EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Davis Cabinets work  (Read 18870 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Davis Cabinets work
« on: August 25, 2005, 04:37:51 PM »
Hi Jim,

We're at Camp Davis and Shaun just finished. So I'm typing on my new desk although we haven't bought a chair yet  ;D

Just called Monaco to see if they can get us in early (tomorrow instead of Monday), but had to leave a voicemail. That might also dictate where we stay tonight. This is an OK campground, but the trains wake you up quite often  ;D
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Davis Cabinets work
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:44:35 PM »
Do we have to wait for you to get a chair before we see Shauns work? ??? ??? ??? ;D  Looking forward to the photos.

What trains wake you up.  They never seem to bother me.  Fact I didn't hear one since we been here. ;D
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »
Ron

No photos until the cherry wood has aged and blended to the same color as the rest of the coach  ;D

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 05:29:09 PM »
Ron

No photos until the cherry wood has aged and blended to the same color as the rest of the coach  ;D

Does that mean we will be requiored to wait till QZ to see SHauns work? ;D ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 07:22:12 PM »
Qz will be too soon for the cherry to blend in Ron.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 07:27:12 PM »
Are you hinting that we may have to wait till Moab ??? ??? ???\

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 07:46:12 PM »
OK, enough nagging. Here's before, during and after photos of the sofa/desk area. Shaun did a couple of other jobs also.

Anyone have a Euro chair to donate to a good cause? Will only be used for forum work and for sysop power naps.

Woody

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 08:26:58 PM »
Tom,

The cabs look like cherry. If so, and they can be removed, leave them out in bright sunlight for a couple of days and they will darken up rapidly.

Woody

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 08:32:11 PM »
LOL Woody, they just got permanently installed today, so I don't think they'll be coming out any time soon.

Understand they'll darken up with time. We have cherry cabinets at home and, when we added a couple of things, it didn't take too long for the colors to get closer together.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 09:16:16 PM »
Looks great Tom.  Looks like you need a couple cushions till you get the chair. ;D  Thanks for posting the photos.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 09:24:43 PM »
Thanks Ron. Do you have any spare cushions?

Shaun also added a shelf under the bedroom TV. Don't know why Monaco didn't make provision for a DVD or VCR back there. Presumably they assumed the one up front being switched was sufficient.

He couldn't complete a third project because the Corian supplier messed him around. He's getting it made for me to pick up Tomorrow or Monday and I'll install it when we get home.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 09:36:23 PM »
Looks good Tom.  Shaun does excellent work.

Oh don't have any spare cushions but might be able to find a folding patio chair. ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 09:43:37 PM »
might be able to find a folding patio chair

LOL that's what I'm using temporarily. Sure beats sitting on the floor. We checked Countryside Interiors (near Davis); They had a couple of Ekrones chairs I liked, but I decided to wait until we get home and try the ones we have there.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 12:32:23 AM »
Tom,

But you will pay sales tax there!  VBG
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 05:54:54 AM »
LOL that's what I'm using temporarily. Sure beats sitting on the floor. We checked Countryside Interiors (near Davis); They had a couple of Ekrones chairs I liked, but I decided to wait until we get home and try the ones we have there.

Tom,

Nice work. When looking for Ekorness chairs remember that no one retailer is allowed to carry all models. Makes it difficult to find exactly what you want. There is a retailer in Eugene but I don't remember the street.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 06:59:23 AM »
Jim

Betty gave me the name and address of a dealer in Eugene, although we didn't get there yet. We visited one in Springfield.

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 11:18:45 AM »
Tom,

On the main street of Junction City there is an RV furniture store.  When we were there they had 3/4 size Scandinavian chairs that looked good.  The 3/4 size fit nicely in a MH.  If you drive from Davis to main street you turn right and it's on the right.

Jerry

JerryF  ;D  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 11:40:10 AM »
Thanks Jerry. That's Countryside Interiors who I mentioned we'd already visited.

JerArdra

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 10:30:40 AM »
TOM,

I looked at the photos and I LOVE your new desk "sans the chair".  You'll love it more and more as you use it.

JerryF
JerryF  ;D  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 11:09:55 AM »
Thanks Jerry. If you imagine it flipped to the other side of the coach it should look very familiar  ;D

DonJordan

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 04:05:10 PM »
Your new computer desk looks great, Tom.  I've never seen a poor job from Davis!  Once you get the chair you want lets have a picture of you at work at the desk  ;) .
Don Jordan.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 05:48:37 PM »
The desk and cabinets came out OK Don, but there was some sloppy workmanship when installing the shelf under the TV. The guy wasn't able to get the TV out, but yanked on it and tore one hold-down screw out. He said "I can't do anything about that".

His plan B was to use screws to one side of the shelf and silicone to support the other side. When I objected and explained that silicone wasn't going to support the shelf with a DVD player &/or VCR on it, he agreed and decided to try putting a screw in at angle, which meant insufficient wood. I tried to let him know that wouldn't work, but he went ahead and split the end of the new shelf.

Plan C was to glue the end of the shelf and use metal L-brackets with very small screws which I think will tear out the first time I put a load on it. At that point it was easier for me to put larger/longer screws in when I get home.

When he left, he didn't clean up and I left the sawdust on the bed, not saying anything, but letting Shaun discover it.

I guess I'm just too picky.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 08:39:14 PM by Tom »

Jim Dick

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 03:00:01 PM »
Tom,

That sure doesn't sound like something Shaun would condone. I hope he took care of the situation.

Jim

Titusville, Florida
U.S. Navy Veteran
2000 American Dream 40' DP
2012 GMC Terrain
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T Motorcycle
http://photo.net/photos/jimdick

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 03:23:53 PM »
Not really Jim. He made a joke about the sawdust on the bed, but still left it for us to clean up. I didn't bother to talk to him about the other stuff, but might if I see him when I go back tomorrow to pick up the Corian. His guy wasn't having a good day - he'd been sick for 3 days. Also, I turned up a day early (by Shaun's calendar, not mine), so I guess I should be grateful he got me into the schedule.

Tom,

I'd definitely talk to Shaun about it. When work is done by anybody they should clean up any mess they have made.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 03:37:22 PM by Jim Dick »

DonJordan

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 08:12:28 PM »
Tom,

Sorry to hear about the sloppy work on the shelf under the tv.  That defiinitely doesn't sound like Sean's normal quality to me.  Hope you get it taken care of to your satisfaction.
Don Jordan.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2005, 09:13:28 PM »
We don't plan to take the coach back to Davis,  Don. We're currently at the Monaco service center in Harrisburg and our appointment is tomorrow morning. Don't yet know how many days we'll be here, but we'd like to be home Wednesday night or Thursday morning. Have plans for the weekend and I have stuff to do before we leave home Friday or latest first light Saturday.

I have to drive over to Junction City tomorrow to pick up some Corian that Shaun's supplier screwed up on. I'll be cutting/installing that myself when we get home. I'll also fix the TV and shelf myself. This really was sloppy workmanship.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 09:18:57 PM by Tom »

Hosted by Over The Network