Access to master bake cylinder on a 1981 Winnebago Brave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epson614

I am working on a 1981 Winnebago Brave. After replacing the left front brake line I need to add brake fluid so I can bleed the system.  Can anyone tell me how to access the master brake cylinder. I can see it from under neath but can"t find and way to access it from the top.

Thanks for help
Jim

Epson614 said:
I am working on a 1981 Winnebago Brave. Can anyone tell me how to access the master brake cylinder. I can see it from under neath but can"t find and way to access it from the top.

We had a 1978 Brave and only had to access the master cylinder from the left front wheel well. However, as with our present 1992 Itasca, after you remove the cap, there is not much room to add fluid and the only way to check the level is by feel. On our present coach you can very vaguely see the level through the semi-translucent reservoir, but is still a pain to add fluid.

I have a small 1 gallon Hudson garden sprayer with a copper tube bent to a J shape on the end for just such ocasions. It is alway on the shlef and keeps a gallon of Brakefluid at the ready for me.

May not be practical for you but use your imagination, turkey basters and flavor injectors can be converted for one time use and throw away projects all over the garage. Walmart has that stuff cheap.

wayne

If it is very close to the floor, you might check to see if there is an access panel inside the rig in the floor. Some older vehicles, particularly trucks, had an access port in the floor under the rubber floor mat. I have no idea of motorhomes had the same, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Here's what I use to add fluid.  Of course you have to get to it first.

Attachments

• siphon.jpg
    siphon.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 17
Lou, does that have the one-way valve so it doesn't draw fluid back into the pump when used?  Not sure of the appropriate terminology.  I have one of those for general use (I use it for gas in the weed trimmer) but it doesn't have a valve-closing mechanism so it tends to suck fluid back in when attempting to pump fluid out if you get my drift.

Thanks to all who replied. Since Winnebago couldn't"t help I knew I was in trouble. I think I just might cut an access hole in the floor and make a cover for it like deck plates on a boat.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom