Selecting new Michelin tires for my Itasca Horizon 40AD - Frustrating experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

After making several phone calls to Michelin and finding the customer service phone reps were clueless about RV tires, I made four email requests for RV tire information on the Michelin web site.  Each time I requested assistance in determining what tire would be best to replace the Michelin XZE 275/80R22.5 LRG tires on my Itasca Horizon 40AD.  And, I specifically requested information on the differences between the XZE and the XZA3 tires.  Most of the Michelin responses only provided a replay of basic information that could be read on the Michelin web site.  And, each message suggested I send a reply message if I needed further assistance.  I did reply and every message went unanswered.

Finally, two weeks later, in response to my fourth Internet request for information I received an answer from Bill at Michelin that answered most of my questions.  Here is a summary of what I learned.

1. The Michelin XZE 275/80R22.5 LRG is no longer manufactured in G load rating.  It is only made in the LRH rating.

2. The primary difference between the XZE and the XZA3 tire is the XZE has a deeper tread depth than the XZA3 and will cause more skirm or movement from side to side.

3. The XZE is a regional tire and the XZA3 is a long haul tire. Bill said the regional is more like a local Fed X driver.  Long haul is like an owner/operator over the road driver.

4. The XZA 3 will give a softer ride.  I am still questioning why the difference here.

5. There is a slight size difference in width and diameter of these tires.  I questioned whether this was enough to cause speedometer error.  Bill replied: There should be no difference in speedometer reading with either.

6. Both tires have the same 5-year warranty against workmanship and material defects.

I also contacted Bryan Funke at Winnebago and learned that Freightliner is using the XZA3 tires on new Horizons.

Conclusion:  I plan to purchase XZA3 in the LRH rating.  The softer ride is an important factor and the extra tread of the XZE is a non-factor since I will probably replace the tires before they wear down.  Also, it seems like the Long Haul is a better description of motor home use.

Moderators note:  although this might appear to be a generic tire replacement topic, I want it here in the Winnie forum due to it being about choosing a tire for our particular model.

Rex - what a story! It should be a whole bunch easier to spend your many $$$!!

Like you, I have read the Michelin blurbs of the various "RV tires" and have been less then enlightened. Michelin even has a separate  RV Tire website (see http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/index.jsp) but it still doesn't delineate the differences much. And what is the difference between "regional" and "long  haul"? I know what the drivers do different as far as their daily driving, but what is the significance of that in terms of tire characteristics? Michelin doesn't seem to know either.

I think any of these tires would be fine for an RV. RVers don't need long tread life, and don't generally subject their tires to abusive conditions. And noneof the Michelin "RV tires' makes any special claim about UV protection or sitting unused for long periods.

I just went through the same exercise, replacing my two front tires with Michelin XZA3s.

If you go to the Michelin RV tire website as mentioned by RV Roamer, there is a link at the bottom called the Tool Box. 

That takes you to a page with a link to Reference Materials, which contains several PDF docs.

The one marked "RV Tire Data Book", about a 4Meg PDF, has a lot of info on the various tires.

I found it useful...

I had taken a look at the Michelin "RV Tire Data Book" when I started this quest for new tires.  It has some very good information but does not delineate the difference between the XZE and the XZA3 for RV's, (ie long haul vs regional, softer ride, etc.)  Bottom line:  Michelin has some very good information online but not quite enough info to make a purchase decision.  And, most unfortunate, their phone reps seem clueless when asked the difference between various RV tires.

LK23,

Did you ever get an answer or clarification on the "softer ride" issue? I am currently looking into replacing my 6 year old tires on my Horizon as well. If you have any ride reports, they would be appreciated.

Pete

Pete,

No, I never received a reply from Michelin.  Every email message they send invites you to reply for more information.  I have replied on every message and still no response after two weeks.  Their customer feedback program is pathetic.

I will initiate a new request with just that question and post the answer, if I receive one.

OK, here is the Michelin reply from Colesta.  Once again, more confusion since she is denying that the XZA3 tires have a softer ride.  And, once again, they are comparing to the ZXE2 that is not made in the size I need for my motor home.  I have spent weeks trying to obtain decent information on RV tires and still come up short.  The whole process has be a fiasco.

Here is the latest response:

We discussed your emails with one of the Michelin Truck Tire Engineers.

He stated he is not aware of any ride/comfort complaints about either the
XZA#, XZE or XZE2 used on any RV applications used in long-haul or regional
type applications.

Ride and comfort is determined by the vehicle and tire inflations, the
higher the inflation needed, the stiffer the ride.

The shallower the tread depths, the better handling and less squirm and the
tires run cooler.

If your are basically a full time RV'er or drive extensively on interstate
freeway driving, the XZA3 makes more since  than the XZE2.  If you use your
vehicle part-timer driving short distances and mostly on back-roads, the
XZE2 should fit your needs.

I keep asking the basic question, other than tread depth what is the difference between the XZA3 and the XZE tire in LRH rating?  There may be no difference but it seems no one at Michelin can answer the question.

If I remember correctly, the XZE2 has not only a deeper tread but also a rib in the channel of the tread to prevent rock drilling as well as a buttressed sidewall, probably for curb hits on corners. It makes sense that the long haul tires would not have these features as they would not have the same hazard environment.

Seems like the XZA3 is the wat to go in load range H.

Pete

Pete,

I agree, the XZA3 tire seems like the best replacement tire for the Itasca Horizon.  Wouldn't it be great if Michelin actually said that and explained why it is better instead of dancing around the subject.

I received a reply message from Michelin today saying the XZE2 is available in the 275/80R22.5 size (I cannot find that info on the Michelin web site).  It now seems they are recommending this tire and, once again, provide no reasons why it would be the best tire for my application.  ::)

Our TS came equipped with XZA2s. When I had to replace them a couple of years ago, XZA2s were not available and we installed XZA3s. I really can't notice any difference between them.

Finally a call from Michelin. :) 

I received a call today from Bill at Michelin who was very helpful.  Bill confirmed that Michelin does offer the XZE2 in size 275/80R22.5 LRG.  It has been out for over a year and was designed to replace the XZE.  Strangely, I still can find no reference to this tire on the Michelin web site, except in one size, not mine.  Bill said this would be a good replacement tire for the XZE tires that came on my motor home.  It has a beefed up compound in the sidewall to prevent sidewall damage.  It is also more oil resistant.  It has a deeper tread and is a regional or urban tire.

I told Bill that my use is more like the long haul description.  I drive the Interstates mostly and then camp for weeks before heading out on the Interstate again.  I also said I will probably replace the tires due to age before I wear out the tread.  Bill agreed that the XZA3 might be more appropriate tire.  It has lesser tread depth by 3/32 inch.  It has less rolling resistance resulting in better fuel economy.  It has a de-cupping groove in the shoulder rib for enhanced shoulder wear.  Bill could not state to a certainty but felt the XZA3 might have a softer ride due to the difference in sidewall construction and the lesser tread depth.

In terms of load range, Bill suggested I stay with the load range G tire (14 ply) and save some money.  I told him that the H range would allow me to run about 5 lbs. less air in my tires based on current weight.  Again, Bill suggested the G tires, saying that I probably would not be able to recognize the difference in 5 lbs of air pressure.

Bottom line:  I confirmed my previous decision to get the XZA3 tires.  I am still undecided whether to get load range G or H.  Both have a load range that exceeds my maximum axle rating so that isn't an issue.  Presently, I have the G rating tires and based on my weight I have 100 psi in the front and 85 psi in the rear.  If I were loaded to the maximum axle weights tires would need 110 psi front and 95 psi rear.  If I had H rating tires, my inflation psi would be 5 psi less at current weight and 10 psi less at the maximum axle rates.  I guess the decision comes down to how much price differential there is for the H rated tires.

I would welcome anyone's thoughts on the load ratings, G vs. H.

LK23, I give you lots of kudos for perseverance. I don't exactly know what the problem is.

Thousands of RV'rs buy tires every year.. are you looking for super-perfection? No one here seems to know what exactly your goal is. My opinion only.

carson

As long as the LR G tires will handle your actual axle weights, with perhaps a small margin, then you don't need to spend the extra money for the LR H tires.

Carson,

No, I wasn't looking for super perfection.  I kept asking Michelin to tell me the difference between the XZE and the ZXA3 tires.  A very simple question and I only received half answers until I received today's call from Bill.

Back
Top Bottom