Experience with Costco's FREE Concierge Service for Electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

Here's a report I recently posted on our Blog relating our experience with this service.     http://mmgandddgtravels.blogspot.com/        MMG = DW.

"Sorry for the gap in posts, but the computer finally refused to do anything.

I was so frustrated, my plan was to wait until we got to Albuquerque and go to the nearest Best Buy and turn it over to the Geek Squad! Since the computer is about 18 months old, the question would be "Repair or Buy a New One?"

MMG, ever practical, remembered that we had bought the PC at Costco and paid for it with the American Express Card and that Amex added one year to whatever warranty the manufacturer provides.

Naturally, every bit of paperwork on the PC is in my office in Cary. I called Amex and the very helpful lady ("You've been a member since 1970? Wow!") talked me through how to go online and recover a record of the purchases we had made in 2007 where we found the date and amount of the charge when we made the purchase at the Westminster, CO, Costco.

At MMG's insistence that I get the facts from Amex on how to file a claim and what was needed to file the claim before I turned the PC over to the Geeks, I found myself sitting in the car in the Best Buy parking lot talking to another very helpful, if somewhat inept, Amex service person.

When she discovered that we had bought the PC at Costco, she told me about this wonderful "Concierge" service that Costco provides to purchasers of electronics at Costco and suggested that under this (free) plan Costco extends the original manufacturer's warranty for one year. She told me that if I had the "Concierge" coverage, Costco would pay this claim and the Amex warranty extension would start when the additional year provided by Costco ended.

So, rather than delivering the PC to the tender mercies of the Geeks, it was off to the nearest Costco to get the lowdown on the "Concierge" service. Turns out there is much more to the "Concierge" service than just a warranty extension. You can read all about it http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11251861&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|75383&N=4024870&Mo=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75383&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=Chere.

When I called the "Concierge" service to inquire about the claim procedure, I found that they also provide free technical service. Their technicians spent almost three hours running diagnostics on my laptop's hardware and software and came to the conclusion that there were so many software conflicts that the only real solution was the "nuclear" one -- an RFS!!

Fortunately I had everything backed up because RFS means Return to Factory Settings! This means exactly what it sounds like. Everything on the harddrive is removed except the programs that came with the computer when it was new! GULP! Had I really backed up everything!? Yes, --- I think.

So that's what we did and I've been spending the last many hours restoring programs and files that had been added over the past 18 months. So far I haven't added back whatever was causing the problem and it is going smoothly.
"

Another fact not covered in the blog is that I was told by one of the technicians that the Concierge service supports all of the hardware and software that comes on the computer.  He told me to be sure to call them as soon as something goes awry and they will try to help me.  The implication was that if i had called sooner the solution would have been much less drastic!

Here's what I now know about Costco's Concierge Service.  During the first 90 days you may return your product for a full refund.  Costco extends whatever warranty the manufacturer provides to 2 years.  In my case that is an extra year. I'm not sure how long the free tech help continues, but it is at least for 2 years.

Needless to say, Costco will be a leading contender for my next electronics purchase.

FWIW, I have no relationship with Costco other than as a happy customer.

Thanks for the story and the link Don. I've bought our last two PCs and another for a neighbor at Costco for the same reason. Did I mention the price was right also.

I had heard about Costco's service from my RV dealer and went over to check it out. I found the TV I wanted, the price was right and I was ready to make the deal. It was then I discovered that they only accept American Express credit cards. That blew the deal for me as I did not have an American Express card and did not want one. I had AMEX for work once and dealing with them was a PITA. I wish Costco would change their policy as I would be happy to do business with them. I just normally don't go around with $1500 or so cash in my pocket.

I discovered that they only accept American Express credit cards

Cliff, I've never understood Costco's Amex restriction, but suspect it has to do with the transaction charges that Costco pays. FWIW we have a credit account attached to our Costco card, but it's not Amex, nor is it a separate card. Whenever we check out, we just say "charge it to the card", and we pay the bill at the end of the month, although it has normal credit card payment options.

Always thought you had to be a Costco member to buy there.(except for pharmacy). My membership came with 'buy on card' ability.

The Costco web site only offers two cards, the Costco Cash Card and the TrueEarnings card which is a branded Amex card.  Is there a 3rd non-Amex card that's not advertised?  We, too, have avoided Costco because of the Amex limitation.

Always thought you had to be a Costco member to buy there.

AFAIK that's still the rule.

My membership came with 'buy on card' ability.

That might be standard procedure now. IIRC when we first joined, there were two competing membership store chains, Price Club and Costco. They merged and became PriceCostco, before dropping the "Price" part of the name. Can't recall if we originally joined Price Club, but do recall upgrading to Costco Executive membership some years later, and I think that's when we first got the credit option attached to the card.

Is there a 3rd non-Amex card that's not advertised?

It's not a separate card, but a credit feature attached to our existing Costco card, although there's no clue on the card itself that there's a credit feature attached. Looks just like a regular Costco card. We've never applied for, or owned, an Amex card, either through Costco or direct.

Boy, that is nice to hear.  I am afraid we do not pay to much (ie: enough) attention to these things.  We do have a Costco membership ("executive") and and the required American Express card.  We also like many carry no balance and pay it off each month.  So the only thing we ever pay attention to is our monthly bill and not any of the side benefits.  A first hand report is good.  Also did not even think about being able to call Amex about an old bill and get a copy of it. :eek:

Tom, you must have a grandfathered membership card.  The only two shown now are as I described and both are Costco membership cards.  Only 2 choices, prepaid cash or Amex.  I guess we'll stick with Sam's Club :)

We dropped AMEX 20 years ago and wish Costco would take other cards.  However, our Wells Fargo Debit Card (w/Visa logo) works just fine at Costco.  Other debit cards probably work as well.  We got used to shopping at Sam's during our traveling years and would like to see Sam's come into Oregon. 

We recently bought a high definition TV at Costco and were pleasantly surprised by the doubled warranty and concierge service.

Margi

you must have a grandfathered membership card

Have you tried asking? I don't recall seeing the credit option advertised, but vaguely recall it was offered when we took the Executive membership otpion.

We've even bought a car with a "Costco membership discount" (available to all Costco members & doesn't require one to have the credit option). Sam's doesn't offer that, nor do they give us a check at the end of the year based on our purchases  ;)

No, I haven't asked as I just heard about this possibility today and the nearest Costco is 20 miles away.  Although Sam's Club doesn't give us cash back, the Discover card they accept does.

To keep this on topic, does Sam's offer the free 2 year warranty and concierge service?

Ned, You and I are on the same program. I shop at Sam's with my Discover card. Costco does take and Debit card but that does not allow you the extra time to pay for the purchase like you do with a credit card. If I make a purchase on the 7th of the month for example (the card statement closes on the 6th) I have 30 days until I get the bill and then almost 30 more until it is due. I then pay it with no interest due after using their money for almost 2 months.

As for the concierge service, I do not think Sam's offers it. That is why I would like to do business with Costco for those items.

Interestingly, Costco allows the use of other credit cards for online purchases. I wonder if there's a policy change in the works.

We have membership at both Costco and Sam's Club.  Since all are credit card transactions is the same as cash to us, since we pay off in full each month, we don't really care about the credit card issue.  We like both but I tend to favor Costco.  Like others we are not AMEX fans in any way and do not have their card.

Tom said:
To keep this on topic, does Sam's offer the free 2 year warranty and concierge service?

I don't think so but then I don't use Sam's Club for my electronic purchases.

Can anyone tell me how to get a Costco membership such that I don't need to use either their cash or Amex cards?  We don't need another credit card, already having 2 MasterCards and a Discover, and won't use a debit card.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom