Anybody willing to rent out their RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesing

We are making the big move to Australia and wanted to see a whole lot of the country with our 2 kids before we leave USA in a few months. We've looked into renting through many companies and am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for any other options (there are so many hidden additional costs through rental companies). We are leaving from Florida and ending up in Los Angeles. I'm basically wondering if there's anybody that needs an RV relocated (eg. military family?) that would be up for making some extra money and how in the world I go about finding them?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers!

That (obviously) would be a huge leap of faith for someone.  To most of us, our RV represents one of the treasures in our lives.  I, personally, couldn't imagine renting it out to someone.  Not to mention the extremely unfortunate scenario of a breakdown half way there.  With a rental company, you have support and (likely) a replacement.  With a private individual, you just have a mess.

I truly think that your only option is to rent with one of the national rental chains.

I agree with Jon and Ron.

There are many reasons that I would not want to rent out my RV. Two that come to mind immediately are;

I would not want to feel responsible for your ruined vacation (trip) if the coach broke down, or otherwise disappointed you, and I sure do not want to receive a "come and get it" call from milepost xx on I-70 somewhere in Kansas.

Other reasons range from personal to legal.

I think you will find most people who own RVs will not rent them out. 

And as a renter of an RV, I wouldn't want to rent from a private person either.  How can you be assured that the equipment you rent will work, who is going to fix it, what will you do while it's being repaired, will the owner repair it, how will you get home if they don't. There are too many unknowns.  You will be better off paying the cost of the rental companies and using their equipment.  I know it seems pricey, but it's less costly than buying an RV.  You will have the support of a large company, pay the costs, and just walk away when you are finished with your trip.  It's really a nice way to see the country.

Marsha~

One big legal issue might be insurance.  Most of the policies that I have ever seen would be voided if the RV is rented to others. 
Loaning to a friend is one thing, but anytime anything is rented it puts it Onto the commercial area.  I would never consider renting without WRITTEN approval from my insurance co.

Tony

Tony, that's probably the biggest legal stumbling block of the bunch, and the one I cite when people inquire about the possibility.

I'm surprised how many folks think that waving a few dollars in your face will tempt you to take the gamble.

Renting our RV to someone is not an option.  If the person turned the darned thing over on a freeway, whose loss would it be?  No way!  If the person got the plumbing plugged up who would have to repair it?  No way!  And the legal issues are huge....

Back in our working days we weren't able to use our motorhome for a very long time.  It sat in our driveway for a year, much to the dismay of a family member who couldn't understand why we wouldn't rent it out and get some money out of it.  She just didn't realize that the little bit of money we'd get in rent wouldn't be worth any of the associated hassle and risk of renting it to strangers who might seriously damage it.

The commercial RV rental companies are in the business of providing RVs to people and they understand the issues.  My advice is to stick with one of them.

ArdraF

There are ways around the insurance stumbling block, but frankly, I still don't think that it's worth it.  Although all of us would love to help the OP out, it's not something that makes sense.

I saw some rentals on Craig's list from private owners,you may want to check that site out. Good luck but I to agree I sure would not want to rent my unit out. Just bought my unit and I thought about renting a unit to make sure that we would like it ,but you are right all the charges can add up

We had talked about it, but the biggest things were, first we keep 100% of our camping supplies in there and I don't really have another place to keep that stuff, and second that's my master bedroom.  No one but my wife and myself sleep in our own personal beds.  It's just a personal preference, but we don't let visitors (No matter who they are) sleep in our bed at home either.  My cousin (who is like a brother to me) asked to use it for his honeymoon and offered to pay us half of what a hotel would cost during his trip.  I told him the best way to screw up a relationship is to let money get involved.  He would be better off getting a smaller class C rig from a rental place anyway.  He has no experience driving something as large as a 37' Class A, and would probably feel more comfortable in an 18'-22' Class C.

I have to agree with everyone here...we did rent several rv's, two from rental companies and one from a private party and all turned out fine.  Difference was, the rental units were plain and basic.  Most of us have saved to get our beautiful homes on wheels and if someone damaged something in it I'd be heartbroken.  If anyone is going to scratch my wood it's going to be me!  I actually put better linens and towels than I have had in my stick house.  It's our wonderful getaway and hopefully soon will be our full time residence for at least several months out of the year!!  I think you should try Craigslist, most of the people on this forum are on this forum because they care so much about their rigs!  I know that's why I got involved.  Good Luck!

Asking people on an RV forum not such a good idea! These people that are on here are all about there RV's.. I've seen "A LOT" of craigslist adds of people renting them out though..

Great analogy on the shorts!

I wouldn't know where to live if I rented mine, but back when I had a sailboat I chartered it out twice.  That was enough.  Worked thru a broker and they handled the extra insurance, but one guy ran it aground and then he also managed to get air in the fuel, so I had to high tail it to where the boat was and ppurge the fuel line.  Nothing really bad happened, but it was enough to keep me from doing it again.

OTOH, I have a friend with 2 RV's and they have rented the second one out.  To a mutual friend. 

We used http://privatemotorhomerental.com a couple years before we bought our coach.  The private renters all use a 3rd party for insurance.  The 3rd party firm also supplies all the forms with the appropriate legal jargon. 

We were doing a family vacation in Southern Cal and found the RV we wanted to rent on the above website.  It was from a couple in Bakersfield that had bought a little more than they could afford and were renting it out to help make the payments.  For us, the price was a little better and there were less restrictions (generator use, miles, etc.).  In addition, it gave us the chance to see if we liked riding around in a 40 foot bus.  It was kind of an extended test drive.  We also didn't have to advertise that we were newbies on the side of the RV!

I would never want to rent my coach but I understand why some would.  We treated the coach with kid gloves but I am sure there are some out there that wouldn't be so kind.

Back
Top Bottom