Surround Sound Buzz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scott18

Hi All -

Brand new to this forum and, in fact, to RVing.  Last fall we bought our 1st motorhome ('99 Chieftain, 35U) and really like it.  I've had a few minor issues which have been corrected, but the latest is a buzzing sound from the surround sound speakers.  This only happens when I run it through the inverter.  Nothing unusual when running on the generator or on shore power.  I had the inverter itself checked out and they tell me it is fine.  They thought it had something to do with the batteries, but I just replaced both coach batteries. 

Any experience with this??  Any help to a newbie would be appreciated.

Scott

Well. Some folks seem to think I'm really down on MSW inverters (Your choice, Modified Sine Wave or Modified Square Wave)

The waveform reminds me of the steps that farmers use to get over a fence.  It's called a STILE, (the steps)  Stile is also a character in a science fiction series, and ... it is also the name for a pile of horse..... Dung.

The reason I advise against MSW inverters is... (Among other things) the subject of this thread.  They can cause a BUZZING or hum in the surround system

They can cause interference bars or artifacts on a television

They can affect how a microwave works

And in some cases they need not be powering the device to have this effect (just be in the rig next door)

Two suggestions

1; Do not use the surround sound on inverter

2: True sine wave inverter

Pick one

First of all, I agree with John as far as he went BUT if the inverter is a Hart with integrated charger, it is a toss up as to whether it is the inverter or the charger or both.  In my MH it is both.

The problem can be resolved by someone who really understands this interference but a new sine wave inverter is cheaper.  :'(

You pays your money and takes your chances with these inverters.

I have a relatively cheap MSW inverter and an el cheapo Phillips surround sound system.

My system sounds great on either inverter or on shore power.  Not the slightest speaker hiss or hum.  Pure luck, I'm afraid........

If you're sure everything is properly grounded, you might try the following:

I would suggest you try isolating your receiver/amplifier input cables (including the power cable) as far from the speaker wires as possible.  Make sure the power cord to the amp is not coiled near the speaker wires.  Try running power and signal wires at 90? angles from each other where you can near the box. 

Some MSW inverters are just inherently noisier than others and you won't be able to prevent the radiated noise, but I've heard too many hum free RV sound systems to put all the blame on MSW inverters.  JMHO

Jim Godward said:
First of all, I agree with John as far as he went BUT if the inverter is a Hart with integrated charger, it is a toss up as to whether it is the inverter or the charger or both.  In my MH it is both.

The problem can be resolved by someone who really understands this interference but a new sine wave inverter is cheaper.   :'(

He stated that the problem ONLY occures when runnign on the inverter

When running on the inverter the converter/charger is dcormat and thus not the problem

Now if he said the problem happened when runniing on shore power.. You would be 100%

Back
Top Bottom