Food from USA to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesOne

We are going to Niagara Falls, ON next week from the USA. It is still not clear to me what fresh and frozen foods we are allowed to take into Canada. Can anyone steer me to a site that spells out the restrictions?

We are only going to be in Canada for three days and then returning to tour the northeast US for a month. Should I just wait until we return to the US to stock up?

James

We weren't asked any questions about food crossing into Canada, but were asked about alcohol and firearms. Food restrictions (beef and raw eggs) were on re-entry into the U.S. Forum staff member Steve Pally wrote an article on crossing the border. To view it, click on the Library button above, select RVing in Canada and click on Crossing the border. Steve provides contact information for the Candian government in the article.

I just crossed back and forth about 6 weeks ago and will be going back in 3 more weeks for another 10 day visit. Last time I crossed, both ways, no questions were asked about food. I crossed at Sault Ste. Marie.

Woody

There are no food restrictions coming into Canada from the U.S.  However there could be restrctions on meat products including things like pet food when you return to the U.S.

Be sure to have all papers for pets including immunization documents and be sure not to be carrying any firearms when you enter Canada.

Have a look at some of the pertinent postings in this message section with links to customs, and firearms information.

You may take advantage of duty free shopping on your way North and South provided you comply with importation regulations bothe ways.

Be careful with the amount of liquor and tobacco products you are carrying both ways.

When I went across to Canada in Alberta, they asked nothing about food. Asked about booze and we said we had a few bottles of wine and some beer for our own consumption. No problem. They also asked about firearms and pepper spray. We told them we had none and that all bear spray does is make the bears mad. ;D They agreed and sent us on our merry way with there good wishes.

When we came back into the USA through the Wild Horse border crossing, the US Customs officer was very concerned about meat. Told him we had some which we had brought from the US in our freezer. He went into the coach and looked at every package in the freezer to make sure it was not Canadian meat.

The crossing from the US to Canada was much more pleasant than the crossing back from Canada to the US. But I guess that doesn't surprise anyone.  :)

Though Canada is accepting of US foods, There was a case of Mad Cow reported in Canada, (And for that matter in the US but it was a Canadian cow)

The US is so scared of Mad cow you can't believe it.... For example.  NO company here in the US still markets Beef insulin for use by diabetics (Or pork for that matter) Some diabetics have "issues" with the so-called "Human" insulins.

Well, for a while it was fairly easy to import Beef from England where a company called C-P Pharmacuticals manafacturs it.

Now the fun part, CP buys it's "Raw stock" (Insulin crystals) from Lilly, it's all US beef, plus the process by which the insulin is "Refined" from the pancreas of the cows insures that Mad Cow won't make the trip.

But still, citing Mad Cow fears the FDA and/or USDA blocked the importation

Frozen food is fine, but don't bring in any fruits and veg, especially potatos. That is a no no.  If you want to have bear spray don't bring it across the border. You can buy it most anywhere in Canada. 

Back
Top Bottom