Humming sound in right front of my 1998 Winnebago Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TimJack

Need some help. I own a 1998 Winnebago Adventurer and it runs good. When we get up to about 45 mph and above there is a distinct humming or a roaring sound that seems to come from the right front. Tires are not wearing unevenly, so I don't think is out of alignment. I have had some say that it might be wheel bearings. Does anyone have any ideas on this or has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,

Tim

A slight roaring sound could be wheel bearings -- particularly if the vehicle has sat for long periods of time. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose that fairly quickly.

Another strong possibility if it is more of a humming sound is something that is catching wind as you drive -- windshield molding (the vertical metal molding on my coach had missing screws & was loose), loose front grill, loose body panels, loose wheel well panel, etc, etc, etc.  Such things can often be very hard to find, but one way to isolate them is to tape down likely culprits and go for a drive to see if you still hear the noise. That is how I tracked a strange noise down to rubber windshield molding on a new car I had a few years ago.

Good luck with the search!

If it sounds speed related, like you don't hear it until a certian speed, then the wheel bearing is possible, or even a dragging brake shoe.  If not the wheel, then how about the radiator fan?  They can make a real roar when they kick in.  Is it something that just started, or has it always done this?  

Sarge

Dont laugh....wheelcovers?  Try taking them off then drive.  Remember...don't laugh!

Hey Mark,

I am not laughing and thanks for the information. My local Chevy dealer suggested that it maybe the wheel covers and they took them off and put lubricant on them and put them back on, it didn't help. I will try taking them off the then driving the motorhome and see if that stops the noise. Thanks again for your ideas. Is it cold up in the Rockies?

Thanks,

Tim

TimJack said:
Is it cold up in the Rockies?

Thanks,

Tim

Not really....but we did get 28" of snow last Sunday!  :eek:

By the way...WELCOME to our corner of Winnie owners!  ;D

I'm guessing wheel bearings, but-----

the other day we set off in our 2001 Adventurer as usual but at 45mph approx a whine started. My wife searched and searched as we drove along trying to pinpoint where it was, no luck.

Then I felt in need of a bit more ventilation and opened one of the dash vents, and the noise went away.  You could try that.

Rankjo

Similar problem for me a few years back........ I took off the wheel cover and it was a wheel balancing weight had come loose and was spinning on the rim...... Great sound...but easy fix,,,,whew!! ;D

Another thought on the humming. Could it be your wife? Mine tends to make strange noises when we get into heavy traffic.... :eek:

I am sorry, there are times I can't help myself, but the doctors say I am making good progress..

SargeW said:
If not the wheel, then how about the radiator fan?  They can make a real roar when they kick in.

I had this experience... previous owner never told me about the cooling fans (not always on), and the first time those puppies kicked in I thought an exhaust gasket blew out!  No joke.  Now that I've insulated the doghouse cover it's much quieter.  But that comes and goes, so if your problem is constant after a certain speed then it's likely not the fan.  A reputable brake/tire shop that works on trucks should be able to check the wheel bearings and rule that in or out pretty quickly for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom