Going downhill in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmt3ks

Help!!!! About to buy a used 2003 Winnebago Brave. Two problems. The brakes are not as responsive as in a car. What baout oing downhill? You certainly can't ride the brakes. Also, RV has 30,800 miles and needs it's 30,000 mile service. Can we get it home (1000 miles) before the service? Is this an expensive proposition?

If it is a gasoline engine, no problem -- downshift.   The rule is you downshift to the gear that holds you back with only a rare touch on the service brakes, to keep the speed down or when going into a curve.   Another good rule is that you go down in the same gear you went up. 

To answer the usual question:  Yes, I have gone down hills in 1st.  Long hills.   Miles and miles.   ;D

If you have a diesel engine, the same applies if you have an engine brake installed.  If not, get one.  Now.

The brakes in your Brave have a whole lot more vehicle to stop than any car. Use the gears as Carl suggests and don't ever let the speed build up too high so that you need a lot of braking. Anticipate and slow down BEFORE you get in trouble.

Ron said:
Another good rule to follow is never go down the hill faster than you went up.

The rule I heard is to go down the hill in the same gear as it took to go up the same hill.

But with automatics, I assume many don't know which gear their tranny is really in, so this might not always be all that helpful.

-Don- SF, CA​

DonTom said:
The rule I heard is to go down the hill in the same gear as it took to go up the same hill.

It also depends on the grade leading up to the top of the hill. Going from Brunswick, OH across Hwy 303 to I-271 there is a hill with a 17% grade going down. However, there is not much of a grade going "up" to the top of the downgrade. Fortunately, the hill is not extremely long like some of the grades in the west, but if you are not prepared it is like a roller coaster and with a curve at the bottom you could be in trouble. The signs just indicate a downgrade ahead--no indication of the percentage of grade. Going the other way, there is a sign at the bottom which tells you that you are approaching a 17% grade.

RLSharp said:
It also depends on the grade leading up to the top of the hill.

Yep. These type of "rules" are for going up a hill, making a U-turn and going down on the same side. ;D

-Don- SF, CA​

Hi, I have a Winnebago Adventurer similar to your Brave.  You have to start out with the firm understanding that this RV is NOT a car, and should not be driven the way you dirve a car.  The speed should be kept lower, 58-62mph is usual on the highway, but in town we just dawdle along.  The distance you keep from the vehicle in front should be MUCH larger.  If you do that, the brakes are adequate, but you may have to push them pretty hard on occasions.  I live in constant awareness that if the guy in front suddenly stops it could be embarrassing.  In cities, for example, we make no attempt to keep up with the flow of traffic, and let the flow go round us.

Having said that, we have not had trouble, and the ABS brakes work ok. We also have a good supplemental braking system in the Jeep we tow, which is highly reccommended and makes quite a difference.

Hope that helps
Rankjo 

As to the engine / chassis 30K service:  I would say it depends on when the last service was performed.  If the engine has been sitting for a while, acids can build up in the oil due to condensation, so at least have the oil changed.  Check the air filter to make sure it is not constricting the flow, or your 1000 mile trip home could cost a lot of fuel unneccassarily.

HTH,
Doug

Do you have a Workhorse P-32 chassis?  These chassis are known for "hard foot pedal" brake pressure.....another words, you have to almost stand on the brake pedal to get any type of fast stoppage.  It's not a flaw, it's just the way they are....you need good quad muscles!  :)

The Ford F-53 chassis won't require you to be in shape as much.  ;D

What about with a trailer?  This sounds like a stupid question, but will it hurt the TV to downshift while going down hill?  Usually, I just coast b/c the Durango & Fleetwood will only reach 60 going downhill.  However, with a drive through the mountains of KY, TN & NC coming up, I'd like to know.

meyerhaus said:
Usually, I just coast b/c the Durango & Fleetwood will only reach 60 going downhill. 

If you ever get out west, I can guarantee you that your Durango & Fleetwood will exceed 60 going down some of the grades. If you don't down shift or have an engine brake you will burn your brakes up and probably end off the road at the first turn or sooner.

RLSharp said:
If you ever get out west, I can guarantee you that your Durango & Fleetwood will exceed 60 going down some of the grades.
I assumed as much, but we all know what happens when you ASS U ME.

meyerhaus said:
What about with a trailer?  This sounds like a stupid question, but will it hurt the TV to downshift while going down hill?  Usually, I just coast b/c the Durango & Fleetwood will only reach 60 going downhill.  However, with a drive through the mountains of KY, TN & NC coming up, I'd like to know.

Not at all.  To downshift an automatic, touch the service brakes to reduce the engine rpms and take the strain off the tranny, downshift, and then release the service brakes.   Piece of cake.  I  do it all the time going down the grades of the mountain west.  

RLSharp said:
If you ever get out west, I can guarantee you that your Durango & Fleetwood will exceed 60 going down some of the grades. If you don't down shift or have an engine brake you will burn your brakes up and probably end off the road at the first turn or sooner.

Not to mention the curves that should not be negotiated at 30MPH and once there it could be too late.  If your top speed going up the hill is say 35MPH you should not exceed that going down.

PMT,

Another hint:  Pay attention to the signs for truckers.  If one tells truckers to "gear down" that means an RV should too.  If it says "Truck Speed 35 mph" then don't go over 35 mph.  If there's a "steep hill" or "sharp curves" warning for trucks, then heed them because they're meant for ANY large vehicle.  When you see one of those on-ramp or off-ramp signs that show a truck tipping, then take that as your cue to slow down and be careful.  Even with automatic transmissions you can downshift to keep your speed from picking up.  Sometimes you may see truckers barreling down a hill and exceeding the posted truck limit.  I give those truckers a wide berth!  Hopefully they know the road, but if they don't I don't want to be in their debris field.

ArdraF

Every time I read one of these threads about driving in the mountainous west where I grew up, I have conflicting thoughts.  My first thought is:  everything posted is very good advice and should be heeded.  Western mountain passes deserve respect to safely navigate.  My second thought is:  don't be afraid of the mountains or the upgrades or downgrades.  You can do it!  Just takes some research and planning.

Even if you grew up in the flatlands, the mountains are not that scary to drive.  Yes, you have to be cautious.  Yes, you have to research your route.  (The Mountain Directory is very useful and can be purchased online.)  I *think*, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that Interstate Highways cannot have more than a 6% grade downhill.  If that is a given, all you have to do is gear down.  An exhaust brake for diesels, downshifting for gas engines takes care of it.  If your route research reveals more than a 6% grade on non-interstate roads, ask for advice.  Members of the forum will offer their experiences and keep you safe.

I would hate for anyone to miss seeing all the west has to offer, from the border with Mexico to our Canadian border, just because of the "booga-booga tales" of driving in the mountains.  It's a piece of cake.  A very delicious and enjoyable piece of cake at that!  You can do it -- just exercise reasonable caution.

Margi

If it were me I think for piece of mind I would have it gone over a lot can happen in 1000 miles. As to the braking every one here has given sound advice on that and I have nothing to add. My feeling is if you are in an RV and are in a hurry you should not be in an Rv. Trip planning is everything and pretrip inspections should never be skipped. Good luck to you and happy trails.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom