12 volt jack I think a couple of Battery Minder Products come right close to being a better option,  then charge using the 120 volt out  THis way you do not over charge, and since you can get a slightly larger charger/converter you don't undercharge either.  About the only thing that 12 volt outlet is good for is a light bulb.

The 12VDC should not be used in conjunction with the AC. The DC is provided by the exciter circuit before the power is inverted to AC, drawing off the DC will reduce the power available. The unit will sense the low power and overcompensate, you could get as much as 160 VAC at the outlet.

Thanks for all the information....does anyone know what the plug style is, or if it's available anywhere?

I believe that the plug is proprietary. I have never seen it anywhere else. You will get better charging from a standard battery charger plugged into the AC and you can use it to charge any other batteries very quickly if necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom