Replacing Ol' Yeller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BernieD

We spent all day today looking at and test driving cars. I think we have narrowed it down to either a 2006 Nissan Xterra (silver, not yellow) or a 2005 Honda CR-V (also silver). Yellow cars are dropping in popularity and are getting hard to find. We found 1 2005 Yellow Xterra but didn't like the condition. We also drove the Chevy Traverse and Equinox.

The Xterra drove the best of all the cars we tested and had a lot of room. Speaking from experience :'(, it is a solid, safe vehicle. Negatives are it is more expensive, particularly after putting in a drive shaft disconnect, heavier and poorer fuel mileage. I am very happy with the Nissan dealer back home.

The CR-V is smaller, lighter, cheaper and better fuel mileage. Also only need a tow plate and brakes, no disconnect. The disconnect works better, IMHO, since it is simply a push/pull to engage/disengage, no running thru gears.

If we wind up with the Honda, what is the recommended supplemental brake; the Xterra had an M&G and we were quite happy with it. I might have heard that the M&G doesn't fit the Honda. Is that true and what is a good alternative?

I vote for the Xterra and paint it yellow  :D Although "Hi-O-Silver" could replace Ol' Yeller...............

You were happy with the Xterra why change brands and get something that is unknown to you.  I'm with Wendy we vote for the Xterra.

Bernie:

We had a M&G on the first CRV that worked fine but seemed to use the car brakes too much and required new brakes every 30k. On our '08 CRV we installed the Air Force One that works great and has a light to show me when it is being applied.

One other thought Bernie if you get the Honda who would act as tail gunner on the off road trips?  More I think about it you need to stick with the Xterra.

Ron said:
One other thought Bernie if you get the Honda who would act as tail gunner on the off road trips?  More I think about it you need to stick with the Xterra.

Ron

It's getting very hard to find a good used Yellow Xterra, but with all the 4x4 no-shows at recent framily gatherings, I've been leading rather than tail gunning. One further negative on the newer Xterras, the back seat is getting harder to climb into. But we still like the car and it drives nice.

My wife has a CRV we bought new in 99 and we love it tough little car just do regular maintenance and it keeps on ticking. Wish my suburban was as tough as the Honda it is also a 99 and starting to nickle dime me to death.

BernieD said:
Ron

It's getting very hard to find a good used Yellow Xterra, but with all the 4x4 no-shows at recent framily gatherings, I've been leading rather than tail gunning. One further negative on the newer Xterras, the back seat is getting harder to climb into. But we still like the car and it drives nice.

Another important reason the Honda just won't work since the Honda would never make it over "The Ridge" and many other places we have been known to travel. ;D

Ron said:
Another important reason the Honda just won't work since the Honda would never make it over "The Ridge" and many other places we have been known to travel. ;D

Now wait a minute Ron!

Two cars got hung up on the ridge, our CRV and a yellow Xterra. ::)

We love our CR-V. They are allot more roomier than you think. But with the grandson car seat in the middle of the rear seat it tight for another adult. I installed a Blue-Ox bar and love it!! You can barely see it went it not hooked up and I did not need to cut any on the fascia on the Honda to install it.

Jeff said:
Two cars got hung up on the ridge, our CRV and a yellow Xterra. ::)

Sorry Jeff, this yellow Xterra never got hung up on the Ridge. The one time it did get caught was in a rut dug by CR-Vs and GCs on our ride out thru Blythe and south back to AZ, some mine or something.

Ron, even with the Xterra, I doubt if I'd ever be on the Ridge again. The last time we did it that last climb before the mesa where we usually stopped for lunch was in real bad shape and getting worse. I haven't heard from any 4 wheeler (not ATV) that has been on it since.

Well, Ol' Yeller has been replaced. We really liked the Xterra the best but the back seat access was difficult, the drive shaft disconnect was very expensive and a 3-4 week wait to complete, as well as the disconnect not possibly usable this model. Out.

We saw a CR-V that was well priced, looked to be in good shape and had most equipment on it that we would have liked. Unfortunately, it had no WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

This morning we were touring more car lots and saw a 2006 Chevy HHR which had much to offer as to what we wanted; inexpensive, good shape, quickly towable and high WAF. It also came with a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty nationally and a 3/36,000 power train warranty. It was priced well according to NADA and had a clean and good Car-Max report.

The car was dropped off at a Blue Ox dealer for the tow bar to be installed and we should be on the road by Saturday morning pulled Little Red  ;D ;D Picture attached. We' probably add an Air Force One, or equivalent, at FMCA-Bowling Green.

Attachments

• HHR [320x200].JPG
    HHR [320x200].JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 52
Bernie:

Congrats.

We'll be able to find you in the desert with the bright Red. ;D

Congratulations. Guess you better change your signature block Bernie ! How will Little Red do on 4WD runs?

Wendy
Abiquiu Lake, NM

Bernie,

FWIW, we have a couple of acquaintenances that tow the HHR andlove it.  I have ridden in one and found it very nice.  I might even propose one to the W and and see how the WAF is.  It has not been good so far on anything I have suggested.

I saw a Chrysler LeBaron convertible yesterday that I thought would be good, bright red too.  Got a real negative WAF on that one!  VBG

Wendy said:
Congratulations. Guess you better change your signature block Bernie ! How will Little Red do on 4WD runs?

Thanks, I guess its time for the signature block and avatar. Little Red is only 2 wheel FWD, sorry to say our 4 wheel drive days are over, just tours over graded roads.

Bernie, nice looking new car.  You can always get a ride from someone with 4WD :)  You've earned it.

Bernie, congrats on the HHR!!!  Our daughter just bought a 2009 and loves it.  I didn't mind the ride in it.  (I'm a truck person) She really likes it which is all that matters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom