Chiggers, anyone? (How do you spell relief?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

Didn't want to hijack the "Tick" thread, but need relief remedies for chigger bites.

'Tis the season........

Chiggers are immature mites that bury themselves under the skin.  Once you scratch them .............. it is all over.  I have tried everything under the sun and without much relief.  Although I must admit that I have not tried the Camphophenique suggested by Ron. 

Best advice is prevention, not very good advice for anyone who already has them. 

Chiggers need air to breathe.  If you dab a bit of nail polish over where they have burrowed under your skin, they will soon suffocate (a Southern remedy - we take our chiggers seriously here).  The only downside is that you will be walking around with little colored dots on your legs and/or arms.

Steve

Lou, I haven't had a chigger in fifty years. But, that's not long enough to forget them! :mad:

Don't have a remedy other than hydrocotisone.

Just wanted you to know that your post made my ankles itch!  ::)

Luca1369 said:
Chiggers need air to breathe.  If you dab a bit of nail polish over where they have burrowed under your skin, they will soon suffocate (a Southern remedy - we take our chiggers seriously here).  The only downside is that you will be walking around with little colored dots on your legs and/or arms. Steve

My recent reading and research says the bug does NOT burrow under the skin, but that the bite is much like a mosquito bite and the toxic fluids that dissolve your skin tissue is what causes the itch and inflammation.

Anti-histamines (like caladryl? and Benadryl) and hydro cortisone are the most often suggested itch reliefs.

I seem to remember a product called Chigard (sic) that worked really well for me last time, but I can't find any reference to it now.

I think the way this product worked was to stop the itch then quickly seal the area from exposure to the air.

I had tried the stuff the local drug store had for chiggers but it didn't work at all but the Camphophenique sure did and relief was very fast.

Lou, I recently read the same report.  Exactly as you have reported it.  The bug doesn't burrow, but the bite and enzymes that releases desolves the skin cells and causes the itching/swelling.  It sure destroyed all my childhood beliefs (as far as chiggers are concerned - I still have a few others that are still valid  ;D

Daisy

A chigger bite started really bothering me about a half hour ago.  I smeared some Lanacane on it - that took care of most of the itch.  If it comes back I'll try the nail polish.

Why not liquid bandage.  Made for the purpose and works -- and it is clear.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_bandage 

Carl, I'm sure it works every bit as good as the nail polish, but then, I don't think the polish (alone) works either.  I didn't see any claim to medicinal benefits from the liquid bandage.

As an aside - I have used plain old super clue on a couple of occasions to stop some fairly healthy bleeding from hand cuts from careless use misuse of a box cutter.  It works very well and has even prevented the need for stitches.

Chiggers --- memories of childhood --- running around on the grass, playing games with all the neighborhood kids while the sun began to set.  :eek:   Then ... itching like crazy!  :eek:

Mom used the Camphophenique that Ron mentioned for a bunch of different "cures", but I think with chigger bites we just suffered through them.  Perhaps a rite of spring/summer passage and a rite of passage that I wouldn't like to revisit?  ::)  

Oh, but weren't those the good ol' days?  ;D   June bugs under the street lights .... baseball at the town park .... :D  Back to reality:  chiggers for me at my present age would NOT be fun.

Margi

Luca1369 said:
Chiggers need air to breathe.  If you dab a bit of nail polish over where they have burrowed under your skin, they will soon suffocate (a Southern remedy - we take our chiggers seriously here).  The only downside is that you will be walking around with little colored dots on your legs and/or arms.

Steve

Clear polish works great and folks can't really tell you have it on. It has worked as a solution to chiggers for me in the past. Ichting just thinking about my last experience with them.....

Tim

Tell you what - that Lanacane ointment has been working for a few hours now.  Looks like I won't need the nail polish.  That's good - if I used it, I'd probably feel the uncontrollable urge to walk around the house singing "I feel pretty - oh so pretty........."

I think Lanacane is handy for more than chigger bites - maybe we'll keep a tube in the rig.

davemittan said:
"I feel pretty - oh so pretty.........".

Dave, I see you posted that at 5:00 am so I'll cut you some slack, but it's gonna take more than a  little  polish and a  big  buffer to get there from here, my friend ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

BruceinFL said:
Try Tea Tree Oil available at most all health food stores.

Bruce, take a look at my avitar and tell me when was the last time you saw that face in a health food store ???  ;D ;D

Seriously, I googled "Tea Tree Oil" and it appears it will cure everything except maybe the Workhorse W-22 seized brake problem that has dominated the board lately;) :D :D :D

Tea Tree oil might just do the job too.  Never knew about Tea tree oil till we lived in Australia though.  We keep it on hand since it is good on many things including bee stings.

Ron said:
Tea Tree oil might just do the job too.  Never knew about Tea tree oil till we lived in Australia though.  We keep it on hand since it is good on many things including bee stings.

It is supposed to be good for toenail fungus too.  Not that I have any........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom