Travelling from Upstate New York to Grand Canyon Next Year, looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdenofio

I'm planning a year in advance to take a trip with my family and another couple we frequently RV with from Upstate NY to the Grand Canyon next year. This would be our longest venture. I am trying to find out the best resource on line for plotiing our trip so it is RV freindly for towng, and also plots stops along the way where we can overnight. We will also probably spend some time in the other National Parks in the area such as Zion, Arches or Canyonlands as our time permits. We are planning on a three week excursion. I am hoping to get some suggestions and advice from other members who have made this trip.
Thanks to all who post advice on this board as it is extrmemly useful!!
Ralph :)

If you want to have hookups then there is only one place to camp in the Grand Canyon, Trailer Village on the South Rim. Currently they charge $32 a night with no Senior Access/Age pass discounts. The other non-hookup campgrounds have a 30 foot limit. If you wish to go to Trailer Village then make your reservations at least six months in advance, even further if possible. They are always full since it is a small campground and the only game in town. You won't need a tow car at the canyon since they have an excellent shuttle service. May and June are the best months to visit the canyon. The best weather without the afternoon monsoons that you get in July, August and September. Any other months you run the risk of snow, since the south rim is at 7000 feet elevation. I would recommend the south rim over the north rim since there is so much more to see and do there. If you are interested in a mule ride to the bottom then make your reservation NOW since they are full a year in advance. May and June are also the best months to see the California Condors fly. They make regular appearances in front of the Bright Angel Lodge. If you would like to see some Condor photos click on the link below. I spend every May and June there photographing them. I will be there is two weeks.

One resource that will prove invaluable out here in the west is the Mountain Directory -- West.  This is a publication used by truckers, and RVers, to aid in routing a trip.  It describes the grades and suitablity of roads for large vehicles and towing.  I have found it invaluable in avoiding white-knuckle experiences.  It is available for sale on-line at http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

I will leave it to others to help with camping at/near the Grand Canyon, we've only camped there once and that was on the north rim. We loved it but I believe that our size coach (40'5") is no longer allowed into the campgrounds.

As far as routing, a lot depends on how you want to travel, interstates or highways. The fastest, the most expensive (tolls) and most boring is I-90 to Ohio, I-70 to St. Louis, I-44 to Oklahoma City and I-40 to Flagstaff, AZ. Total miles over 2,200. You won't have any driving issues along the way and, if you keep a Woodalls or Trailer Life directory and belong to Passport America, you'll have no problems finding a place to stop overnite. Many of us travel the US without reservations. This is probably closest to the shortest and fastest. If you like to do a lot of sightseeing along the way, look for a route along US highways; US 30, 20, etc. Loads of great places to stop, just check out the state visitor bureau as you cross each state border. A lot depends on what interests you, so the best bet is to check out the recommendations at the visitor bureaus.

We left home over 3,000 miles ago in early March and except for an FMCA convention and a couple of rallies which somewhat defined this trip, most of the places we visited and nearly all of the campgrounds we stayed at were last minute decisions. We have found some wonderful attractions and most of the campgrounds were quite nice, without any advance planning.

Ditto Tom's recommendation for reservations at Grand Canyon's Trailer Village if you plan on staying there. You can luck into a cancellation (we did) but you sure don't want to count on it. Also, think about reservations if you're planning on staying at Mather Campground, the NPS campground in Grand Canyon. They're starting to set aside tent vs RV sites and the RV sites are usually reserved ahead of time. You can almost always get a tent site but they're 15-feet long or shorter.

Grand Canyon is an amazing place. Be sure to use the park shuttles....you'll be much happier not trying to find a parking spot at some of the overlooks and if you want to go out to Hermit's Rest you can only get there on the shuttle or on bike (BTW, the shuttle buses can take your bicycle if you don't want to pedal back).

Oh, and Tom, there are no condors at Grand Canyon. I know this because I have never seen one there.  ;) Oh, wait, there is the stuffed one in the VC.

NPS places to visit in the area include Wutpatki, Sunset Volcano, and Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff. NPS sites on the way to or from GRCA include Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, and Great Sand Dunes in southern Colorado.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Wendy said:
Oh, and Tom, there are no condors at Grand Canyon. I know this because I have never seen one there.  ;) Oh, wait, there is the stuffed one in the VC.

Wendy
Cortez CO

I will be there in less than two weeks and I will bet you an ice cream cone I will see one in less than three days in the park.

seilerbird said:
I will be there in less than two weeks and I will bet you an ice cream cone I will see one in less than three days in the park.

No bet. Everyone I know has seen one of those stupid birds except me  :mad: But we did have an excellent Ranger talk on condors and several people at the talk think they saw a condor in the distance and Ranger Maggie said it "might" have been an immature.

Wendy said:
No bet. Everyone I know has seen one of those stupid birds except me  :mad: But we did have an excellent Ranger talk on condors and several people at the talk think they saw a condor in the distance and Ranger Maggie said it "might" have been an immature.

Wendy

When we were at the north rim a couple of years ago, we went to the Ranger Talk on Condors. Right on schedule one started circling overhead  ;D

BernieD said:
Wendy

When we were at the north rim a couple of years ago, we went to the Ranger Talk on Condors. Right on schedule one started circling overhead  ;D

Shhhh.  You want to get Wendy upset again because the condors seem to be avoiding her. ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone that responded. I knew I would get some great advice here. I do plan on booking now for a trip next year. My biggest concern was plotting my route and I was attempting to use google earth but it didn't seem to friendly to what I wanted to do. I want to be sure I didn't plot a unfriendly towing route and also want to be sure I can plan places to stay along the way. I intend to take a a scenic route andwill be in no big hurry planning on only driving 500 to 600 miles a day. I'm not sure if that is an aggressive schedule but I don't want to be rushed. I am hoping I can stop at some landmarks along the way and do some sightseeing.

500 to 600 miles a day is big-time rushing for many of us. That's like 10 hours of driving without stopping to take in the sights. Now, if you want to hurry across the middle of the country so you have more time in the west, that's ok, as long as you realize that 500-600 is a lot of daily miles. But I bet you'll enjoy yourselves a lot more if you do more like 200 to 300 miles a day.

Wendy
Cortez CO

p.s. Please don't tell me if you get to Grand Canyon and see a Condor !

Wendy said:

Actually you can't tell an immature from an adult at a distance. The difference is not size but the color of the head. The immature has a black head and the adult has a orange/red head.

I guess all of us that have seen a condor should mention it here just for Wendy's benefit so she will be assured they do exist. ;D ;D ;D

Wendy,

Don't feel bad.  I haven't seen one either so we'll just have to commiserate with one another.  :D

Ron,

Behave yourself!

ArdraF

Thanks Wendy, my wife and I never have traveled cross contry except by plane so I guess 300 miles a day is more of a realistic plan. By the way last year my wife and I were at the Canyon and I snapped this photo. I am not certain if it is a Condor but I would like to think it is. You'll see one I'm sure.

Attachments

• P1080096.JPG
    P1080096.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 35
Yep, that's a Condor. I think we're going to have to go camp host or work at Grand Canyon so we can be there the whole summer and then maybe I'll see one of the dang things. BTW, I went to California High School whose mascot was................ the Condor.

Wendy
Cortez CO

rdenofio said:
Thanks Wendy, my wife and I never have traveled cross contry except by plane so I guess 300 miles a day is more of a realistic plan. By the way last year my wife and I were at the Canyon and I snapped this photo. I am not certain if it is a Condor but I would like to think it is. You'll see one I'm sure.

Absolutely it is a condor, I can see the numbers on his wings but I can't see what numbers they are so I can't tell you anything about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom