16" Tires. Replacemnt suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

My plan was to go Goodyear, get the G670 tires, but it appears they don'ty make them with 16" rims.  I am only finding E rated, would like G or H.  Toyos aren't recommended now I guess, although I see lots of RV's with Toyos.  Bridgestone?  Notocommie tires made in China?  I am a bit lost.  I realize many of you have 19.5 and 22.5 experience, but have you heard of, or can recommend 16's?

In a 16" tire get any good brand of LT (Light Truck) tire in your size. You are not likely to find G or H in that diameter - 16" tires don't carry that much load. Why do you think you need a G rated tire? Check you axle GAWR and figure the load the tire has to carry (1/2 the GAWR + a little) and buy that load capacity. It will be stated on the sidewall - xxxx lbs at yy psi

Nothing wrong with Toyos, but they do not advertise for the RV business after a bad deal from National RV & Country Coach left them bitter. But you aren't really talking about RV specific tires anyway.

Bill,

Check "Tire Rack" according to them, Michelin has load range G but I wasn't sure of the actual tire size other than 16".  Might be worth a try.

LT just seems wrong.

Bill,
You can't use P or ST tires, so what else would you choose? There are some that don't have any letter prefix and they may be ok if you check the specs on loading and so on, but an LT tire is a heavy duty application rating and that's what you want. Tire Rack describes LT as  the "little brother" of the tires used on 18 wheelers.

As for G vs F or E, its just a letter and has no standardized meaning. "G" is greater capacity and an "F" of the same make & model tire, but that is all it means. A "G" of one brand/model tire could even be lower in weight capacity than an "F" of another brand/model.  The only important rating is the max load carrying capacity which is stamped on the side of the tire by DOT regulation. Make sure THAT number exceeds your actual weight requirement by a decent margin and you have the best tire money can buy for your rig.

Maybe I was mislead sometime back, I was told each consecutive letter indicated 2 more plys.  IOW a D is 8 ply, E 10 ply. 

I checked out Tire Rack and E ratings were all between 3042 and about 3280.  Obviously I would go with the 3280, but them looking at tread configurations, some just didn't look right to me.  From 'luggy' patterns to more traditional.

I need the tire pill.  I want G670's in a 16" tire!!!!

PancakeBill said:
LT just seems wrong

I know what you mean, Bill.  The term "Light Truck" always makes me think of a Chevy S-10.  You telling me that those little dinky things roll around on the same tires as my huge Class A?!  ;)  Obviously not.  I like the idea of LT tires being smaller versions of those on semi-trucks.  Sounds much more manly.  ;D

If it is for your trailer, Goodyear sells one that is G rated and has a 110 psi. I have them for my Carriage. But if it for your truck sorry I could not find any and had to get 19.5

"LT" or "Light Truck" may sound wussy, but I sure don't mind being able to put eight of the best tires Goodyear makes (in my size) on my Bounder for less than $1500.  Actually it was nine, I carry a mounted spare. 

I must admit though, a 102" wide coach, on the older narrow chassis with 16' wheels, should have been called a "Blunder" rather than a "Bounder". :D

That is "Light Duty Truck" as opposed to "Medium Duty Truck" or "Heavy Duty Truck".  An S10 or ranger is the very lightest of the light duty trucks but LT generally includes everything up to and including a one ton, e.g. F350 or Chevy/Dodge  3500. Officially the federal gov't ends "light truck' at 8500 lbs gvwr for fuel economy (CAFE) purposes, but that has no bearing on tire capacities.

Yes, the load range letters equate to "plies", but tires don't actually have plies (layers) anymore, so even that is a misnomer. And plies or "ply ratings" do not equate to a specific load capacity.  A "G" tire is stronger than an "F" tire in the same tire series, but a "G" of one make & model" is not necessarily the same as a "g" of another make & model. It's probably close, but it is a mistake to assume all "g' have the same load capacity. they do not. Ply ratings are useful only in comparing within the same tire make & model series.

The Michelin has been recommended to me by a dealer.  any good or bad thoughts?  These happen to also be the most expensive.

That's probably a question with no single answer.  Some people love Michelins, some hate 'em.  If they are the most expensive tire, the dealer probably gets a higher commission.  Not that I'm suggesting that's his only reason for the recommendation.  ;)

IIRC tires are like child safety seats... they ALL have to meet the same exact federal safety standards in order to be marketed and sold in the U.S.  Therefore one brand is not inherently safer or "better" than another, although some may have additional features.  On carseats it's the padding and cupholders, on tires perhaps it's the tread design or mileage rating.  But a load rating means the same on one tire as another, so after that the decision is subjective and probably mostly financial in nature, i.e. how much you want to spend.

This is all easy for me to say, as I've not had to make this decision yet.  I have 2006 Toyo's on mine (newly installed when I bought the rig), which will stay there barring any unforeseen complications in the next 4 or so years.  I'll be interested to see what you decide.

went thru the hate mich on my BMW.  When I ad ratings, traction, rain etc, the M cam in double the Goodyear.  Too badthey aren't like shoes. try on, drive a bit, take your pick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom