Hole in Pup Hardtop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NS Canuck

Hi all.  Near the end of last season, I noticed a 1 inch hole/crack in the fiberglass top of my pup.  Darned if I know how it got there, but I picture a couple of little buggers throwing rocks off a highway bridge somewhere.  Anyway, I tried a couple of RV places, but no one seemed to have anything to patch the roof with.  Any suggestions?  I figure that someone out there must have had a similar kind of damage to repair.  It has been stored all winter so no problems, but I need to fix it now.

Thanks. 

NS Canuck

I had a small hole in the fiberglass end cap of my motorhome, and a boat repair shop was able to fix it and exactly match the finish.  They had RVs, boats, a Corvette, and several ATVs in the shop in various stages of repair.

I would suggest a fiberglass shop if you are afraid of any structural damage.  You can buy a fiberglass repair kit at Wal-Mart, too.  Or, if you just want to keep water from coming in and you are not overly concerned about looks or structural damage, fill the hole with caulk and put Eternabond on the roof.

I suggest fiberglass patch and paint also. A body shop would be the best permanent fix.
If your going to caulk the hole then put some expanding foam in the gap and sand it down flush . Then use Dicor self leveling roof caulk. If you caulk then you must maintain the caulk evey year or two at the most. While I am on the subject of caulking... i do alot of rot repairs annuallly. People just dont maintain their coaches. You must recaulk!! On all exterior walls, caulk moldings, windows, doors, marker lights, every where there is a fixture on the wall. Use a silicone caulk. For the roof, use a self leveling roof caulk like Dicor or Royal roof. On the roof, caulk everything that has caulk on it now . A little maintenance prevents thousands of dollars in rot repair and insurance companies wont cover lack of maintenance, even if it is still on warranty manufacturers wont cover it either. Most manufacturers warrantee caulking for  90 days after that your on your own. After a year caulking cracks do to flexing from road travel. Water gets in the cracks and once wood and insuation either foam or glass gets wet it stays wet until the wall skin is removed and allowed to dry out.

Back
Top Bottom